https://www.sserenewables.com/news-and- ... in-the-uk/
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
dan_b

Re: Viking

Post by dan_b »

There's concerns with the Xlink project about a huge cost hike
https://www.newcivilengineer.com/latest ... 7-04-2024/

And also some alternative plans have been run up the flag-pole to add in a spur to potentially connect to other EU countries
https://www.rechargenews.com/energy-tra ... -1-1611204

So who knows what's actually going on.
Bugtownboy wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 9:26 am But there’s still criticism :facepalm:

I just don’t get what people expect.

The interconnectors are game changers - though I accept they are a very vulnerable bit of infrastructure in the event of conflict/mischief.

Just wish they’d crack on with the Morocco project - either as a stand alone UK-Morocco initiative or via a wider European network.
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Mart

Post by Mart »

Furious party members made the comments last night (Monday) after analysis by the Renewable Energy Foundation (REF) revealed the energy giant was receiving a staggering £199/MWh for the electricity the windfarm produced in August.

That is three times the generous guaranteed price awarded by the UK government.
Can anyone explain what that means, as I'm struggling? Where there very high wholesale prices at times in August?

The article seems really odd.

And if they got £199/MWh, then don't they have to pay the difference above the CfD rate, back into the CfD fund? I can find two Viking wind schemes on the CfD register one for £59.98/MWh and another for £73.33/MWh (figures are current with index linking).
8.7kWp PV [2.12kWp SSW + 4.61kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV]
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
20kWh Battery storage.
nowty

Post by nowty »

Mart wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 5:02 pm
Furious party members made the comments last night (Monday) after analysis by the Renewable Energy Foundation (REF) revealed the energy giant was receiving a staggering £199/MWh for the electricity the windfarm produced in August.

Can anyone explain what that means, as I'm struggling? Where there very high wholesale prices at times in August?

And if they got £199/MWh, then don't they have to pay the difference above the CfD rate, back into the CfD fund? I can find two Viking wind schemes on the CfD register one for £59.98/MWh and another for £73.33/MWh (figures are current with index linking).
I'm finding it difficult to understand as well.

The only thing I can think of is if they have any battery storage, they can receive their constraint payments, so thats the £2M for being switched off to the grid, but they can still operate and charge the batteries whilst being switched off from the grid. Then they could export at peak times when the price is £199 / MWh and the power from the batteries is not subject to the CFD.

I know some wind farms off the east coast of Scotland do this but I don't know if Viking has this facility or not.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
nowty

Post by nowty »

Or maybe the Shetland Islands are not on the main UK grid and the power there is normally really expensive and not subject to the CFD, plus were paid not to connect to the UK grid on top.

Some info here on the Shetland Island Power, sounds like they are not on the grid and now only connected via the DC connector which was purposely switched off in Aug.
https://www.ssen.co.uk/about-ssen/our-w ... nd-energy/
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 5:29 pm Or maybe the Shetland Islands are not on the main UK grid and the power there is normally really expensive and not subject to the CFD, plus were paid not to connect to the UK grid on top.

Some info here on the Shetland Island Power, sounds like they are not on the grid and now only connected via the DC connector which was purposely switched off in Aug.
https://www.ssen.co.uk/about-ssen/our-w ... nd-energy/
Used to hear Sullom Voe all the time in the North sea as its the shoreside hub for the FF's flowing out of the North Sea. I wonder if Shetlanders got a discount price on power since the 70's?

If they didn't, they haven't learned how politicians and big business will pump ye at every opportunity. Sad if this is the case as i liked the islanders when I was up there. Smashing people.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Ken

Post by Ken »

As i understand it the wind farm failed to get a CfD and SSE carried on without. The CfD cap imposed by the auctions may have been to low for Viking.
Did they also have to pay for the connector? This is the same problem in the Western Isles in that they need a higher CfD than on the mainland and then there is the cost of the connector ...and the locals want to keep the proceeds.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Mart wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 5:02 pm

I dont think they did get £199/MWh but they did get a lot from curtailment and some journo has as done some wrong calc.

There is a lot of axes to grind in the Shetland Isles over this and many campained hard against it with appeals all the way to the top.

As i understand it the connector was operational from 12th August so surely curtailed ??
Last edited by Ken on Wed Sep 04, 2024 11:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
nowty

Post by nowty »

Ken wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2024 10:23 am As i understand it the wind farm failed to get a CfD and SSE carried on without. The CfD cap imposed by the auctions may have been to low for Viking.
Did they also have to pay for the connector? This is the same problem in the Western Isles in that they need a higher CfD than on the mainland and then there is the cost of the connector ...and the locals want to keep the proceeds.
So the line in the story, is very misleading as its what other wind farms were awarded via the CFD auction, not Viking.

"That is three times the generous guaranteed price awarded by the UK government."
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3