Small things matter

Wood stoves, pellets and other bio-fuels
Joeboy

Re: Small things matter

Post by Joeboy »

Bugtownboy wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:34 pm Totally agree Stinsy.

There’s a lot that can be ‘measured’ but there’s always the feel of a home. How do you cheaply/easily incorporate thermal mass into modern homes - utilising building waste as a central core ? If it was a hardcore sort of waste, would need to be bound with some sort of concrete ?

This is just idle musings - love to hear others thoughts on thermal mass - think Joe is doing a sterling job In one direction.
Only one direction? Must try harder!! :)
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

You know what I mean ;)

Think we all have anecdotal positives of thermal mass - how much real world, measured experience do we have ?
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Bugtownboy wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:06 pm You know what I mean ;)

Think we all have anecdotal positives of thermal mass - how much real world, measured experience do we have ?
I'll be happy with X amount of days when the GCH doesn't kick in. Will be interesting to see what X turns out to be. I am keeping an eye on the Hive temp charts too. There will be a sum for kg's of weight at a set temp and what that is in kW power. Might look it up. I reckon 300 kg's at 150 to 180 degs has to be a fair skelp? ;)
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

There’s some merit in high mass, low temp rise in terms of stored energy - I’m not clever enough to understand the relationship (life sciences person).

Keep going back to how a place feels, which, I believe, has a relationship to thermal mass.

Your experiments and observations are great, Joe.
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Bugtownboy wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:34 pm Totally agree Stinsy.

There’s a lot that can be ‘measured’ but there’s always the feel of a home. How do you cheaply/easily incorporate thermal mass into modern homes - utilising building waste as a central core ? If it was a hardcore sort of waste, would need to be bound with some sort of concrete ?

This is just idle musings - love to hear others thoughts on thermal mass - think Joe is doing a sterling job In one direction.
My suggestion would be a “spine” wall running through the middle of the house built with high-density bricks. Maybe with heating pipes running through its cavity. Another option is UFH run underneath a deep concrete slab (with even deeper insulation).
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Joeboy wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:14 pm There will be a sum for kg's of weight at a set temp and what that is in kW power. Might look it up.
I think what you’re looking for is “specific heat capacity”. This is the measure of how much energy is taken to raise the temperature of a material. The bricks take in the energy when you heat them up and give it back when they cool down.

If I were you I’d measure the surface temperature of the bricks in the morning. If they’re warmer than the room they are still giving off heat. Whereas the stove on its own would be stone cold in the morning.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Stinsy wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:17 pm
Joeboy wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:14 pm There will be a sum for kg's of weight at a set temp and what that is in kW power. Might look it up.
I think what you’re looking for is “specific heat capacity”. This is the measure of how much energy is taken to raise the temperature of a material. The bricks take in the energy when you heat them up and give it back when they cool down.

If I were you I’d measure the surface temperature of the bricks in the morning. If they’re warmer than the room they are still giving off heat. Whereas the stove on its own would be stone cold in the morning.
If they're the old dark red storage heater blocks then they'll be magnetite (you can check with a strong magnet - it'll stick weakly): SHC 935 J/kg/°C (Iirc - I looked it up a few years back when I was doing some experiments) - I've got some blocks in the chest freezer at the mo' and have accumulated several old storage heaters over the years and may install the blocks in a DIY thermal store at some point if I have the time...

Anyway: 300kg * .935 * 150° = 42000 kj = 11.667 kwh

Assuming you can get all 300kg to an average temp of 150° above ambient.
450W hydro-electric
5110W pv
1.3kw Wt2 - not yet producing
6kWh lead acid - maybe 1kwh useable
LiMnCo battery made from 2nd hand hybrid car modules 3.6kwh nominal 24v.
300lt hot water tank and two storage heaters
ASHP Grant Aerona 3 10.5kw and UFH
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Marcus wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:08 pm
Stinsy wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:17 pm

If they're the old dark red storage heater blocks then they'll be magnetite (you can check with a strong magnet - it'll stick weakly): SHC 935 J/kg/°C (Iirc - I looked it up a few years back when I was doing some experiments) - I've got some blocks in the chest freezer at the mo' and have accumulated several old storage heaters over the years and may install the blocks in a DIY thermal store at some point if I have the time...

Anyway: 300kg * .935 * 150° = 42000 kj = 11.667 kwh

Assuming you can get all 300kg to an average temp of 150° above ambient.
Marcus, Look at you go! Thank you very much indeed. :) How ye doing? Welcome onboard! The bricks were down to 26 deg this morning with ambient being 17.7 deg or so. They are indeed the magnetite one's. Getting them smooth face to face will help in all respects. Away to collect in the morning and then these test units will go back into storage as they are a part of full spare storage heaters.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Bugtownboy wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:47 pm There’s some merit in high mass, low temp rise in terms of stored energy - I’m not clever enough to understand the relationship (life sciences person).

Keep going back to how a place feels, which, I believe, has a relationship to thermal mass.

Your experiments and observations are great, Joe.
I've always liked the idea of a lot of small things having a combined large impact. Either at my level in the house or other people morphing the idea for their own use. Doesn't have to be fancy or expensive, just each one moves the gauge a little to the better.

Gotta say I was well chuffed at the GCH being off this morning! Uncle Bulgaria would be proud! Glad to have been a boy in the 70's The Good Life & The Wombles, large influence. :)
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Hi Joeboy, you're welcome. :) . I'm OK thanks, or as well as anyone with wits can be whilst watching our glorious leaders avoid tackling climate change :roll:
450W hydro-electric
5110W pv
1.3kw Wt2 - not yet producing
6kWh lead acid - maybe 1kwh useable
LiMnCo battery made from 2nd hand hybrid car modules 3.6kwh nominal 24v.
300lt hot water tank and two storage heaters
ASHP Grant Aerona 3 10.5kw and UFH