Small things matter

Wood stoves, pellets and other bio-fuels
Joeboy

Re: Small things matter

Post by Joeboy »

NoraBatty wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 3:26 pm Lol,
ah. My apologies.
Yes, it sprang back with enough force that i have 5 stitches around my eyesocket from a plastic pipe.
What that transfers into in force no idea, but it wasnt fun.
I am normally quite careful with ppe etc for things. Gloves, mask and goggles yesterday for mixing cement, same as cutting wood etc.
Its so obvious looking back of the danger, especially of doing so bending down closer to it, but its something i have never had issue with before. :whako:
I did a fair bit of work with energy chains, a catch all term for non rigid material that can break free and get ye with its residual or still flowing energy. Not a standard concept but a bit of an eyeopener (no pun honestly) once you start looking for them. :xx:

I hope that's your last run in with the concept.
18.2kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
NoraBatty

Post by NoraBatty »

I used to work on survey vessels, and wires/ropes/chains in tension on winches etc, so the concept of spring back or stored energy, is not completely foreign to me.
What was foreign was the spring back that occurred with the roll of pipe.
Ive cut a great many of them open before and only ever had a 10cm, mild kick back.
This particular coil, was laying flat on the floor, i was crouched down over it to cut the straps.
I expected the pipe to slink sideways as normal, instead, it whipped up 1.5ft, and then came round a full 90 degrees.
If it can happen, it will, and complacency when it doesnt is no defence, but i doubt i will ever *see* such a spring back again. Pun, completely intended! :D
Anyway its done now.

Have you added the boot room roof into the battery storage or direct via ac micro?
Its a brilliant idea, using micros direct. My current solar covers all of our days needs, so for me i cant see it being worthwile not to go to the batteries.
But for my Solar adverse family, i am thinking of a few christmas gifts this year to whet the appitite!
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

NoraBatty wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 4:27 pm I used to work on survey vessels, and wires/ropes/chains in tension on winches etc, so the concept of spring back or stored energy, is not completely foreign to me.
What was foreign was the spring back that occurred with the roll of pipe.
Ive cut a great many of them open before and only ever had a 10cm, mild kick back.
This particular coil, was laying flat on the floor, i was crouched down over it to cut the straps.
I expected the pipe to slink sideways as normal, instead, it whipped up 1.5ft, and then came round a full 90 degrees.
If it can happen, it will, and complacency when it doesnt is no defence, but i doubt i will ever *see* such a spring back again. Pun, completely intended! :D
Anyway its done now.

Have you added the boot room roof into the battery storage or direct via ac micro?
Its a brilliant idea, using micros direct. My current solar covers all of our days needs, so for me i cant see it being worthwile not to go to the batteries.
But for my Solar adverse family, i am thinking of a few christmas gifts this year to whet the appitite!
It is connected back via the Victron solar charge controller to the batteries.

I love the AC micros., so many scenarios where they're "just the thing" I am slowly putting together me wee bag of bits to go out to Turkey in July for the fitting of the last two panels in Oct. That's an Enphase iq7.

Worth a look at the Hoymiles gear for a decent balcony style plug & play microinverter for going larger.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
NoraBatty

Post by NoraBatty »

Thanks Joe. I finished reading the solar pv thread last night.
Bit of an eye opener, but my dad happens to live in germany, so buying him a ready to go system is easy as pie.
My sister, and the oh's family, a whole different story!
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

NoraBatty wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 5:18 pm Thanks Joe. I finished reading the solar pv thread last night.
Bit of an eye opener, but my dad happens to live in germany, so buying him a ready to go system is easy as pie.
My sister, and the oh's family, a whole different story!
Your Dad could send you a hoymiles hms 800 tax free... just saying! :D

Lads & lassies, a wee beer from discount dragon. Really nice, malty IPA with some remainder hop. Worth a punt. They've also got 1 ltr bottles of Tanquary Royale at a killer price. Mr Gus switched me on to them. Not let me down yet. :)

42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

A hot day yesterday with much production. Found one DC battery cable that was a little bit toasty.

Looks a bit thin that does? Turns out I'd fitted 16mm sq on one section. Now replaced with a 25mm sq.

Even with only about 2kW flowing from the Victron earlier today check the difference in temp!

Visual

Not sure how I missed that. Maybe ran out of 25mm on the install then forgot to order? Much better now!

Oh it looks like I sold the bungalow today to a very happy English lady. That was a nice, nice moment in time and not for the finances. She was over the 🌙. 😀
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Nice to see the 25mm sq DC cable sitting at 21 degs this morning with 4.4kW incoming. That's much the same inflow as yesterday when that 16mm sq cable was showing 48 degrees. :D

Just goes to show how a simple undersizing can have quite an impact.

42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
AGT

Post by AGT »

Nice. Great use of laser thermometer
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

Here you go Joe :D

Shoulder of lamb in a Yogurt, Garlic and Ras-al-Hanout marinade on a trivet of veg with stock underneath.

Will be slow cooked for 5 hours on the outside oven - covered for the first 4 then uncovered and moved to the top shelf to get a bit of lamb crackling ;)

For a family and friends bbq - son’s 38th :shock:

Weather forecast looking good.
resybaby

Post by resybaby »

Been doing similar myself with the cabling the last couple of days.
Sunsynk installer installed the AC cable to my invertor in 4mm cable through the loft to the fuseboard, and i noticed last year it was getting fairly warm and not just on sunny days when my loft is like an oven. He'd also pushed the bulk of it through the loft in the same 20mm dia trunking as the CT clamp cable. Length around 7m. Sunsynk manual (for what its worth) says min size 6mm.
Now im no electrician at all but have never been overly happy with that, its noticably warm, so have been planning to uprate the cable and finaly got it done yesterday.

Added myself an additional 20mm trunk through which the 6mm was run, as i didnt fancy pulling the old 4mm out of the existing shared trunking incase i damaged the CT cable, it was quite tight. So have left the old 4mm cable in situ in the old trunking disconected at both ends.

All now up and running on the new 6mm and 'cool to the touch' :)

Not the tidiest of wiring jobs but what do you expect from a plumber :D

4.0kw FIT PV solar Sunnyboy 4000tl & 21 Upsolar 190w panels
5.45kw JA Solar panels & Sunsynk ECCO 3.6kw.
7 x US5000 Pylontechs.
4500l RWH
Full Biomass heating system
iBoost HW divertor
Full house internal walls insulation
600min Loft insulation