ASHP & triple glazing

Air source, ground source and associated systems for heating homes
Joeboy

Re: ASHP & triple glazing

Post by Joeboy »

AGT wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 5:58 pm Pretty sure on the green living forum, or one of them there was a glazing guy called Craig, lots of special sealing tape and expanding foam designed for window installs to help seal gaps properly, no point in sticking in Tg and have a huge poorly sealed strip around the window.

Will try and find the threads over the weekend
I will add this to my ask next week. Mucho gracias.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Joeboy wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 5:44 pm Wow, that is mightily impressive as is Fintray's current 5.7 cop.
I wouldn't get too excited as that must have been the 30 min COP which can be high but once it's calculated over 24hrs it's not as high, unfortunately.

Did a rough calculation of how much it cost for the heat output v's oil cost since the monitoring went in.
Total Electricity input Total Heat output SCOP
2533 kWh 11185 kWh 4.42

Average price of heating oil over past 6 months 64p/L, so at 100% efficient boiler (yes, I know they aren't) 6.4p/kWh.
My rough average price for electricity say 10p/kWh but probably less. :xx:

Oil cost for 11185kWh would have been £715.84.
Electricity cost for the same was £253.30
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
cojmh

Post by cojmh »

I am going to have a guess at around £25K for the windows and doors.

This is based on one supplier quoting me nearly £5K for 1 (not very big window) and 2 doors (front and side door). Prices have gone mad!! But I will not be going for that quote!

Very interesting thread and I am watching with interest - I am still weighing up which to go for at the moment but will have to order in a week or two myself and this thread might well change my thought process.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Fintray wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 8:22 pm
Joeboy wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 5:44 pm Wow, that is mightily impressive as is Fintray's current 5.7 cop.
I wouldn't get too excited as that must have been the 30 min COP which can be high but once it's calculated over 24hrs it's not as high, unfortunately.

Did a rough calculation of how much it cost for the heat output v's oil cost since the monitoring went in.
Total Electricity input Total Heat output SCOP
2533 kWh 11185 kWh 4.42

Average price of heating oil over past 6 months 64p/L, so at 100% efficient boiler (yes, I know they aren't) 6.4p/kWh.
My rough average price for electricity say 10p/kWh but probably less. :xx:

Oil cost for 11185kWh would have been £715.84.
Electricity cost for the same was £253.30
That is a great result and over not so many months too. I'm looking forward to meeting Robbie on the 7th Oct and we'll see what he comes up with. I very much appreciate the pathfinding you did Ian.

Watching one of the 25th anniversary grand designs this evening. In it they said triple glazing was not available to the builder from within England in 2008. It just shows how fast the game moves. Grand designs as a historical reference tool, who'd have guessed it! I wonder when they did their first ashp on the show 🤔?
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

cojmh wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 9:13 pm I am going to have a guess at around £25K for the windows and doors.

This is based on one supplier quoting me nearly £5K for 1 (not very big window) and 2 doors (front and side door). Prices have gone mad!! But I will not be going for that quote!

Very interesting thread and I am watching with interest - I am still weighing up which to go for at the moment but will have to order in a week or two myself and this thread might well change my thought process.
Glad to help, I'm a bit like that myself (unsure which way to leap). The lads on here have been very helpful and open with their experience on both ashp and Tg over the last couple of years right up to and including today.

I'm fortunate in being able to line both up at the same time. Whether they both come off successfully or not is another story!

I'm mentally allowing 40k for both (25 Tg & 15 ashp) and also allowing that any grants will not materialise. It's a big chunk of cash but I'd rather spend it in here than be open to it disappearing in a tax raid.

So far so good. SWMBO is great with the ideas and has already said the new windows etc will make the skirting look bad. Maybe it's a mid 50's age thing? I know I won't get away without this becoming a whole house revamp. :surrender: That's OK though. :D

When I saw the Tg cut through today and the guy went through what went into it I realised it was a quality of life investment odd though that may read.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Well worth thinking about openers, where they currently are. Do we want to mimic that in the re iteration? So far we are removing three openers and adjusting widths of some while keeping an eye on escape routes in case of fire.

More glass, more view and external visual balance.

I'm also surprised at how few triple glazing companies there are out there. A worrying number of companies when clicked through to are shutdown.

Made me think about the longevity and stability of companies and ensuring we get from deposit to build in one piece.

So far I've only found one glazing company who cover the basics as I expect them to be. :roll:

For the ashp, I'm going to go with one of our members recommended outfits.

Names in the hat so far are

Thistle home improvements
Aberdeen air source heating

Edit - Anglian windows quoting Sunday afternoon. A nice voice call after an online enquiry. They're doing well so far.

Everest - failed, wanted to do a teams conference call and i measure the windows. :lol:
CR Smith - failed, online appointment booked then phoned to say not available, would I change. Why have an online appointment system?
Bon Accord Glass - failed, replied to online request then no contact for appointment. Reviews of Bon Accord aren't great and I can be bothered with the old skool glazing sales tactics they are said to utilise.

I have a quite restrictive 24 hr policy for response. No disasters so far in home improvements so works well for us. its a first rough filter so to speak.

Also been in touch with a mob called Glassworx as they supply Internorm windows. Although as i'm not going for a passivhaus retrofit they are likely outside my req's.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
AGT

Post by AGT »

https://www.sidey.co.uk/homeowner/home/

Big in Tayside and Perth
They manufacturer their own windows..
If nothing else it’s another website to check out for ideas/info
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

AGT wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 10:05 am https://www.sidey.co.uk/homeowner/home/

Big in Tayside and Perth
They manufacturer their own windows..
If nothing else it’s another website to check out for ideas/info
Thank you for the thought. Sadly they stop at double glazing. :cry:

It really is quite a small pool to choose from if you want to keep as close as possible to a single company throughout the chain. Especially in triple or even quad glazing.

Then reading the online customer reviews for any of them! :o
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
AGT

Post by AGT »

Sub forum on windows and doors

https://forum.buildhub.org.uk/forum/142 ... s-glazing/

1st post by Craig worth a read
Thebeeman

Post by Thebeeman »

Joeboy wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 7:57 am Edit - Anglian windows quoting Sunday afternoon. A nice voice call after an online enquiry. They're doing well so far.

Everest - failed, wanted to do a teams conference call and i measure the windows. :lol:
I'm fairly sure Everest are in administration at present, again. Anglian have been tasked with fulfilling current orders.