Small things matter

Wood stoves, pellets and other bio-fuels
Joeboy

Re: Small things matter

Post by Joeboy »

Funny you should mention that... :D

Used a matt chalkboard paint, very low VOC plus it was on the shelf from a previous job. Will start work on the back next week. Planning to interlink all three sides and under with thermal cement so it all has a chance to contribute. Eventually (before Xmas). I will do thermal side and front logs for aesthetics and heat retention in the mass.

Gonna be honest lads, this is an outstanding low to no cost upgrade. It is time consuming and dirty as hell to prep the blocks flat but it's a winner. :)

Last edited by Joeboy on Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Very unobtrusive with the black paint...
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Stinsy wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:56 pm Very unobtrusive with the black paint...
Thanks Stinsy, kind of you to say. We were down in the cabin and the fire died down to slow embers. The mass was taking up the slack on our return. Very nice.

As an aside, while kidding on we were in Alaska we tried the four Tealight under Claypot heater. Quite effective. I blame the Danes and Stiesdel in particular for this current low cost energy store obsession. :)
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Tikka masala cooked earlier today. Water coming up to temperature to cook rice and room sitting at 21.2 degs.

A couple of the thermal store bricks are peaking at 195 degs. I am looking forward to seeing how all that energy will travel through the interconnected mass on completion.

AND SWMBO got me a Tjene today, exciting times! :)
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

I'm keen to know the temperature of the bricks in the morning. If they're still 40℃ (for example) they'll be giving off heat long after the fire is out.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
nowty

Post by nowty »

Joeboy wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:35 pm AND SWMBO got me a Tjene today, exciting times! :)
I keep meaning to have a go with one of these, we have had some amazing food from them in Morocco.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

Still looking good, Joe. As Stinsy asks, be interesting to see some metrics on the thermal mass (weight, temp degradation overnight) performance.

It obviously works, given its long standing acceptance in colder climes.

Is your cooking performance being affected by the thermal mass - well, not you as a cook, obviously ;), but how quickly the pots are performing.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Bugtownboy wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:10 pm Still looking good, Joe. As Stinsy asks, be interesting to see some metrics on the thermal mass (weight, temp degradation overnight) performance.

It obviously works, given its long standing acceptance in colder climes.

Is your cooking performance being affected by the thermal mass - well, not you as a cook, obviously ;), but how quickly the pots are performing.
Cheers BTB, there is about a 1 hour 'dip' when firing the stove up. Expectations are going on the last 11 months for full heat quite fast. That doesn't happen now. It's still cranking but X amount is noticeably not getting into the air straight off.

Once it's got that first burn turned into embers then it's off to the races. No downside for cooking, all as is. I will take accurate readings once it's all inter connected. The back of the WS and the underside will store a significant volume of heat. Not right up there at 150 but good enough. Again no GCH today, air was 17.5 deg this morning in the big room and all good. From here on out its going to be more efficient as I work through the job. Only that one side is surface to surface connected.
Last edited by Joeboy on Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

Sounds good. There’s that thing called ‘comfort’, sure it’s multi factorial and probably very personal, but if the house feels better, even if the metrics don’t equate, it’s well worth doing.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Bugtownboy wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:03 pm Sounds good. There’s that thing called ‘comfort’, sure it’s multi factorial and probably very personal, but if the house feels better, even if the metrics don’t equate, it’s well worth doing.
Have a look at any of the WS photos. The stove is up on a stand with small logs at front? Even that indirectly heated set of bricks at that level to the right is 100 deg. :)
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs