Octopus saving sessions coming 1st Nov

nowty

Re: Octopus saving sessions coming 1st Nov

Post by nowty »

Joeboy wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:47 pm
nowty wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:43 pm I got the IO on cheap rate for half the session again, although they stopped my EV charge prematurely because I was ramping up the charge rate in excess of what they were expecting. But as long as you don't unplug the car......... ;)

Luckily SWMBO came back from work not long after so plugged her EV into the second charger on full power which filled up to 100% in the final minutes of the adjustment window. 8-)

I'm expecting a 50k+ Octopointer for this last session. :twisted:
Is that how it works? EV is plugged in, power across the board. Disconnect EV and its back to normal regardless of still potentially being in the window?
On a Tesla (don't know if it works on other brands), if you set a low charge rate in the EV app like 5A or 10A and a 4am departure time at 100% SOC, the IO thinks its going to take a LONG time to charge so it gives you extra slots early in the day before the cheap rate slot starts. Hence every time I am getting cheap rate at midday or 2pm even with the car at 60%. Once you have a charge plan agreed in the IO app, If the charging stops because your scamming it by increasing the charge rate or you set a lower SOC cutoff in the EV app, or it decides to stop for whatever reason, as long as you don't cancel the plan or unplug the car you still get the charge plan at cheap rate for the whole house. Some folk on the facebook forum even say you can close the app but leave the car plugged in (I have not tried that).

The only drawback is I cannot unplug the car and use it until tomorrow. Also I change the SOC cutoff to a lower rate in the EV app so it does not charge more than 6 hours total as that may mean they could charge me peak rate on the hours outside of the normal cheap slot if the actual charging exceeds 6hrs. So if its an actual charge of less than 6 hours on a plan of 10hrs I still get the full 10 hrs at cheap rate for the whole house which could include the second EV on a separate charger.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:24 pm
nowty wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:43 pm I got the IO on cheap rate for half the session again, although they stopped my EV charge prematurely because I was ramping up the charge rate in excess of what they were expecting. But as long as you don't unplug the car......... ;)

Luckily SWMBO came back from work not long after so plugged her EV into the second charger on full power which filled up to 100% in the final minutes of the adjustment window. 8-)

Is that how it works? EV is plugged in, power across the board. Disconnect EV and its back to normal regardless of still potentially being in the window?
On a Tesla (don't know if it works on other brands), if you set a low charge rate in the EV app like 5A or 10A and a 4am departure time at 100% SOC, the IO thinks its going to take a LONG time to charge so it gives you extra slots early in the day before the cheap rate slot starts. Hence every time I am getting cheap rate at midday or 2pm even with the car at 60%. Once you have a charge plan agreed in the IO app, If the charging stops because your scamming it by increasing the charge rate or you set a lower SOC cutoff in the EV app, or it decides to stop for whatever reason, as long as you don't cancel the plan or unplug the car you still get the charge plan at cheap rate for the whole house. Some folk on the facebook forum even say you can close the app but leave the car plugged in (I have not tried that).

The only drawback is I cannot unplug the car and use it until tomorrow. Also I change the SOC cutoff to a lower rate in the EV app so it does not charge more than 6 hours total as that may mean they could charge me peak rate on the hours outside of the normal cheap slot if the actual charging exceeds 6hrs. So if its an actual charge of less than 6 hours on a plan of 10hrs I still get the full 10 hrs at cheap rate for the whole house which could include the second EV on a separate charger.
Total learning curve, who knew!
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
nowty

Post by nowty »

Example of IO manipulation from a saving session last month with nearly all of the in day adjustment window at cheap rate even though it was in the afternoon.

Only problem is you don't know if it worked until you get your bill. :?
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:45 pm Example of IO manipulation from a saving session last month with nearly all of the in day adjustment window at cheap rate even though it was in the afternoon.

Only problem is you don't know if it worked until you get your bill. :?
Thank you Notwy, so there's a frisson of will it/won't it too? Sign me up! Oh, wait a minute... :lol:

I shall play aboot accordingly 😌 thank you.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
nowty

Post by nowty »

You need to document what you did and then wait a few weeks to see if it worked. The great thing about a saving session day is you don't need to document it because you know exactly what you did. :D
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Yuff

Post by Yuff »

This is pretty much what I do and I switch the app off before I go to sleep and back on again at 5.30am.
I actually use less electric as I am not trying to heat the house during the coldest part of the night, plus I don’t get close to blowing my fuse now due to overloading the house
Mitsubishi Ecodan
ASHP 8.5kW x 2
12 x 460w Solar panels
9.5kWh GivEnergy
Batteries x 2
EVs x 4 210 kWh Batteries
Ripple 5.8 kW PV 0.547 kW Whitelaw Brae
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Payment is in for the session on the 15th ,39,936 octopoints. :D
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Yuff

Post by Yuff »

Joeboy wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:41 am Payment is in for the session on the 15th ,39,936 octopoints. :D
38448 here.

IO normally rounds up the 1/2 hour slot
So if you get a schedule at 7:59 the off peak starts at 7:30, and the same if you unplug at 7:01 and you had a schedule until 7:30, the off peak will finish at 7:30
Mitsubishi Ecodan
ASHP 8.5kW x 2
12 x 460w Solar panels
9.5kWh GivEnergy
Batteries x 2
Yuff

Post by Yuff »

I sometimes go out several times, after I have got schedule, and it sets another schedule and all have been off peak.
Mitsubishi Ecodan
ASHP 8.5kW x 2
12 x 460w Solar panels
9.5kWh GivEnergy
Batteries x 2
nowty

Post by nowty »

39424 for the 15th for me and remember we are highly likely to get the super saver bonus of 1000 points for that session too. ;)
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3