Brand new MG5 for under 20k

All things related to vehicles - EVs, transport, fuels
Andy

Re: Brand new MG5 for under 20k

Post by Andy »

I'm not sure how others are getting on with their MGs but I'll highlight some issues with my MG5.

The heating stopped working just before three years in the middle of the winter rendering the car undrivable because of misting of the windows. It took about 5 weeks to get fixed because of diagnosis and parts. It required two days of work taking the dash out and replacing it. The heating logic is not very good at holding a temperature post the fixing.

The paint on the cill under the doors has flaked off and they say it is caused by chips and the warranty won't cover it.

The charge door latch thingy froze in the winter so we couldn't open the hatch to charge the car. Now it is showing signs of rust and won't turn freely without manual intervention.

The seat covering is splitting after 50,000 miles.

Just went to change the brakes and I can't get third party pads and disks. £630 for a set from MG.

It charges extremely slowly in the winter.

Good things: its still holding up on range. It's nice enough to drive. It's mainly knobs and buttons for the controls.

Oh and the local MG dealer stopped selling them because of the awful support from MG and the refusal to honour warrant claims. Usually the cost of chasing them costs more than the claim so isn't worth taking to court.
Last edited by Andy on Fri Aug 16, 2024 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Thanks Andy, always good to have real world experience to balance the glossy sales pitch.

Moxi
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Co incidentally I was speaking to a mate a few days ago. He was asking about different ev's. Out the blue he said he'd had an MG hire car and it was absolutely crap. Terrible build quality. His words not mine. I have no experience of the marque beyond the 60's/70's.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Andy

Post by Andy »

Oh, and I posted my paint experience on a Facebook MG fan boy page. The post never got authorised. So it would appear you only get to see the good things. The dealer said there had been a fair few people with the paint issue. Its through to the bare metal. It appears the bouncy sublayer of paint for chips isn't doing its thing.
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Does this all coincide with those images of tens of thousands of evs sat in Chinese stock yards from a few months back ?

I wonder how long it will be before the other manufacturers are forced to follow the trend?

Moxi
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

It's the madness of the "ooh I must get the latest numberplate" with the 74 issue coming in September, so the dealers who have "pre-registered" vehicles (in order to inflate their own sales figures) are now left with stock they desperately need to shift, basically at all costs.
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
resybaby

Post by resybaby »

dan_b wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 1:06 pm It's the madness of the "ooh I must get the latest numberplate" with the 74 issue coming in September, so the dealers who have "pre-registered" vehicles (in order to inflate their own sales figures) are now left with stock they desperately need to shift, basically at all costs.
Spot on Dan, the mad rush for just a new plate is just crazy.

Ironically, the new plastic number plate itself, is the only part of the new vehicle that doesnt actually deteriorate nor lose value.
4.0kw FIT PV solar Sunnyboy 4000tl & 7 x 570w JA solar panels
7.08kw JA Solar panels & Sunsynk ECCO 3.6kw.
7 x US5000 Pylontechs.
4500l RWH
Full Biomass heating system
iBoost HW divertor
Full house internal walls insulation
600min Loft insulation
Fueltheburn

Post by Fueltheburn »

2 or 3 year old Merc Eqc with low miles for under 25k.
Based on the well known GLC platform and retrofitted with a dual motor setup. Circa 240 to 250 miles range.

Another one that has dropped substantially and is an epic car is the xc40 dual motor. Test drove one and it felt like it was rippling the tarmac. It accelerates too easily and is bound to get you in trouble.

Both have dropped substantially in a few years and are on my list of cars when I eventually move to an electric car. Just going to wait until they start taxing them annually for road tax which will annoy most folk and they may move them on for diesels as a result.
3kW FIT Solar
0.8kW balcony solar.
2,372 W of turbine at Whitelaw Brae
6kw Panasonic air to air heat pump for downstairs.
2 WBS. Stovax 8kw and 5kw Morso squirrel
Rointe D series in 2 bedrooms and bathroom.
Aiming to go fully electric....
CrofterMannie

Post by CrofterMannie »

I've had a few issues with my mg5 but about 3000 of it's 40k miles have been done on dirt roads which probably doesn't help and it cost about £20k which was a lot cheaper than any other new EV at the time.

The charge door is flimsy plastic which no longer closes. (MG are going to fix that today...)

The entertainment screen had to be replaced as it stopped working.

Once the car called 999 without warning and the sudden conversation with the emergency operator, at 110dB, was nearly enough of a fright to cause a crash!

The actual drive train seems fine and I quite enjoy driving it.
8kw solar
ETA log boiler
5ha woodland
MG5EV