Small things matter

Wood stoves, pellets and other bio-fuels
Joeboy

Re: Small things matter

Post by Joeboy »

I love a batch cook, my go to red pot tops out at about 15 portions of arabiata sauce and i really am maxing it out at that. Just finished cleaning & sterilising Big Arthur who is induction hob compatible. Bought today for £3.50 at Aberdeen reuse. :twisted:

Also got a steak griddle, non stick pan in the same shop which I'll be backpacking out to Turkish hoose next month (£2.50). Fits well on the 2nd hand yet brand new single hob (£4)..

Even out there I don't like to use gas unless i have to and SWMBO has been talking about an outdoor balcony kitchen type deal. Might just be shelfs but who knows?
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

First run up of the new pan, a gallon or so of pea & ham soup planned, induction hob to get it up to speed later then back onto WBS.

Currently thawing and cooking through the ham hock.nWatwr supplied at boiling by the 800W kettle.

Somedays are just better than others in RE world. This is a good one indeed! 👍 :D

42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Joeboy wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:20 am
Fintray wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:06 am Nice looking bread there Moxi, how about posting the recipe?

My WBS has been doing extra duty these past few days as existing (oil) heating is being replaced with this-

Really looking forward to hearing how it performs? Looks great!
Heat pump up and running on Friday afternoon and by Saturday evening wife was giving it 10/10 as house so warm.
Sunday though I came home, saw it was showing a pump communication problem and not running. Unable to clear the fault so will have to wait till tomorrow for Vaillant technical help :( .
Went and took in wood for WBS :roll: .
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Fintray wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:32 pm
Fintray wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:06 am Nice looking bread there Moxi, how about posting the recipe?

My WBS has been doing extra duty these past few days as existing (oil) heating is being replaced with this-

Heat pump up and running on Friday afternoon and by Saturday evening wife was giving it 10/10 as house so warm.
Sunday though I came home, saw it was showing a pump communication problem and not running. Unable to clear the fault so will have to wait till tomorrow for Vaillant technical help :( .
Sorry to hear that but at least you've seen how it will be soon enough. SWMBO being onside? :xl:

I still view the HPs as almost magical. If we don't charge the EV we use about 10kWh to charge the HWT, 20 to fully charge the stack leaving 40kWh into the SH's to augment the WBS and get the house to around 22 degs. I'd be interested in your own comparison Fintray once it has run a while?
Last edited by Joeboy on Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Joeboy wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:48 pm
Sorry to hear that but at least you've seen how it will be soon enough. SWMBO being onside? :xl:
SWMBO also asked what I was going to do with the (yet to be completed) solar thermal and if we put extra PV in its place would that help power the heat pump? :o M'mm some extra PV...
3.87kWp PV
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
Morso 5kW WBS
Nissan Leaf
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Fintray wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:05 pm
Joeboy wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:48 pm
SWMBO also asked what I was going to do with the (yet to be completed) solar thermal and if we put extra PV in its place would that help power the heat pump? :o M'mm some extra PV...
A nice open door there...
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Fintray wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:05 pm SWMBO also asked what I was going to do with the (yet to be completed) solar thermal and if we put extra PV in its place would that help power the heat pump? :o M'mm some extra PV...
I love my old-faithful solar thermal, 80% efficient, brilliant in the shoulder months. (But I can see that if your water system wasn't set up for it then it's probably not viable these days - unless you also have surplus pv, enjoy plumbing and have bags of left-over fittings and off-cuts of pipe to play with. I would go for a separate (not-in-the-cylinder) counter-current heat exchanger, maybe pumped if thermosyphoning wouldn't work, maybe a bit like the shower water heat-recovery systems which have been discussed...)

We just need a reverse Peltier device to convert the heat to (exportable) electrons during the summer surplus! I guess that pretty soon the export limits would stop this fun though. How can you find out if a G99 application is likely to succeed?
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

AE-NMidlands wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:38 pm
Fintray wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:05 pm SWMBO also asked what I was going to do with the (yet to be completed) solar thermal and if we put extra PV in its place would that help power the heat pump? :o M'mm some extra PV...
I love my old-faithful solar thermal, 80% efficient, brilliant in the shoulder months. (But I can see that if your water system wasn't set up for it then it's probably not viable these days - unless you also have surplus pv, enjoy plumbing and have bags of left-over fittings and off-cuts of pipe to play with. I would go for a separate (not-in-the-cylinder) counter-current heat exchanger, maybe pumped if thermosyphoning wouldn't work, maybe a bit like the shower water heat-recovery systems which have been discussed...)

We just need a reverse Peltier device to convert the heat to (exportable) electrons during the summer surplus! I guess that pretty soon the export limits would stop this fun though. How can you find out if a G99 application is likely to succeed?
The solar thermal was planned to heat a thermal store of 1500L along with a gasifying wood burning boiler to heat my house but things have moved along quicker than my projects so all to be abandoned in favour of the heat pump.
3.87kWp PV
Tesla Powerwall 2
Morso 5kW WBS
Nissan Leaf
richbee

Post by richbee »

Looking good! - hopefully mine will fairly soon look very like that as well :D
Solar PV since July '22:
5.6kWp east/west facing
3.6kW Sunsynk hybrid inverter
2x 5.12kWh Sunsynk batteries
1.6kWp Hoymiles East/West facing PV on the man cave
Ripple DW 2kW
Ripple WB 200W
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

richbee wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:31 am Looking good! - hopefully mine will fairly soon look very like that as well :D
What make/model are you getting Richbee? All being well you'll be well pleased with it.

Mine is back on after the installer checked the connections to the pump, might have been a loose connection but a Vaillant engineer is coming to check it over on Wednesday.
3.87kWp PV
Tesla Powerwall 2
Morso 5kW WBS
Nissan Leaf