Small things matter

Wood stoves, pellets and other bio-fuels
Mr Gus

Re: Small things matter

Post by Mr Gus »

You are on the right side of hadrians wall for that then 😂
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Absolutely, as judged by... ;)
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Rice rinsing..

As I've mentioned before, i'm pulled both ways in terms of get the best outof the rice versus pouring copious amou ts of drinki g water down the drain rinsing starch off my 2 cups of rice.

Typically its 4+ fill & stir (chopstick) to get it to run clear, then 2 more cups for the cooking water..
I remembered joe ? saying let it sit in the starchy water for 8 ?? hours, & decided to try the sit approach.

5 hours was all I had, so not exact science, will try 8 another time.

stirred to loosen starch multiple times.
Rinsed off 1x
Pot in pot cooking high pressure 12 mins ...not bad but not that great, a tiny bit of water visible (unusually) after 10 mins natural release then spoon fluffing
Mostly ok but soggy in places, ok-ish separation, overall not stand out, but definitely edible.

However, the amount of water used was minimal & I've made stickier rice inadvertently.

Any ideas what optimum soak time is to rid more starch, the 5 hours & wet strikes me as too long with absorption & subsequent releast compared to the multiple rinse & cook straightaway method.
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Mr Gus wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:30 am Rice rinsing..

As I've mentioned before, i'm pulled both ways in terms of get the best outof the rice versus pouring copious amou ts of drinki g water down the drain rinsing starch off my 2 cups of rice.

Typically its 4+ fill & stir (chopstick) to get it to run clear, then 2 more cups for the cooking water..
I remembered joe ? saying let it sit in the starchy water for 8 ?? hours, & decided to try the sit approach.

5 hours was all I had, so not exact science, will try 8 another time.

stirred to loosen starch multiple times.
Rinsed off 1x
Pot in pot cooking high pressure 12 mins ...not bad but not that great, a tiny bit of water visible (unusually) after 10 mins natural release then spoon fluffing
Mostly ok but soggy in places, ok-ish separation, overall not stand out, but definitely edible.

However, the amount of water used was minimal & I've made stickier rice inadvertently.

Any ideas what optimum soak time is to rid more starch, the 5 hours & wet strikes me as too long with absorption & subsequent releast compared to the multiple rinse & cook straightaway method.
I too don’t like wasting water with rinsing, so I soak off the excess starch, however I find 15 mins is plenty…
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

I simply fiill the pot, let it steep all day then flush the old water out until clear for cooking.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

After we talked about this before, I measured how much water I "wasted."
For 4 or 5 fl oz of rice (about 3 or 4 oz weight, enough for the 2 of us nowadays) and rinsing it 3 times, draining it through a sieve each time, I use a whole pint of water! Not enough to worry about. Then leave to soak in twice its volume of fresh water for as long as you can, ours usually stands an hour or so, then add salt, bring to the boil, reduce heat as low as you can and cover tightly. Takes abour 30 mins from lighting the gas.

My old boss told me when we were thinking of getting a water meter that when he had his installed he started off by going out to read it periodically... soon gave up as it hardly moved at all!

When we had chickens I used to put the rice drainings into their mash, nowadays it just goes down the drain as I don't want the compost bucket and heap to get too wet.
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Im not a big fan of adding salt to dishes, & don't to steamed rice, what does it add exactly?

Salt in so many things, soy sauce, pre made curry sauce etc that I've never found the need.

I do have some rice flavourings, with plum, seaweed etc admittedly, & the cornish salts Iike are condiments for after cooking, I wasted some on a heavy on the garlic & paprika roast chicken this evening ( mainly for the dogs) & the salt added there is more habit than necessity, ..i'm concerned for their salt intake as its them who tend to get the stock over a few days.
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Spectacular sunny & Windy day up here, all systems charging. Starting to fill the front logstore for next Winter too.
:D
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

there's something innately "right" about a well stacked wood shed, so very satisfying.

Is that some flowering cherry tree wood in the wheelbarrow Joe?

moxi
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

ignore that it looks more like willow now that i opened the photo

Moxi