Small things matter

Wood stoves, pellets and other bio-fuels
Joeboy

Re: Small things matter

Post by Joeboy »

Moxi wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 6:55 pm We had the rain this morning, stair rods at times, this afternoon it’s been sunny spells and big fluffy clouds with edge scatter, 10.4kWh into the EV6 and the house stack slowly going north of 70% which is more than enough to get us through the night.

That’s six days completely off grid fuelled just by the sun, would have been longer but we needed an overnight charge on the type 1 to cover the weeks driving etc.

Does anyone know of a source for value gabion baskets ? I need to build a part wall and some other hardscaped items like a bin shelter. I’m thinking some of these items might end up with panels on them, a half tonne of slate filled gabion basket should withstand the gales we get here.

Moxi
Congrats on the sun only run. 8-)
We are doing OK here with that. A bit of WBS too though. All grid power bought has went into EV.

Gabion flat panels and wire them yourself? Maybe contact a steel supplier for galvanised mesh sheet? How much is a gabion these days?

Earth packed tyres and rods a non starter? Yeah, it is...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204869595572 ... R7DMkO2RZA
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

🤦‍♂️ didn’t think of eBay, I was looking at main web sites and builders and they all seemed stupidly expensive. Tyres won’t work on this occasion as the finished items will be in very public view.

I’m off to look at eBay- haven’t been on that site for a lifetime.

Weather looks really promising for us tomorrow so the car will be on the type 1 from 9am to run the house battery down a bit before the sun gets around to the west and full power.

Hopefully a better day for you all too.

Moxi
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Moxi wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 10:29 pm 🤦‍♂️ didn’t think of eBay, I was looking at main web sites and builders and they all seemed stupidly expensive. Tyres won’t work on this occasion as the finished items will be in very public view.

I’m off to look at eBay- haven’t been on that site for a lifetime.

Weather looks really promising for us tomorrow so the car will be on the type 1 from 9am to run the house battery down a bit before the sun gets around to the west and full power.

Hopefully a better day for you all too.

Moxi
Moxi have you sent all that Welsh rain up to Aberdeenshire as it is chucking it down just now?

Though now won't need to water any plants outdoors or clean the PV panels...
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Not intentionally - sorry, :fight:

Isn't it an awful summer! we have bright cloudy conditions here which would normally be ok but my my my is the air temperature cool! :freezing:

The decorator is doing the play room and the door is open so I am working with the infrared heater on under my desk to keep warm :whistle: hes back later in the week with the electrician to do the meter cupboard, the FIT meter and the DC isolator need to go on the back board rather than the cupboard wall, then the old cupboard is coming down, we are taking out the old power reducer as its not used at all now and then fitting an extension to the back board before building a new cupboard around it all. After that I with procrastinate for a few months / years about the dreaded smart meter, but only after we have had some run time with the new range oh and I have fitted some more panels here and there and some more batteries too, then, maybe, think about the meter.

I also need to get outside at some point and cut some fire wood that I have collected from here and there, what with using the LPG gas boiler for heating in the early months and planning to do the same at the back end of the year in heating season (August onwards by current temperature levels!) our wood requirements have falling to a point where I am once again able to collect enough free wood for requirements as long as I can stay on top of logging and chopping. I'm hoping that this format stays true into the back end of the season and through the eventual transition to an ASHP heating and DHW system, just using the WBS on the coldest days where the ASHP is overwhelmed and for those inevitable few days when theres no power because the storms have dropped the poles again.

Moxi
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

I saw a mini spout down from the clouds about 1pm today. Used to see them in China a fair bit. First time here, sadly no picture. It was a double take moment though!

We still managed a 38kWh generation day. Disappeared the lot here onsite! :D

Glad to hear the ashp is a winner Moxi.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Yes, I am this sad. A decent bit of generation, managed to see and time the cooling system pulling temp down from 35degs to 30degs. Ambient in garage is 14degs.

Standing by.... :D

First run.

Second run.

Recovery time from 30 to 35 degs

I am inordinately proud of this, next stop Mars!! :)

Right, away to try and cut grass before the rain arrives. :D
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
AGT

Post by AGT »

Wonder why they are fitted as standard?
Fans to stop your product blowing up, prolong the life, great idea
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

AGT wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 11:30 am Wonder why they are fitted as standard?
Fans to stop your product blowing up, prolong the life, great idea
Vested interests. They want to sell you the next one too, likely on precise timeline of failure? Found this video on a trawl this afternoon. A LOT of work has went into making these units non service items.

The guys voice is brilliant, Mr Laidback. :praise:

42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
AGT

Post by AGT »

Yes, seen a few videos of you tubers trying to get into them!
Old guy Andy Reynolds butchers a few..

I suppose if you mount it on a steel plate or do the extra fan thing you will be ok or underrate
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

That was pish, a 7kWh day. What month is it? :facepalm:

Upside though, had a zero mile Ioniq 5 as a loan car while our one was in for what turned out to be an update to the charging software. Did get a look around a Ioniq5N though. 620bhp, 315 mile range, 65k....
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs