Re: Octopus saving sessions coming 1st Nov

Post by 94JDH »

nowty wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:46 pm
94JDH wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:26 pm
nowty wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:04 pm

You must have a reasonable setup.

Care sharing it, hardware and tariff. ?
Hi Nowty,

Just finished adding more panels, so currently stands at 15kW PV, coupled with 2 x Gen3 5kW inverters each having a 9.5kWh battery.
Not all panels are optimum angles, so I thought a bigger array will always help (works out around 70m2).
I've not seen the potential in better months, but the original set up of 18 panels ( roughly half of current set-up) East/West on multiple flat roof areas managed around 50kWh at its peak daily generation.
I'm hoping for something around 80kWh if I'm lucky!
Only single phase though....

Edit: swapped from Flux towards the end of of October to intelligent Go, and should hopefully swap back to Flux mid March if rates are still good.
My 12kW of panels make 70 kWh in summer so I reckon you might make that mythical 80 kWh day sometime in May. :xx:
I have panels all over the place with shocking shading in winter but I find the more the better.

With regards tariff, are you not better now staying with IOG and getting the 15p / kWh fixed export now that has been increased. I have signed up for Agile export for the winter (still waiting), but will likely swap to Fixed export at 15p in the spring.
Yes, seen your photos - very impressive thinking out of the box with your patio set!
Regarding tariff that is the quandary - I did manage around £250 export in June on the Flux tariff, it has dropped a bit since so I think that's what I need to keep an eye on in the future.
ALAN/ALAN D

Post by ALAN/ALAN D »

Hello Gents.

I am with Good Energy. They are starting Power Pause sessions.

You earn credit for saving electricity.

Ref. “ We’ll contact you 24-48 hours later to let you know how much electricity you saved compared to your typical usage.

My electricity bill for October was 62 pence plus the standing charge. Plus V.A,T
The bill total was £13.25

If my typical usage for the month is 62 pence. Is it worth doing the pause sessions. ? :oO:
Yuff

Post by Yuff »

nowty wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:04 pm

You must have a reasonable setup.

Care sharing it, hardware and tariff. ?
Hi Nowty,

Just finished adding more panels, so currently stands at 15kW PV, coupled with 2 x Gen3 5kW inverters each having a 9.5kWh battery.
Not all panels are optimum angles, so I thought a bigger array will always help (works out around 70m2).
I've not seen the potential in better months, but the original set up of 18 panels ( roughly half of current set-up) East/West on multiple flat roof areas managed around 50kWh at its peak daily generation.

Edit: swapped from Flux towards the end of of October to intelligent Go, and should hopefully swap back to Flux mid March if rates are still good.
My 12kW of panels make 70 kWh in summer so I reckon you might make that mythical 80 kWh day sometime in May. :xx:
I have panels all over the place with shocking shading in winter but I find the more the better.

With regards tariff, are you not better now staying with IOG and getting the 15p / kWh fixed export now that has been increased. On IOG myself and I have signed up for Agile export for the winter (still waiting), but will likely swap to Fixed export at 15p in the spring.
Hi Nowty

Agile export looks quite good, I’ve signed up for the fixed 15p. I think I would struggle to get the best agile prices as it’s a bit tricky to export when they would have the best prices. Also I’m not sure having signed up for the fixed export I can swap now.
Not sure if my export is completely up and running as octopus backdated my export to 14th October but I can’t see any figures from the 14th October and can’t see that export bar chart anywhere on my account yet :(
Mitsubishi Ecodan
ASHP 8.5kW x 2
12 x 460w Solar panels
9.5kWh GivEnergy
Batteries x 2
EVs x 4 210 kWh Batteries
Ripple 5.8 kW PV 0.547 kW Whitelaw Brae
94JDH

Post by 94JDH »

Yuff wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:16 am

Hi Nowty,

With regards tariff, are you not better now staying with IOG and getting the 15p / kWh fixed export now that has been increased. On IOG myself and I have signed up for Agile export for the winter (still waiting), but will likely swap to Fixed export at 15p in the spring.
Hi Nowty

Agile export looks quite good, I’ve signed up for the fixed 15p. I think I would struggle to get the best agile prices as it’s a bit tricky to export when they would have the best prices. Also I’m not sure having signed up for the fixed export I can swap now.
Not sure if my export is completely up and running as octopus backdated my export to 14th October but I can’t see any figures from the 14th October and can’t see that export bar chart anywhere on my account yet :(
Have you clicked from day to week or month on the usage page on the Octopus app?
I had this when originally signed up as the data didn't show.
Yuff

Post by Yuff »

Have you clicked from day to week or month on the usage page on the Octopus app?
[/quote]

Is that the page where you can get live use as well, if it is I frequently change from live, to day use and weekly use.
I note you have two gen 3 inverter and two 9.5kwh batteries, are they GivEnergy?
I have a 5kw hybrid inverter and two 9.5 kWh batteries and wanted to increase my discharge rate as well as storage but was told my only option was to replace the gen 2 inverter with a gen 3 inverter,but your system sounds ideal. I was told I couldn’t add any more batteries as that would mess up my system, this was what GivEnergy told my installer.
Howere i saw this wallbox charger might be on sale within the next 12 months which would change things, i suspect

https://blog.wallbox.com/quasar-2-reima ... h-wallbox/
Mitsubishi Ecodan
ASHP 8.5kW x 2
12 x 460w Solar panels
9.5kWh GivEnergy
Batteries x 2
94JDH

Post by 94JDH »

Yuff wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:33 am Have you clicked from day to week or month on the usage page on the Octopus app?
Is that the page where you can get live use as well, if it is I frequently change from live, to day use and weekly use.
I note you have two gen 3 inverter and two 9.5kwh batteries, are they GivEnergy?
I have a 5kw hybrid inverter and two 9.5 kWh batteries and wanted to increase my discharge rate as well as storage but was told my only option was to replace the gen 2 inverter with a gen 3 inverter,but your system sounds ideal. I was told I couldn’t add any more batteries as that would mess up my system, this was what GivEnergy told my installer.
Howere i saw this wallbox charger might be on sale within the next 12 months which would change things, i suspect

[/quote]

Yes, that's the page on the app.

All Givenergy inverters and batteries - what version of Gen2 inverter did you have before, 3.6 or 5?

The reason I ask is the only benefit of swapping from one to the other (if 3.6 to 5) is the charge and discharge rate whilst PV is generating.

If it's solely for charging and discharging when the sun is down (demand on house and cheap rate charging) then the upgrade from Gen2 to Gen3 doesn't improve anything at all.

Twin hybrid inverters aren't recommended but are supported as they tend to cross charge from one to the other. It can be controlled by HA or officially by their own EMS unit when it's eventually released.

If I remember correctly, you can have 5 batteries per inverter.

I've a Wallbox and Givenergy charger, but not seen that one yet - it will likely need a car that's compatible with two way power.
Yuff

Post by Yuff »

94JDH wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:34 am
Yuff wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:33 am Have you clicked from day to week or month on the usage page on the Octopus app?

All Givenergy inverters and batteries - what version of Gen2 inverter did you have before, 3.6 or 5?

The reason I ask is the only benefit of swapping from one to the other (if 3.6 to 5) is the charge and discharge rate whilst PV is generating.

If it's solely for charging and discharging when the sun is down (demand on house and cheap rate charging) then the upgrade from Gen2 to Gen3 doesn't improve anything at all.

Twin hybrid inverters aren't recommended but are supported as they tend to cross charge from one to the other. It can be controlled by HA or officially by their own EMS unit when it's eventually released.

I've a Wallbox and Givenergy charger, but not seen that one yet - it will likely need a car that's compatible with two way power.
[/quote]

It’s a gen 2 5kw hybrid, but can only discharge at 2.6 and charge at 2.4. Now I’m on fixed export id like to charge and discharge more, if possible.
I have a small amount of pv but can’t fit anymore, on any roof, because of trees.
I’m using around 100 kWh a day currently but all off peak incl 10kwh exported, and 2 EVs charging. We don’t use any gas. I would like some more storage but the bi-directional charger probably would negate that need if/when it comes out.
Mitsubishi Ecodan
ASHP 8.5kW x 2
12 x 460w Solar panels
9.5kWh GivEnergy
Batteries x 2
94JDH

Post by 94JDH »

Yuff wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:14 pm
94JDH wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:34 am

It’s a gen 2 5kw hybrid, but can only discharge at 2.6 and charge at 2.4. Now I’m on fixed export id like to charge and discharge more, if possible.
I have a small amount of pv but can’t fit anymore, on any roof, because of trees.
I’m using around 100 kWh a day currently but all off peak incl 10kwh exported, and 2 EVs charging. We don’t use any gas. I would like some more storage but the bi-directional charger probably would negate that need if/when it comes out.
[/quote]

Check the side of your inverter if it says charge/discharge at approximately 2500W then you have a Gen1 inverter not a Gen2.

Gen2 inverters have a charge/discharge of 3300W/3600W - if you were quoted a Gen2 by your installer then get them back and swap it for a Gen2, there have been a number of cases where Gen1's have been passed off as Gen2's.

Gen1 inverters start the serial number with SD
Gen2 inverters start the serial number with ED
Yuff

Post by Yuff »

Check the side of your inverter if it says charge/discharge at approximately 2500W then you have a Gen1 inverter not a Gen2.

Gen2 inverters have a charge/discharge of 3300W/3600W - if you were quoted a Gen2 by your installer then get them back and swap it for a Gen2, there have been a number of cases where Gen1's have been passed off as Gen2's.

[/quote]

Thanks 94JDH
I will take a look now.

Edit : it’s a Gen 1 :twisted:
Mitsubishi Ecodan
ASHP 8.5kW x 2
12 x 460w Solar panels
9.5kWh GivEnergy
Batteries x 2
94JDH

Post by 94JDH »

Yuff wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:53 pm Check the side of your inverter if it says charge/discharge at approximately 2500W then you have a Gen1 inverter not a Gen2.

Thanks 94JDH
I will take a look now.

Edit : it’s a Gen 1 :twisted:
[/quote]

Does your original quote specify a Gen2 that was to be installed?