Wasps again!

Share your growing tips
AE-NMidlands

Wasps again!

Post by AE-NMidlands »

or rather, not many wasps:
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... GTUK_email
The winged insects may have a bad rep but their low profile this summer could spell trouble for the environment

We think of them as pests to run away from, or to squash with the nearest object to hand, before they sting us or target our jam sandwiches. But wasps are actually one of the most fascinating species around; apex predators that kill and dismember prey for their young and have complex and fascinating social lives.
This year they are in the spotlight after experts began to notice they were not around in the usual numbers. Unlike butterflies and bees, there is no nationwide effort to chart wasp numbers; they are very much neglected in the public eye.

That is despite the fact that there are more than 100,000 species of described wasps, with 9,000 of these in the UK, and scientists estimate five to 10 times this number are yet to be discovered. Most do not sting, and the large majority of those that do are solitary wasps that only hunt specific types of prey. The yellowjackets and hornets that do sting humans represent only about 70 species globally, and in the UK there are only nine species of these.
Professor Seirian Sumner is an entomologist at University College London who has spent her career studying wasps. She said she was “thrilled” that people were worrying about low wasp numbers because “usually they only get airtime when they start annoying people”.
“The fact that the low wasp numbers are making people take notice and, dare I say it, worry whether the lack of wasps is a bad thing, is really heartwarming for someone like me who’s been a cheerleader for wasps against a tide of wasp-fearmongering and negativity.”
etc.
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Moxi

Re: Wasps again!

Post by Moxi »

I must be the lucky one in that case as most of the wasps around me sting! Even while reading this a wasp has dozzily buzzed into the room and descended on the kitchen to cause chaos.

Not good to hear the pesky things are in low numbers tho as much as I hate them.

Me and my six year old saw a common lizard while collecting stone for more gabion baskets Saturday.

Moxi
Tinbum

Post by Tinbum »

Moxi wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2024 9:13 am
Me and my six year old saw a common lizard while collecting stone for more gabion baskets Saturday.

Moxi
We had an otter in our garden about a month ago, caught it on the cctv as well. Also a squirel yesterday with is unusual here. Often see snakes and stotes.
85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, 8kWh Growatt storage, 22 x US3000C Pylontech, Sofar ME3000's, Brosley wood burner and 250lt DHW
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Wow that’s a bit special, last time I saw an otter was up in Scotland in the harbour that’s at the end of the Harry Potter train line - can’t think of the name sorry but I’m sure someone here will know, it was a very long drive to get there I recall but the scenery was magnificent.

What snakes do you get Tinbum? We get adders mostly where I am but over at old Conwy there’s a colony of Aesculapian Snakes which I have yet to spot when in that area but they are pretty cool !

Stoats are rare up here too although I have seen a few weasels over the years but mostly it’s brown rats.

Moxi
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Moxi wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2024 6:58 pm Wow that’s a bit special, last time I saw an otter was up in Scotland in the harbour that’s at the end of the Harry Potter train line - can’t think of the name sorry but I’m sure someone here will know, it was a very long drive to get there I recall but the scenery was magnificent.
Moxi
Mallaig, the length of the drive depends where you start from :D From Wales is deffo a very long drive!
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Cheers Fintray,

That was the place, it was a day trip from Glencoe as we were on holibobs, we went there and then on the way back stopped of at the white sands of Morar, then over to Ardnamurchan for the ferry to Mull and down to catch the ferry across to Oban before heading back to Glencoe. That was years ago but the eldest for kids at the time loved it!

I will have to take the youngest three up that way at some point!

Moxi