Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Joeboy

Re: Small things matter

Post by Joeboy »

In this image we can see the side of the WS, first layer of thermal bricks then the cooler outer layer. Fire has been running for about 2 hours. Temps are 200/170/125 on the three layers.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Gareth J

Post by Gareth J »

Interesting stuff, I've often wondered about doing this or similar.

How does wood consumption compare? If you're able to burn a bit hotter and more efficiently, without making the room uncomfortable and without loosing more energy up the chimney, should be a winner. But if it uses the same amount of fuel as the equivalent of just running the stove for a bit longer into the evening, and using the house as the thermal mass, maybe there's not much saving the obbe had as such? I guess it's still more convenient to run the stove for a shorter period either way.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Gareth J wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:41 pm Interesting stuff, I've often wondered about doing this or similar.

How does wood consumption compare? If you're able to burn a bit hotter and more efficiently, without making the room uncomfortable and without loosing more energy up the chimney, should be a winner. But if it uses the same amount of fuel as the equivalent of just running the stove for a bit longer into the evening, and using the house as the thermal mass, maybe there's not much saving the obbe had as such? I guess it's still more convenient to run the stove for a shorter period either way.
Wood consumption is much the same. The difference is that the stored energy that would have been radiated into the air over the burn period is captured and slowly released allowing for a flatter profile. The stove needs to be fed every hour as the firebox is small so by morning the heat released through the burn is gone and there will have been a bit of a spike without the thermal mass to rein it in. We leave two doors from the WS room open so heat can flow into whole of house. With the thermal mass and the flatter profile the GCH is not kicking in at all. I will come back with gas comparison figures at month end. By late in evening the combination of the firebox contents and the heated thermal mass make for an impressive heat. Potent would be a good word. :)
Last edited by Joeboy on Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Joeboy wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:33 am New toy!!! :twisted:
This particular image shows the thermal mass at 10 o'clock this morning. Still emitting at 28 deg. Can see the cold WS flank to its left. Also note the heat in the stand below? There are a few bricks in there too. Not complete or even close to, just a first pass to see if it would work.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Gareth J

Post by Gareth J »

If log consumption hasn't increased and you're ending up with more energy remaining in your house, that indicates a more efficient use of firewood, which is brilliant! This would be indicated by a bigger differential in firebox and exhaust temps. As I say though, even if there is no difference in terms of efficiency and you're just burning more logs to displace the gas, at least by adding the mass, it's going to help make it more convenient to use.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Gareth J wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:59 pm If log consumption hasn't increased and you're ending up with more energy remaining in your house, that indicates a more efficient use of firewood, which is brilliant! This would be indicated by a bigger differential in firebox and exhaust temps. As I say though, even if there is no difference in terms of efficiency and you're just burning more logs to displace the gas, at least by adding the mass, it's going to help make it more convenient to use.
The flue as it passes thru ceiling is around 56 deg and we have seen 300+ on the box, spot temp of 340 on one check and this is on pine. The one hour dip on fire up is the only downside as such. It'll be weeks before I'm finished as other demands on time at the moment. Hope to be finished around 10th Dec.
P.s the 340 degree is a PB and beyond where we have been with hardwoods. Means I will run the risk of over firing the box on hards so will keep an eye out. In saying that, to get to 340 it's the end of a full day so it's not running for long at that temp.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Up at 4am for a cuppa, best temp on thermal bricks of 48 degs. Room sitting at 18.2 degs with 5 degs outdoors.

That''s ten days today no downstairs GCH. :D, wow!
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Job inches forward. First side covered in cherry to slow down the dumping of heat from the thermal bricks uncontrolled through the night. Also passes SWMBO aesthetics test. :) Will finish top later, looks like I will fit brick to flush with stove top for cooking. It's getting there.

View from side which is barely seen.

42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs