Killer EVs

Any news worthy story. Good things to watch at the Cinema, Theatre, on TV or have you read a good book lately?
Adokforme

Re: Killer EVs

Post by Adokforme »

AE-NMidlands wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 8:54 am
Adokforme wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 5:27 am So, when I was young we were taught to look left, then right then left again before crossing the road but haven't heard this simple safety message repeated for a long, time except when showing our grandchildren. Quite why people put their own lives at risk when wearing headphones/earpieces when walking or cycling is beyond me. From my experience most of the noise emitted by vehicles comes from that of the tyres rolling over a road surface which generally drowns out engine noise which has been reduced considerably over many years.
If most of the accidents involving EV's are at low speed then it's less likely to involve a fatality so headlining the article Killer EV''s is not what I would expect from any self respecting journalist or newspaper. Unless of course there is an underlying ulterior motive!
er, actually in the UK it is look Right, left then right again as the closest vehicle coming at you is from your right!
Oh my. Having got it wrong all these years I do wonder how I've managed to survive. But then again Killer EV's have only been about for a small proportion of it I guess.
It's reminded me that I was recently driving along a designated Quiet Lane and having cleared a right angled bend a pedestrian came into view a hundred or so yards ahead walking away from us. With distance perhaps halved and without looking round or breaking stride he stepped from roadside onto the grass verge. I remember wondering at the time if he did so because he heard the car approaching or whether he just fancied a change of surface. At no point did he stop or turn around, so after passing I peered into rear view mirror and sure enough, again without breaking stride he stepped back onto the tarmacked surface. Being single track and with limited visiblility at times I doubt whether our speed approached 20 mph at any point so inspite of low speed and road surface noise he was obviously conscious of our approach.
As posted by dan_b then I too am conscious of the possibility of pedestrians stepping from pavements inadvertently, so drive appropriately, tending to focus upon them when approaching. I've lost count of the number of times pedestrians, when crossing the road, have looked round with a surprised look on their face when seeing us so close. It's obviously an issue we all need, and most probably are, very conscious of so drive accordingly.
However, labelling our modes of transport as Killer EV's as a result is nothing less than attention seeking at best or a direct turn off akin to a Murdoch publication otherwise.
Mart

Re: Killer EVs

Post by Mart »

Something I wonder about, is the proper etiquette for passing horses now. There's a nice bit of coast road from Cardiff through to Newport, that's quiet and sometimes has horses. In an ICE I used to slow and wait for a chance to get past, then drive at about 10-15mph whilst fully on the opposite side of the road.

But with BEV's, I tend to follow, until the lead rider (there's usually a more experienced and often older lead rider) looks behind her and sees me, before I start to gently cruise past. The lead rider tends to acknowledge you, maybe wave a thankyou, and come by, and warns the other riders.

I may be over thinking it but don't want to surprise the horses with the more quiet BEV. I used to notice when cycling, that the horses in the fields would stand at the gates and watch the cars and vans go by, but often run back a bit when cyclists went past, so I don't know if BEV's are 'normal' yet to them?
3.58kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV.
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.