Octopus saving sessions coming 1st Nov

Joeboy

Re: Octopus saving sessions coming 1st Nov

Post by Joeboy »

Moxi wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:35 am Really cold and no wind here today, gas is at 25GW coal at 1.34GW - dirtiest power have seen in ages, does that increase your chances of an in day saver session today ?

Its white over with a very thick frost here so the primary heating is going to be lit (WBS) when we get back from dropping the kids at school.

Fingers crossed and good luck for you exporters, I'm just hoping to fill my stack from Sol again today :D

Moxi
The frost lifted here overnight so its soggy but warmer. Not been seeing much sun up here but have been seeing a reliable 400W to 600W off the PV through the grey layer. It only adds up to a couple of kWh per day at the moment but its good to see, optimism remains high! :D
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

When we are forecast for the blizzards then :o

I've already moved some more logs indoors and filled the woodshed outside the front door up. Candles are ready as is the battery lamps etc.

We can manage without electric and water but heat via the WBS is essential, we get light warmth hot food and water (snow melted in a huge pan in front of the stove) and last time we had blizzards and lost the power we managed quite comfortably for 4 days before the linesmen managed to get up to us and restring the wires.

They were surprised and happy when I went out in the driving snow and wind to give them a thermos of hot coffee, we even offered them space by the WBS to warm up but they had to move on to the next job as soon as the they finished - they were a good crew of lads sent over from Ireland to assist.

Moxi
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Morning JB, at least its a little warmer for you, but soggy isn't much fun, we had weeks of that before this high pressure dropped in. The hen run has only just started to firm up under foot and that's with 5 90litre sacks of bark thrown down .

minus 1 at the minute but Sol has just popped up over the shoulder of the mountain so I am going to prop up the big panel again to get some early sun.

I believe the sheet of cloud you are under is moving south over the weekend to cover the majority of the country so I intend to make headway while I can :)

Moxi
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Sunday/Monday for us maybe. Doesn't look like much? Great to read that about the Winter WBS experience. We don't lose power much here but like to have a 1 month wall of logs in the garage just in case. More kindling today. Are they still laying?
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Yes we are getting two a day at present from six birds ranging from POL to old girls, the two newest birds are Araucana's and they lay a green egg which fascinates the kids.

I'm also battling the usual winter influx of scalies but this year they seem very skittish and wary of traps so it looks like an prolonged campaign with the rifle when the weather improves enough to wrap up and sit out there for a few hours at night.

Last night they ate all the spilled layers pellets around a trap but never ventured on to it despite there only been maybe 10 or so pellets lose. All the other food is being removed over night so they must be starting to get hungry.

I check in the day but no signs - definitely a family of smart rats compared with previous years.

Moxi
ecogeorge

Post by ecogeorge »

Try a "Treadle" feeder -hens weight opens feeder. They learn quite quickly.
George
1750w Vertical PV micro inverters
3800w almost horizontal/south
Aarrow Becton 7 Woodburner
Dream 3kw ASHP only connected to summer Pool.
Allotment heavy clay.
1.784kw Kirk Hill
0.875kw Derril Water
0.2kwWhitelaw Brae
1kw Harlow Hydro.
nowty

Post by nowty »

The grid folk are relaxed, only probability of 0.00001 for :fan: and situation is improving.
https://bmrs.elexon.co.uk/loss-of-load- ... ted-margin
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

ecogeorge wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:41 am Try a "Treadle" feeder -hens weight opens feeder. They learn quite quickly.
George
got one, you should have seen me jump the day I opened it up and saw a BIG fat rat crunching away on the pellets! Then hens use it but at night I brick the lid and wedge the tredle :D

Moxi
nowty

Post by nowty »

Obviously the National Grid are not playing ball with no saving sessions on last Thu/Fri where the grid was running almost everything balls out. :facepalm:
OK, good game, good game. :evil:

Freezing cold this week but good strong northerly wind down the North Sea for the prime offshore generating areas so not as bad as last week as shown in the latest generating surplus graphs. The 17th looks the most promising day.

BUT from next weekend its forecast to be blowing a hooley and continuing till the end of the month with high generating surpluses and probably new wind records.

So if there is going to be at least 1 or 2 saving sessions in this month my money is on this week 16th to 18th. :xx:
There is no guarantee they won't roll them over to next month but the process says endeavour to have at least 2 test saving sessions a month. The last one was 19th Dec.
https://bmrs.elexon.co.uk/surplus-forecast-and-margin

16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Andy

Post by Andy »

Since I don't get paid for export yet and I use more electricity in the expensive period than I can store in the battery I am as ready as I can be. I've been chucking the battery use outside of the typical savings slots. I'm still waiting for my meter to be transferred from SFE to Smart Pear before I can get IOG.