Operation "Use Less Gas"

Air source, ground source and associated systems for heating homes
Joeboy

Re: Operation "Use Less Gas"

Post by Joeboy »

Minus 8 turned out to be wishful app thinking. New SH certification figure!

Might get a couple of kWh's, looks like a clear day.

16.6kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Andy

Post by Andy »

Joeboy wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:37 am Minus 8 turned out to be wishful app thinking. New SH certification figure!
Not wanting to piss on your parade at discovering -14ºC I've never found those IR thermometers to be terribly accurate outside I'm going to go ahead and do it. I've got a reading of -7ºC from a more normal thermometer down the road and Aberdeen -8ºC at the airport so your first posting is probably the more accurate. I've never been somewhere so cold that your piss freezes before hitting the ground but it would be fun to see it.

The thermometer I have doing the house compensation is on the wall (60cm granite) and I guess as one would expect lags over the days so it's only showing -6.5ºC right now. But given that it is a thermal store of sorts and inputting in to the house it does provide a more useful figure for the heating calculation purposes.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Andy wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:00 am
Joeboy wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:37 am Minus 8 turned out to be wishful app thinking. New SH certification figure!
Not wanting to piss on your parade at discovering -14ºC I've never found those IR thermometers to be terribly accurate outside I'm going to go ahead and do it. I've got a reading of -7ºC from a more normal thermometer down the road and Aberdeen -8ºC at the airport so your first posting is probably the more accurate. I've never been somewhere so cold that your piss freezes before hitting the ground but it would be fun to see it.

The thermometer I have doing the house compensation is on the wall (60cm granite) and I guess as one would expect lags over the days so it's only showing -6.5ºC right now. But given that it is a thermal store of sorts and inputting in to the house it does provide a more useful figure for the heating calculation purposes.
No worries, that's as close to outside as I'm going today.

The coldest I experienced was -32 in Kazakhstan. Spanners sticking to the hand stuff. Working outdoors was 'interesting '. No way I'd have pissed outside there. Drink camels milk yeah, piss, no!
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

-25 in Bucharest was my coldest experience, I was helping IMGB update their steel plant at the time, they were having tough times and hadn’t paid their gas bills and district heating rates so there was no heating in the admin buildings or workshops and only the operational soakers were heated all the rest had to go cold and be re bricked IF better times returned. Happy to say they did as the team working there were good honest hardworking folk.

Their electric power was still available as it was still fed from a state funded spur and free at their point of access, this was only about a decade after MR and Mrs Ceaușescu met their ending up against the wall so things were an odd mix of state and private provision.

Their immediate solution to the heating issue at work was to take all the resistor banks off the redundant overhead cranes and take the covers off two sides, stand them on silicon fire bricks and jerry rig 415V ring mains on each floor to plug them in !

It was so cold that even these banks of resistors only warmed the building up to around minus five. My fingers wouldn’t work properly after a few hours so I typed on my laptop using two pencils clamped in my hand, and every few hours I would walk 300 meters over to the forge bay and stand near the operating soaking furnace to warm through, there was always a group of people near the soaker having a chat and warming up.

Those resistor banks though always stay in my memory as it was like standing over a giant toaster that you could literally fall into - no idea how there wasn’t a fatality but it did stop people freezing.

Moxi
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

That might be a (roughly) correct surface temperature, but the other official ones would be air temperatures. In the conditions we have at the moment heat radiates away into space faster than any conducts back up from the ground or within the structure - or even by conduction from a passing air current.
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

AE-NMidlands wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:16 am

That might be a (roughly) correct surface temperature, but the other official ones would be air temperatures. In the conditions we have at the moment heat radiates away into space faster than any conducts back up from the ground or within the structure - or even by conduction from a passing air current.
Sounds good to me. I won't be carrying out the sticking knob test anytime soon. :hysteria: I'll stick (hah) to minus 8 then for the SH pass.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Only about -4℃ outside round these parts, but toasty inside with no gas!

12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Stinsy wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 3:35 pm Only about -4℃ outside round these parts, but toasty inside with no gas!

Is that your A2A?
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Joeboy wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 3:53 pm
Stinsy wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 3:35 pm Only about -4℃ outside round these parts, but toasty inside with no gas!

Is that your A2A?
Yep!
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Ken

Post by Ken »

At 60C ! ? Why so hot?