Fintray

Re: Small things matter

Post by Fintray »

Joeboy wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:19 pm Bangkok it is then! :D
You're gonna need a bigger WBS then!

3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Fintray wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:19 pm
Joeboy wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:19 pm Bangkok it is then! :D
You're gonna need a bigger WBS then!

Oh look at that! Pull up a stool, couple of 🍻, roll me home at midnight. :twisted:
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Fintray wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:07 pm Some long running ones listed here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perpetual ... necessary.
Patrick O'Brian mentions it (olla podrida) in the Andes in one of the Aubrey and Maturin novels. Maybe named through the eyes/reporting of the Spanish Maturin. A welcome relief from dried guinea-pig, ISTR!
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

There's a lot to be said for those.basic s/steel handled bowls, especially useful if bought to sit neatly in your pressure cooker, the outer pots water can be used a few times over (thus far ive used the same water for 4x 2 cup measures of rice over 3 days, & 2 lots of mince cooked for the dogs, not the greatest water saving but savings nonetheless, ..then the washing up thats negated as well, daily water savings start to build up.

I always thought the eternal stew pots were myth, wonder when the last uk one died out!? ..about the time of elf n' safety!?
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

I’ve read that eternal soup is the food humans evolved eating. It enabled us to do away with the huge jaw muscles and bone mass the jaw muscles connected to, which therefore made space for our big brains.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Stinsy wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:23 am I’ve read that eternal soup is the food humans evolved eating. It enabled us to do away with the huge jaw muscles and bone mass the jaw muscles connected to, which therefore made space for our big brains.
That is excellent to know. I have convinced SWMBO that we'll give this just a wee go. Next one up (after this evening) will be a liver, beef sausage, onion and four bean casserole. 8-)
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Doesn't the liver go hard and rubbery in a casserole Joe? How do you avoid this in yours ?

I, unlike the rest of the family, love liver and onions (pigs or lambs) and any recipe where I can cut it fine enough and that cooks it soft is an opportunity to sneak it past the family to my advantage.

Moxi
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Moxi wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:45 am Doesn't the liver go hard and rubbery in a casserole Joe? How do you avoid this in yours ?

I, unlike the rest of the family, love liver and onions (pigs or lambs) and any recipe where I can cut it fine enough and that cooks it soft is an opportunity to sneak it past the family to my advantage.

Moxi
Rubbery it is then! :D
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Moxi wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:45 am Doesn't the liver go hard and rubbery in a casserole Joe? How do you avoid this in yours ?
Moxi
What I would have thought too.
We used to be obsessive about cooking meat thoroughly and probably ruined a lot of it! (although we never bought expensive, hence good, meat.)
Nowadays we are a lot more relaxed and love lambs liver still pink in the middle, also steak - although SWMBO likes hers more thoroughly cooked.
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Pan fry for the win, egg dip, flour coated, brown.

Casserole can get rubbery, & shrink, I'd say it's about optimising piece size to counter elements there.

Sous vide fails here, it's pointless, short time & still demands a pan finish! :roll:

Or stick it in last hour of the cook & try, which goes against the grain for cassoulet (ooh fancy) ..however the french use a lot of blood & liver as cooking ingredient / product so i'd look to them for a surefire rustic tender pot solution TBH.

Thinking about it though...caul fat (faggots) :lol:

So, if for instance you (as an alternative you understand) wrap in yummy bacon you will keep liver softer, unless crucified, but this = "on sticks / skewers" essentially so you'd need to bodgineer.

Maybe, if you can handle offal & lams liver then you are prepped to cut "some" fat off butchered lambs hearts & play around with that a a stew ingredient alternative, I'm a big fan of a few lambs hearts myself as are wife & daughter ..simple tasty.

Having stewed many many kg of liver for the dogs (10kg as batches) speed was of the essence & the dogs are not choosey ..liver & heart is power food for them as is (when it was cheap) ..pressure cooking on stew depending on how loaded is going to produce different results esp with submersed versus top of pan, ..smaller batches lower pressure covering liquid, you find your ideal but for speed I was on a defrost, chop, cook, portion & freeze process so zero finesse.
Last edited by Mr Gus on Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more