100% RE electricity this morning.

Any news worthy story. Good things to watch at the Cinema, Theatre, on TV or have you read a good book lately?
dan_b

Re: 100% RE electricity this morning.

Post by dan_b »

Octopus has just pushed out a "plunge price discount" on their Electroverse EV charging network for today though so lower rates on the big boys like Ionity, Osprey etc.
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
Ken

Post by Ken »

Perhaps,
But if you had taken your snapshot earlier then you would have seen that export was way more than the gas generation.

Snapshots are quite meaningless and can be used to prove any point one likes. I think a 8hr (23.00 to 07.00 UTC ) NET 100% RE excluding wind curtailment, is noteworthy. The amount of wind curtailment is important as it is leccy production installed and just round the corner.
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Perhaps,
But if you had taken your snapshot earlier then you would have seen that export was way more than the gas generation.
Snapshots are quite meaningless and can be used to prove any point one likes. I think a 8hr (23.00 to 07.00 UTC ) NET 100% RE excluding wind curtailment, is noteworthy. The amount of wind curtailment is important as it is leccy production installed and just round the corner.
[/quote]

I didn't know yours wasn't a snapshot though. The third link shows me a 24-hour snapshot, which is similar:
Screenshot 2024-08-22 at 10-55-53 Generation by fuel type Insights Solution.png
Screenshot 2024-08-22 at 10-55-53 Generation by fuel type Insights Solution.png (23.65 KiB) Viewed 367 times
Ken wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2024 10:11 am
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

what is included in "other" in that categorisation?
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Ken wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2024 10:11 am Perhaps,

The curtailment is super important as it represents lost potential - In bygone times the national grid had a number of embedded customers who they could call at short notice to switch off parts or all of their operations to prevent grid instability - these were quite massive energy consumers - I know one of these was my first employer British Steel Special steels division with their electric arc furnaces. So, and as I have banged on about before, why doesn't the grid have a group of customers in industry who it can call on to switch plants on to soak up the extra demand ? Obviously pumped hydro does a bit of this but there must be other industries that can switch on and be ramped up to MW and GW? absorption to avoid curtailment, the power would be free and the reduction in costs would make the end product more competitive on the open market.

There needs to be some sort of regulation to ensure that the benefit is uniformly shared and some of the gain gets back to replace/ increase the generating capacity but to curtail at this stage seems wasteful - maybe this is something GBE is mandated to consider ??

Moxi
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

Well that is the theory behind the "green hydrogen economy". Build loads of electrolysers that are there to create H2 when conditions allow. But think BESS and other forms of storage are just much cheaper to build and operate ?
Ken

Post by Ken »

Moxi wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2024 11:03 am
Ken wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2024 10:11 am Perhaps,

The curtailment is super important as it represents lost potential - In bygone times the national grid had a number of embedded customers who they could call at short notice to switch off parts or all of their operations to prevent grid instability - these were quite massive energy consumers - I know one of these was my first employer British Steel Special steels division with their electric arc furnaces. So, and as I have banged on about before, why doesn't the grid have a group of customers in industry who it can call on to switch plants on to soak up the extra demand ? Obviously pumped hydro does a bit of this but there must be other industries that can switch on and be ramped up to MW and GW? absorption to avoid curtailment, the power would be free and the reduction in costs would make the end product more competitive on the open market.

There needs to be some sort of regulation to ensure that the benefit is uniformly shared and some of the gain gets back to replace/ increase the generating capacity but to curtail at this stage seems wasteful - maybe this is something GBE is mandated to consider ??

Moxi
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Screenshot 2024-08-24 at 13-56-56 GB Fuel type power generation production.png
Screenshot 2024-08-24 at 13-56-56 GB Fuel type power generation production.png (33.73 KiB) Viewed 242 times
Now showing minimal fossil fuel use. How low can gas go?
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
nowty

Post by nowty »

AE-NMidlands wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2024 1:59 pm How low can gas go?
Its been down as low as 1.5GW for a couple of years now and this year it has been under 1GW according to the data on Gridwatch.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

We should see periods of zero gas on the grid next summer all being well.