Cam Pets, or Petcam?

Mart

Re: Cam Pets, or Petcam?

Post by Mart »

Fintray wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 6:07 pm
Mart wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 5:25 pm What's that saying, I think it's 'when one dog closes another one opens'?

So, we got to meet the lovely Gary today, who stayed and kept me company for the afternoon. He's a very friendly Retriever cross German Shepherd who's progressing (slowly) through training with Guide Dogs. He and Buster got on like a house on fire.

Where have I seen one of those ladder stores before... :D
Make sure you trim those shrubs to keep at a suitable height as wouldn't want the ladder store to be shaded.
See ..... I told everyone it was really a ladder store :whistle:

Yep, already had a conversation about the bushes. When we moved in (1997) there was a mature Fuscia, and all of the dogs have played chasing each other around it. It would get cut down for the winter. But it got some sort of disease about 3yrs ago, and after a few years we gave up and replaced it, so those bushes are only a year old and will need trimming in the Autumn.

Photo is slightly deceptive as where I'm standing, the lawn has dropped about a foot, as we live on a hill that slopes down towards the south and behind me is a tallish fence (5 to 6 foot*) which lines up with the top of those bushes. So they are now at about max height before they 'overtake' the fence for shading.

Tbh, the slope of the hill means that even the low sun shouldn't cause much shading outside of the very lowest days in December

*About 3ft high relative to the lower edge of the panels and with about a 2ft drop off due to a sloping lawn.
8.7kWp PV [2.12kWp SSW + 4.61kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV]
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
20kWh Battery storage.
Mart

Post by Mart »

Might be getting a temporary* 3rd cat for our ginga's Bodie and Doyle to make friends with. He's at the cattery and feeling very sorry for himself. He has a really bad wound from the back of his head and down to the shoulders, perhaps 80mm by 50mm. Looks like a wound, rather than a really bad abscess. And he keeps scratching it. He's also getting hissy, and at the same time shutting down, as he's having to be manhandled an awful lot.

Saw him yesterday when I dropped off another load of litter (pellets), only 20 sacks! Will probably need to stay 6 weeks, and I opened my big mouth that he may need a home foster. Went down this morning and fussed him, but he mostly cowered. I did get a gentle push of his head against my hand when I persisted. One of the saddest boys I've seen in a while.

*Only hesitating as Wifey and me have a very, very bad history when it comes to fostering, with an extremely high 'foster fail' rate. Probably shouldn't have tempted fate by nicknaming him Cowley. :facepalm:

Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
20kWh Battery storage.
Krill

Post by Krill »

Cowley looks cute, and like a proper lap kitty.
Solar PV: 6.4kW solar PV (Eurener MEPV 400W*16)
PV Inverter: Solis 6kW inverter
Batteries: 14.4kWh LiFePO4 batteries (Pylontech US5000*3)
Battery Inverter: LuxPowertek 3600 ACS*2 battery inverter
WBS: 8kW Hunter Avalon 6 Multifuel burner (wood only)
Mart

Post by Mart »

So, turns out Cowley ia as cute as he looks. And to the surprise of absolutely nobody (I'm sure), he's now at our house. And he's doing a strange thing, that several cats have done to me over the years, which is to get friendly, butt my hands and purr, then suddenly bite me, but with no pressure, just squeeze my hand with their teeth. I think it's some sort of trust exercise, but not entirely sure. Hopefully I'll pass the test.

Couple of pics, one after he found the catnip toy. And one to show his wound, I tried to find a pic not too gratuitous, but don't open and zoom if you're very squeamish. I'm hoping it's now mostly superficial, so if he'll just stop scratching it (with trimmed claws) it should heal pretty fast.

Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
20kWh Battery storage.
Krill

Post by Krill »

Yay another adoptee :) the wound looks to be granulating from the picture you have, so hopefully it does heal but he might need a scarf in the winter :winter:
nowty

Post by nowty »

I do miss my pussy's, sometimes when I arrive home I'm still expecting one to show up at the front door. There is still a squeaky mouse toy under a cupboard next the the TV subwoofer. When we watch a film with some high booming sounds, it sometimes sets off the mouse and I always say to SWMBO, its the ghost of White or Brown cat.

About the only time I managed to get both the cats to pose together for a photo.
16.9kW PV > 108MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 24MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Mart

Post by Mart »

Krill wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 4:03 pm Yay another adoptee :) the wound looks to be granulating from the picture you have, so hopefully it does heal but he might need a scarf in the winter :winter:
No, no, no, definitely not adopting Cowley, no, definitely not, no ........... :whistle:

Hey, Nowty, I can get you a good deal on some kits or kats, though the postage might be quite high, and tricky? :shock:
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
20kWh Battery storage.
Mart

Post by Mart »

Krill wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 4:03 pm Yay another adoptee :) the wound looks to be granulating from the picture you have, so hopefully it does heal but he might need a scarf in the winter :winter:
Sill little sausage spent Fri night and Sat morning scratching all of the scab off his neck and head (again). So pretty raw. :cat-shock:

This is why Anna (ARC - Anna's Rescue Centre) asked me to take him on. He can get past a cone, a onesy, and even a duck costume where the bill went most of the way over the top of his head. His claws have been trimmed but he's very determined. We are now trying some eye ointment that we know helps wounds heal, but stay supple. Maybe that will prevent him wanting to scratch it when the scab gets hard and cracks.

But, on to the good news, he's an absolute sweetheart, wants to headbutt any part of you he can get near. Will roll on his back and play with my hand as I tickle his paws and belly. Not sure on his age, but his paws and nose are very small, so I can't believe he's a semi-mature small male, I suspect he's ~10 months old.

Tending to call him 'Muppet' now, as that seems to fit him better than Cowley.
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
20kWh Battery storage.
Krill

Post by Krill »

Have you tried little manacles, like on a chain gang j/k

I wonder if aqueous cream would be a good choice? That can just be slathered on, but I suppose he might try and lick it off.
Mart

Post by Mart »

Krill wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 5:42 pm Have you tried little manacles, like on a chain gang j/k

I wonder if aqueous cream would be a good choice? That can just be slathered on, but I suppose he might try and lick it off.
I actually suggested 'something like a chain gang' to Wifey, as a joke. Even wondered if we could fit little soft mittens onto his murder mittens. But he's an absolute Houdini at getting out of things. A dressing would be great, but of course it would have to be strapped/taped around his neck and throat, which we can't do.

Yep again too any goo. We are trying to put ointment on, and he's really forgiving if we make him sting, but it also seems to increase his desire to wash/play with it, so a catch 22 scenario. Just hoping it can mend faster than he aggravates it.

But what a sweetheart. He's even met Buster the retriever a few times now. Buster won't look at him, but uses quick side eye glances. He seems chill, and then we take Buster back out. Bodie and Doyle the cats keep popping in, but hiss at hime, then run back out, which is pretty typical for cat meetings, so looks fine too.

'Muppet' is sticking, or a variant on it of Cookie Monster, as he loves his food.

And in new news, poor Vesper (the buddy dog in the vid, opening post) is still struggling with his leg op, and athritis. The family are heartbroken, especially as he can't keep up with all the young children and other dogs, and they like to do lots of outings ....... so we're wondering whether we should suggest he moves in with us. We'd have to stop the Guide Dog boarding while he's here, but the slower lifestyle may be necessary. Such an utterly lovely boy, and only ~6yr old.
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
20kWh Battery storage.