Viking

Wind turbines
Mart

Re: Viking

Post by Mart »

Ken wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2024 10:23 am As i understand it the wind farm failed to get a CfD and SSE carried on without. The CfD cap imposed by the auctions may have been to low for Viking.
Did they also have to pay for the connector? This is the same problem in the Western Isles in that they need a higher CfD than on the mainland and then there is the cost of the connector ...and the locals want to keep the proceeds.
You could be right as I can't match up the CfD's to the info.

There are the two Viking CfD schemes one from R4 of 220MW and one from R5 for 223MW - so far that matches the 443MW of the news article.

BUT ..... (big but) those are recent rounds, with commissioning dates of 2027 (£60/MWh) and 2028 (£73/MWh) respectively.

You are spot on about the higher cost in these areas, and the two CfD's above, both get the 'remote island wind' rate so in the R4 auction the award was £46.39 v's £42.47 for on-shore wind (2012 prices), but the R5 auction actually had the same rates, both at £52.29. R6 doesn't have a remote island wind line. I don't know if that's because prices have normalised, and it's been removed, or if there simply were no winning bids this year.

Edit - Just checked the documentation for R6 and there were on-shore wind, and remote island wind categories, but both carried a bid max of £64/MWh. So looks like there simply weren't any applications / successful applications this year. [The winning on-shore wind bids in R6 were awarded £50.90/MWh.]
8.7kWp PV [2.12kWp SSW + 4.61kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV]
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
20kWh Battery storage.
nowty

Re: Viking

Post by nowty »

There was a question asked during Prime Ministers questions today about the Shetland Island energy issue but the only complaint was the bit about them being paid to switch off.

I think there are multiple lines of misinformation or at least half truths in that story from the Shetland Times.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3