Battery rack plans

ChrisJEvans

Re: Battery rack plans

Post by ChrisJEvans »

Thanks very much for the link.

n.b. I'd forgotten that in the 'Chrome' browser if you right click over an image and click on 'Search image with google' it will list websites using the same image a very useful feature! It works on your image offering the network-cabs.co.uk site.
15 x JA SOLAR 385W JAM60S20MR (9 facing East 6 facing South)
Solis S5-EH1P6K-L Hybrid Inverter.
4 x Pylontech US3000
richbee

Post by richbee »

ChrisJEvans wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:02 am I have some similar battery rack questions so thought it best to ask here rather than start a new topic.
My 2 Pylontech US3000C batteries are going in the corner of a loft room next to the inverter. The room has floorboards and tongued and grooved walls and is only accessible via a loft ladder.
I've been looking out for a second hand server rack but no joy so was thinking of building one using rack strips like:these? £6.16 + post!
I could mount them horizontally as is most common or let them sit on their rear vertically.
If horizontal one side would be the tongued and grooved wall and the other a sheet of 1"ply Do I need to line the sides with a sheet of metal or fire retardant fibre board. The inverter is on Fibre board
If I sit them on the floor vertically should I put fibre board under them?
I'm also looking for a 2nd hand server rack, but they seem in short supply, at least up in the frozen north.
I'm also having the issue that most of them seem to be shallower than the batteries - even some of them list 450mm deep rack, but the Sunsynk batteries are 530mm deep.
So I quite like the idea of making a rudimentary rack from the strips - the Sunsynk batteries come with the front rack mounting brackets - not sure about the rear, or if it would be enough for the rear to sit on a cross-brace?
Mine will be in the loft - which is wooden boarded out and also fully wood boarded under the slates (sarked?) - so maybe some wood in the rack contstruction isn't going to make a lot of difference!
I'm only planning to add 1 more battery to my existing 1 (although probably should plan for space to add more in the future, otherwise I will kick myself)
Solar PV since July '22:
5.6kWp east/west facing
3.6kW Sunsynk hybrid inverter
2x 5.12kWh Sunsynk batteries
1.6kWp Hoymiles East/West facing PV on the man cave
Ripple DW 2kW
Ripple WB 200W
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

richbee wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:00 pm
ChrisJEvans wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:02 am I have some similar battery rack questions so thought it best to ask here rather than start a new topic.
My 2 Pylontech US3000C batteries are going in the corner of a loft room next to the inverter. The room has floorboards and tongued and grooved walls and is only accessible via a loft ladder.
I've been looking out for a second hand server rack but no joy so was thinking of building one using rack strips like:these? £6.16 + post!
I could mount them horizontally as is most common or let them sit on their rear vertically.
If horizontal one side would be the tongued and grooved wall and the other a sheet of 1"ply Do I need to line the sides with a sheet of metal or fire retardant fibre board. The inverter is on Fibre board
If I sit them on the floor vertically should I put fibre board under them?
I'm also looking for a 2nd hand server rack, but they seem in short supply, at least up in the frozen north.
I'm also having the issue that most of them seem to be shallower than the batteries - even some of them list 450mm deep rack, but the Sunsynk batteries are 530mm deep.
So I quite like the idea of making a rudimentary rack from the strips - the Sunsynk batteries come with the front rack mounting brackets - not sure about the rear, or if it would be enough for the rear to sit on a cross-brace?
Mine will be in the loft - which is wooden boarded out and also fully wood boarded under the slates (sarked?) - so maybe some wood in the rack contstruction isn't going to make a lot of difference!
I'm only planning to add 1 more battery to my existing 1 (although probably should plan for space to add more in the future, otherwise I will kick myself)
Building a rack without room for another battery (or two!) is asking for trouble!
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Andy

Post by Andy »

I built mine out of wood 4 2x4 and some ply sheeting on the top. I also put wheels on the bottom. I do have to be quite careful moving it around as it is quite top heavy but it's been a godsend being able to relocate it. The main problem I have experienced is the temperature gradient between the top battery and the bottom one is currently about 10-15ºC. The plan is to put in a small fan to move the warm air from the top of the room to the bottom of the batteries to try and even out the gradient.