Part ownership of a Ripple Wind Turbine, fancy it?

Wind turbines
Mr Gus

Re: Part ownership of a Wind Turbine, fancy it?

Post by Mr Gus »

However, by contrast cheaper as a consortium compared to slog of singular turbine, being part of a co-operative at another level.
Bulk goods
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Inskip75

Post by Inskip75 »

AE-NMidlands wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:08 pm
Inskip75 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:56 pm On the video with Sarah on Fully Charged - she says WF2 is 'multiple turbines'!!
If it wasn't multiple then it (the "T") wouldn't be an "F" would it?
A
Good point - but I just realised the F was a typo on my part :lol:
5.6kW PV
0.8kW WT1 and 1.2kW WT2
9.6kWh batteries
3.5kW+2.5kW ASHP
Zappi
Seat Mii Electric
Adokforme

Post by Adokforme »

Don't know if anyone tuned into last night's AGM but along with the increase in savings, now looking to be 8p/kWh when Graig Fatha comes online, we were also made aware that 2000 people have now provided deposits to show their interest in Ripples second wind farm!
Interestingly one of the polls taken was on whether members were more in favour of investing in 100% community owned projects or whether a mix of community and other financial backing would be considered if a quicker return on investments was desirable.
Don't know if we should read anything into it.
Tinbum

Post by Tinbum »

I put a deposit down but wonder if it's the best move as my consumption from the grid will be very low.
85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, 8kWh Growatt storage, 22 x US3000C Pylontech, Sofar ME3000's, Brosley wood burner and 250lt DHW
Inskip75

Post by Inskip75 »

Adokforme wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:18 pm Interestingly one of the polls taken was on whether members were more in favour of investing in 100% community owned projects or whether a mix of community and other financial backing would be considered if a quicker return on investments was desirable.
I wondered about this as well - the result was more or less 50/50 but thought there should have been a not bothered option as well!
5.6kW PV
0.8kW WT1 and 1.2kW WT2
9.6kWh batteries
3.5kW+2.5kW ASHP
Zappi
Seat Mii Electric
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Adokforme wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:18 pm Don't know if anyone tuned into last night's AGM but along with the increase in savings, now looking to be 8p/kWh when Graig Fatha comes online, we were also made aware that 2000 people have now provided deposits to show their interest in Ripples second wind farm!
Interestingly one of the polls taken was on whether members were more in favour of investing in 100% community owned projects or whether a mix of community and other financial backing would be considered if a quicker return on investments was desirable.
Just a standard "leverage" discussion!

If an investment returns 8% then for a £1000 stake you get £80 per year (Duh)

But if the project can borrow at 4% then:
  • At 2x leveraged the project would borrow £1000 to match your investment, so you'd get a £160 return less £40 interest, giving you £120 for the same £1000 down.
  • At 5x leveraged the project would borrow £4000 to match your investment, so you'd get a £400 return less £160 interest, giving you £240 for the same £1000 down.
The downside of leverage is risk. The interest is payable no-matter the actual return, so if the project is delayed, suffers unreliability, or underperforms then your return quickly evaporates and the project can become loss-making.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
nowty

Post by nowty »

Tinbum wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:25 pm I put a deposit down but wonder if it's the best move as my consumption from the grid will be very low.
Excellent, another one for my "secret" WT2 list, well its not so secret if you fess up publicly, but there are one or two who are secret. :lol:

But I have been aching to say for a while, if there is anyone who would benefit from Ripple, its probably you, as you must struggle in winter whereas the bulk of generation from a wind turbine comes in winter.

FYI, it seems that as long as you don't buy more than enough capacity to generate more than 6999 kWh per year, which was about £4,500 in WT1, no one seems to care, no evidence will be asked for even if you end up with a negative bill. It was an Financial Conduct Services (FCA) stipulation, I had a chat with Ripple on a feedback telephone call early on. ;)
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
nowty

Post by nowty »

Project update from the AGM yesterday, looks like almost certain to delay the operational date till the new year. No info on the actual turbine arrival date and entry port info. No doubt HGV drivers are going to be short over the build up to Xmas.

• Supply of grid connection cable. General supply chain issues and Brexit have
increased the lead time significantly for cables and this could push the connection
date into the new year. Ripple and the project team are exploring means of
mitigating the impact of such issues and will update the membership when there is
clarity.

• Christmas. A break in work at Christmas may have an exacerbated impact on
programme as some works cannot be put on hold for the break, so their start would
have to be delayed. Ripple and the project team are examining programmes closely
to avoid such impacts if possible.

• Delivery drivers. The turbine foundation concrete pour needs to be done in one
continuous session in one day to avoid a ‘cold joint’. Widely reported GHV driver
shortages could make this difficult, however the pour won’t be started unless
sufficient drivers and vehicles are guaranteed.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Ah well, can't think of many large projects that come in on time and there are defo extenuating circumstances on this one. I look forward to seeing the pour photos. :D
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Tinbum

Post by Tinbum »

nowty wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:22 pm FYI, it seems that as long as you don't buy more than enough capacity to generate more than 6999 kWh per year, which was about £4,500 in WT1, no one seems to care, no evidence will be asked for even if you end up with a negative bill. It was an Financial Conduct Services (FCA) stipulation, I had a chat with Ripple on a feedback telephone call early on. ;)
That's good as In 7 years I've used 11,400Kwh from the grid. Interestingly I got an e mail the other day saying they were putting up my direct debit as the units used per year I had submitted for my new fixed term supply were wrong.This meter will have no import as I'll be using my other Octopus meter to charge the batteries.

When you switched, your quote was based on your estimate of how much energy you use each year.
Every UK home has an official estimate, based on historical meter readings. We've now received this from your previous supplier, and it looks like you're using more energy than your initial estimate.

Initial estimate
Electricity: 100 kWh per year costing £84.99

Official estimate
Electricity: 2,900 kWh per year costing £619.01

That means you're using an average of £53.40 a month more than your initial estimate.

I also have another meter (at another property) that has nothing connected and got exactly the same e mail for that!!
85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, 8kWh Growatt storage, 22 x US3000C Pylontech, Sofar ME3000's, Brosley wood burner and 250lt DHW