Small things matter

Wood stoves, pellets and other bio-fuels
Joeboy

Re: Small things matter

Post by Joeboy »

Christmas has come early in the form of an Einhell oscillating saw for my 18V cordless tool system. Daughterly had a slight waterleak (from flat above). Plumber zipped through ceiling plasterboard neatly and in no time at all using one of these. He said 'best tool ever'.

OK, I need one in my life I thought. It Just arrived, check it out!

Got a tight doorframe at cabin so I'll try it out tomorrow. Liking this utub video.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Oscillating multi tool passed the first test with flying colours. Heavily ring marked and waterstained piece of solid teak furniture brought back with no fuss. Apologies for no before photos, it was full edge and 3 marked sections on inset.

42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

I bought a corded multi-tool from Wickes a few years ago and immediately wished that I had invested in it years earlier. Maybe 10 years ago I got a rechargable one from Aldi which died soon after (I should have taken it back) and it put me off getting another one.
Plunge sawing, cutting through nails embedded deep in timber that I want to re-use or is fixed into the structure of the house, there's lots of things I couldn't have done without it.
You can only use a sharp cold chisel on steel in wood if it doesn't give way under the blows!
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

I used a corded Makita one for years. Got annoyed having to get the extension lead out every time so bought an 18V one that matches my Makita batteries a while back. Amazing what uses it gets put to. The only hint I’ll give is to go easy with the pressure and let the tools do the work.

The blades don’t last long though…
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Stinsy wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:21 pm I used a corded Makita one for years. Got annoyed having to get the extension lead out every time so bought an 18V one that matches my Makita batteries a while back. Amazing what uses it gets put to. The only hint I’ll give is to go easy with the pressure and let the tools do the work.

The blades don’t last long though…
Thank you to both yourself & AE. I can see a lot of load being shifted to the multi tool.now.

I'll keep a look out for black Christmas type offers on blades. Doorframe tomorrow, straight line plasterboard cutting at daughterlys on Monday. Very tactile and feedback based feel to it tonight on the teak unit. Liking it. 👍
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Gecko glazing just popped up in my FB newsfeed. :praise:

Very well done indeed!

https://geckoglazing.co.uk/?fbclid=IwAR ... 1616710413
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

I can thoroughly recommend an oscillating multi tool as a tool to have in collection. Neatened up the plasterboard messy void quickly and accurately with no strain on myself or the tool. Also excellent for sanding overhead (my plastering is not that good) and getting into awkward corners. Made a job I wasn't looking forward to easy. :)

42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

I know others have already praised these - from my perspective, it’s one of those tools you don’t use often, but when you do, there’s nothing else that touches it.

I’ve had a corded one for yonks - would love a cordless, but can’t justify binning perfectly usable tool.

I am jealous though ;)

I had to replace a cordless drill earlier this year and was staggered how much they’d moved on. Sure these saws have too.

By the way, good job Joe :)
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Impact driver is similar. You don't know how you existed without one!

I bought a cordless SDS drill this year. Sure my corded one does a great job, but the cordless one saves me getting the extension reel out every time. Jigsaw might just be next...

I'm in the Makita ecosystyem, I have 4x batteries, so buying anything else would be silly.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

I can see this being very much 'Oh, I'll.just reach for the multi', possibly edging into 'Oh, I'll make jobs up so I can ...' :lol:

My all time fave in cordless power tools though is the twin 18V battery pack 36v chainsaw. Even.after hundreds of hours use I am amazed at how effortless it makes logging. If I run it with a new chain it's like a lightsaber. :twisted:

My Hyundai petrol saw now goes year to year with no runtime.

I agree on how the tools leap every few years. Might look out for an Einhell impact gun for my birthday in Jan.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs