Small things matter

Wood stoves, pellets and other bio-fuels
Bugtownboy

Re: Small things matter

Post by Bugtownboy »

Joe, not wanting to be a downer, but is the wood ‘cladding’ not a fire risk ? If you add thermal mass to the top, are you inhibiting your ability to cook ?

I get what you’re doing and follow with interest - just adding a note of caution.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Bugtownboy wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:51 pm Joe, not wanting to be a downer, but is the wood ‘cladding’ not a fire risk ? If you add thermal mass to the top, are you inhibiting your ability to cook ?

I get what you’re doing and follow with interest - just adding a note of caution.
It's airgapped. Time will tell! The outer layer of brick's doesn't get above 140deg.....so far.

In addition and genuine thanks for caring. Ran both sides for 10 days with wood directly on the bricks and no problem. The firebox itself is small and needs fed every hour. That in itself is the 'dead man switch'. The top I will add is on top of the existing thermal bricks to bring level with the metal cooking surface. Means I can gave two good sized pots at the back instead of our smallest. Might see if I can get some sliced and polished slate?
Last edited by Joeboy on Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

Sure you’d be on it - although I love fire (soz), I still treat it with caution.
marshman

Post by marshman »

I'm with BTB. you say the bricks surface "Only" gets up to 140 deg C. But when covered with the wood they are likely to get hotter as the wood is effectively insulating then. At around 180 deg C wood will start to "char", i.e. break down - I have just checked this with a hot air gun I use for repairs to electronics with Surface Mount Components. Part of the "charring" process is to start to give off volatile gasses - granted it is a one way process i.e. once the wood has given all it's got it can give no more, but at that temperature it will ignite so, so easily.

I would feel far more comfortable if you covered the bricks with ceramic logs like these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282660474557 ... Sw409ZwR1D

OK I haven't searched that hard and these are expensive but you get the idea.

I do worry that you are pushing the safety boundaries a bit tight with so much wood in very close contact with the bricks and the ones up the front edge look to be very close the the fire box itself.
Last edited by marshman on Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

marshman wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:51 pm I'm with BTB. you say the bricks surface "Only" gets up to 140 deg C. But when covered with the wood they are likely to get hotter as the wood is effectively insulating then. At around 180 deg C wood will start to "char", i.e. break down - I have just checked this with a hot air gun I use for repairs to electronics with Surface Mount Components. Part of the "charring" process is to start to give off volatile gasses - granted it is a one way process i.e. once the wood has given all it's got it can give no more, but at that temperature it will ignite so, so easily.

I would feel far more comfortable if you covered the bricks with ceramic logs like these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282660474557 ... Sw409ZwR1D

OK I haven't searched that hard and these are expensive but you get the idea.

I do worry that you are pushing the safety boundaries a bit tight with so much wood in very close contact with the bricks and the ones up the front edge look to be very close the the fire box itself.

I love what you are doing and agree with what you say about thermal mass (my house has wall feet thick and a mahoosive Inglenook fireplace and chimney which makes several tonnes of thermal mass) BUT worry about that wood "cladding".

Roger
Guys, I love you to bits, thank you so much for caring! Honestly, the WS itself is insulated inside. I can't write the amount of temp checks I've done and monitoring every step as I adjust. I will be keeping a close eye for colour change in the thermal skin. I will be all over this for each and every step and won't be rushing it. If I think for a moment I am hazardous I will rip the lot off, photo and report back for those coming on board down the line. I'll just go back to black brick. I don't mind prodding the envelope but I'm not pushing it. Honest.
Keep em coming, the Hive mind rocks! :)
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

P.S 99 bottles of beer on the wall. :) Smashing eh? Look at us collectively go!
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

I do enj :ugeek: oy a Classic FM evening with a large g&t. :)

Last edited by Joeboy on Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

3 degs and ice here this morning. At 08.30 the big room was at 16.1 degs. I'd normally have had the WS running for an hour by now but slept on. It's doing well but at temperatures much below this the GCH would kick in.

Luckily the rear of the stove has to be completed so that will add more mass so should push it to the good. Away for an overnighter to see Beauty & the Beast in Edinburgh tonight with SWMBO and daughter. Will knock the GCH off and see what the room temp is tomorrow morning with no heating at all today.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Sunrisemike

Post by Sunrisemike »

On another matter, my son has replaced his log burner with a bigger one. The new stove is a fire belly, double sided glass 11.5kw. Old. Stove was around 6. The okd5ss flue lining was 5",
This recommends 6" it if defra approved, which indicates 5"is acceptable. Its a single story building, so not much run.
Any suggestions?
Cheers

Mikr
Off grid.
3.9 kw solar panels
6 x solar collectors
40 kWh rolls batteries
Orligno wood gasification boiler
2000 litre storage tank
Lister generator...
marshman

Post by marshman »

__
Last edited by marshman on Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.