Small things matter

Wood stoves, pellets and other bio-fuels
Joeboy

Re: Small things matter

Post by Joeboy »

Moxi wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:48 am ignore that it looks more like willow now that i opened the photo

Moxi
No worries, I'm not too hot at tree ID'ing. I have larch, spruce, Ash, beech and cherry as well as Scots pine in amongst the current batch. I'm basically processing all the smaller (thigh dia) and downwards at the moment to see just how much we've got.

The big dia log lengths are going into under tarp storage for future years.

I really enjoy the process and try to do about 6 wheelbarrows full.of logs then split each day i go at it. Currently playing Log Jenga as there is about 1 cube split & dry behind the black shed dookit to be used before I can fully fill the whole front store for Winter 23. :D

19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
openspaceman

Post by openspaceman »

Moxi wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:48 am ignore that it looks more like willow now that i opened the photo

Moxi
I thought cherry too but cannot see any lenticels so maybe rowan.

I'd be looking at a bit more through ventilation for the log store if possible
Morso S11
FIT
16 Sharp PV panels facing WSW 4kW
Solarmax 4200S inverter
Non FIT
3 Canadian solar DC coupled 1.75kW facing SSE
Storage
Growatt SPA3000TL BL inverter ac coupled
Growatt GBLI6532 6.5kWh lithium phosphate battery
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

openspaceman wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:25 pm

Moxi
I thought cherry too but cannot see any lenticels so maybe rowan.

I'd be looking at a bit more through ventilation for the log store if possible
Thank you, it blows a hoolie here on a regular enough basis that they'll be down to 14% or so quickly. I'll actually try and remember to test maybe tomorrow then see how it is in a couple of months. The surrounding fences are staggered slats (mostly) so air passes quite freely. Refelting the shed roof next week if snow stays away and modifying a wee bit of the woodstore roof as I had a drip through Winter which i'd like to avoid going forward if I can. Could be Rowan! :) I'm still helping a mate as he's in a fair bit of pain so we work together and I do the heavy part of the pollarding.

It's good fun and keeps me on my toes.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
openspaceman

Post by openspaceman »

Joeboy wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:40 pm that they'll be down to 14% or so quickly. I'll actually try and remember to test maybe tomorrow then see how it is in a couple of months. The surrounding fences are staggered slats (mostly) so air passes quite freely.
That's good, I did wonder how things dried up there, My log store is roofed in transparent polycarbonate corrugated sheets for a bit of solar gain, and yest it gets below 20%in a season.

I have just refilled the bay which I used up in the run up to Xmas, broached the February partition of the second bay a week early.

Met a friendly neighbour while posting a letter and she was telling me about the £300 fine I would get for heating with a wood stove, prompted by a story on the BBC website I think, that led to this:

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/wood-bu ... quirements

Which contains this paragraph:

"Campaign group Mums for Lungs is calling on the government to take much stricter measures, including:

Phasing out the sale of new wood stoves by 2027 banning the use of wood burners, unless they're the only source of heat in a household

By 2023, labelling wood-burning stoves as harmful

Empowering local authorities to stop unlawful burning obliging owners of wood-burning stoves to register their stoves with the local authority, so that it's easier for local authorities to enforce the rules around them

Launching a public health campaign to raise awareness of the dangers associated with wood-burning stoves. "
Morso S11
FIT
16 Sharp PV panels facing WSW 4kW
Solarmax 4200S inverter
Non FIT
3 Canadian solar DC coupled 1.75kW facing SSE
Storage
Growatt SPA3000TL BL inverter ac coupled
Growatt GBLI6532 6.5kWh lithium phosphate battery
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Wonder what "mums for lungs" plan for ice vehicles on the school run is!? ..seasonal woodburning compared to pavement parking, road blocking illegal engine idling, exhaust pipes at small person level (increased particulate & nasties inhaled) & not simply walking kids to & from school from nearby?I

Getting drive thrus to operate an engines off policy? :lol:
Banning gas hobs in domestic settings & bbq's.
Inside home air-care for all the offgassing crud bought & installed, gassed air fresheners, deodorants, hairsprays, perfumes
Ensuring kitchen extractors are up to par in draw & filtering standards, sufficient home air exchange etc 🤔

Cheap candles, be they scented or unscented ...damaging via pollution.

Probably not as marketable, certainly limits the opportunity to wear pyjamas on the morning drive in. :roll:
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

A wonderful intense log splitting day today, SWMBO was out adventuring so I threw together a 3 type sausage & onion casserole, some garden tatties from the store, a neep and peas. Whole shebang done on the WBS. :D

I then threw together a Cullen skink in my brand new (looks like) £1 pot that SWMBO scored last week. I'm pretty sure it was Mildred's from George & Mildred?

Once the sausage casserole was plated up (4 plates), there was enough left over that I hoyed another pack of sausages in and its back on the wbs.

This has been a sublime day, only 7kWh in from the arrays but I'm focused on the Winter unit that punches well above its weight. An incredible, versatile machine. It also produced about 5 gallon of hot water too.

Logged and split about 1/3rd tonne, it all tested out at 43% moisture content.

Imageupload image to url
Last edited by Joeboy on Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Joeboy wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:43 pm A wonderful intense log splitting day today, SWMBO was out adventuring so I threw together a 3 type sausage & onion casserole, some garden tatties from the store, a neep and peas. Whole shebang done on the WBS. :D

I then threw together a Cullen skink in my brand new (looks like) £1 pot that SWMBO scored last week. I'm pretty sure it was Mildred's from George & Mildred?

Once the sausage casserole was plated up (4 plates), there was enough left over that I hoyed another pack of sausages in and its back on the wbs.

This has been a sublime day, only 7kWh in from the arrays but I'm focused on the Winter unit that punches well above its weight. An incredible, versatile machine. It also produced about 5 gallon of hot water too.

Sounds like that is going to be a never ending casserole, just keep adding stuff as you remove some. :D
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Fintray wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:50 pm
Joeboy wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:43 pm A wonderful intense log splitting day today, SWMBO was out adventuring so I threw together a 3 type sausage & onion casserole, some garden tatties from the store, a neep and peas. Whole shebang done on the WBS. :D

Sounds like that is going to be a never ending casserole, just keep adding stuff as you remove some. :D
Spoke to SWMBO about that, a rottenpot I think was the name for that in Europe? One of the lads posted a wee while back? I'm game! :D
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Some long running ones listed here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perpetual ... necessary.
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Bangkok it is then! :D
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage