Small things matter

Wood stoves, pellets and other bio-fuels
Joeboy

Re: Small things matter

Post by Joeboy »

Fintray wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 3:48 pm Looking good, you've been busy, though I see you are stopping for another cuppa :D
At least 6 a day. Plants are now being strategically placed. I've lost the job to a higher power! 😀
18.2kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
MrPablo

Post by MrPablo »

Superb job Joe, the finished wood looks great against the black - perfect example of natural materials with technological purpose.
10x 405W JA Solar panels (4.05kWp) @ 5 degrees
3x 405W Longi panels (1.22kWp) @ 90 degrees
16.5kWh DIY LifePo4 battery
Solis inverter/charger
0.6kW Ripple WT
MrPablo

Post by MrPablo »

Joe, I see one part of the panels is attached to the brackets you made up, but is the other end attached to the wood frame from below?
How did you secure them? Just contemplating future projects at home, plus at friends and family locations.
10x 405W JA Solar panels (4.05kWp) @ 5 degrees
3x 405W Longi panels (1.22kWp) @ 90 degrees
16.5kWh DIY LifePo4 battery
Solis inverter/charger
0.6kW Ripple WT
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

MrPablo wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 12:36 pm Joe, I see one part of the panels is attached to the brackets you made up, but is the other end attached to the wood frame from below?
How did you secure them? Just contemplating future projects at home, plus at friends and family locations.
There are 50+ rawlplugs and 50mm s/s screws and 10 of 80mm no5 screws into rafter ends for each of the two horizontal fixing timbers

The panels are just over 80kgs between the three of them so ott for that side of things. Its the snow and 80mph winds i didnt want to worry about in the dark. :twisted:

Each of the suspension brackets is held in place with where possible 3 of no5 50mm s/s screws. After that I was throwing the load out towards the kingpost and other vertical timbers to ground.

The panels are secured with no 4.2 hex head s/s self tappers. A Complete pita to fit but they do secure well.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

I took the time to rip the remaining boards down for shadowgap fitting on the inside.

Amazed at how close to running out we will be and that's with some exotic accounting on the internal short wall.

We've got one 8"x2" board untouched, the rest is allocated. If anyone else does similar I'd highlight that ripping down for external coverstrips eats through more board than you'd think. Especially when knots are involved! 😉

From this

To this

First 1/2 wall of shadowgap boards in place and tbh, I'm not impressed. Hoping its a combo of damp boards and a miserable day. Hopefully both will lighten by tomorrow. I'm thinking a 1ltr to 100ml split on the wood preserver and colour to try and hit a lighter note on the internal wall. Jury is out at the moment... :fight: SWMBO says its ok but i'm unconvinced. Not sure what i expected but that just looks like a smashed pallet... :(
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
AGT

Post by AGT »

Might just need dried out a bit more and a bigger gap?
6-8mm?
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

AGT wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 6:07 pm Might just need dried out a bit more and a bigger gap?
6-8mm?
its a 5mm gap across a 92mm board. I'll let it dry out a bit and it will be ok. Might get the belt sander on it too but I do remember that the outer walls changed appearance as they dried. Its just me being grumpy. :D :roll:

Edit
Ibuprofen and a couple off beers did the trick. Even these 3.4mtr 200x25's are letting my lower back know about it! Looked at the outer boards and can't see any of the original marks on boards. Back on track! :) 😀

I am very fortunate to be able to do this stuff.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Squeaked through at the end of the small wall internal build. Three live edge boards for shelves and one 8x2 to be ripped down for future jobs. Best £170 I've spent in years!

Tomorrow a bit of sanding and colour testing. :D

Edit- We are now 16 days since we touched the grid in any way beyond the 1kWh per day allowance for ham-fistedness and Hybrid inverter response time.

The weather has been poor most of that time so it has been a great test of the extended battery capacity & PV net working together The 3 new panels have been on for 12 days, no coincidence I think. :D

42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Added in a handmade lattice to the wall. Spaced it in 10mm decreasing gaps to lend it something.

A few mortar repairs and the kingpost is complete too.

Tomorrow will be internal wall stain. Going on a 5:1 ratio to have lighter internal wood. Getting as much as we can from a restricted pallete.

42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

I only turned my.back for 5 minutes and things appear or rearrange! You may notice the viscous chicken of Bristol has made an appearance?

The weather has been.less than epic and we very much appreciate the extra few kWh's that the bootroom is generating.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs