ASHP & triple glazing

Air source, ground source and associated systems for heating homes
AlBargey

Re: ASHP & triple glazing

Post by AlBargey »

Sorry it's other end of the UK but these folks are local to me (just down the river) and our boat neighbour got some very good prices on triple glazed skylights in upstands for his barge, (We're talking hundreds rather than thousands ££ per unit) Ideally you would want to see the frames and construction details for yourself, maybe their Leeds branch is doable? You'll probably also have to do some measuring as they're more a manufacturer than one stop glazing salesman's outfit.

https://tripleseal.co.uk/

*Edit - Did you look at Velfac suppliers, they make nice windows with wood / aluminium frames in 3g to high standards.
38m Barge, Solar (10.6 kWp), 26 kWh of LFP, Victron Quattro 8 kVA, CerboGX, 3,500L STP, 57kVa Perkins
Our live data: https://vrm.victronenergy.com/installat ... e/c76c4bf6
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

AlBargey wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 9:51 pm Sorry it's other end of the UK but these folks are local to me (just down the river) and our boat neighbour got some very good prices on triple glazed skylights in upstands for his barge, (We're talking hundreds rather than thousands ££ per unit) Ideally you would want to see the frames and construction details for yourself, maybe their Leeds branch is doable? You'll probably also have to do some measuring as they're more a manufacturer than one stop glazing salesman's outfit.

https://tripleseal.co.uk/

*Edit - Did you look at Velfac suppliers, they make nice windows with wood / aluminium frames in 3g to high standards.
Thanks Al, that opens up the possibilities to include our sourcing the units and arranging installation up here. Leeds to.Hull is not so far and we'll.be passing in a little over a week.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
AGT

Post by AGT »

I’ve had all my windows from https://www.bereco.co.uk/timber-windows
First lot 19 years ago, second lot 6 years ago, no issues but will require maintenance due to being wood
And fitted them with a joiner on a day rate
Fueltheburn

Post by Fueltheburn »

Joeboy wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 8:13 pm One less sales twonk to deal with. 2 calls from Anglian windows today to confirm appointment at our home tomorrow (apparently). Then this drops in this evening....

I do like that they self clear the decks for me rather than my having to suss them out. :)

Fucken teams meeting to view my home :teapot:

Why not be more direct in saying how you don't give a 🤔 ?

The beauty is for me "how to measure advice"! I'll stop now, NOT an Anglian or Everest fan. :lol:

Thistle by dint of being human basic have held first position with literally no effort beyond saying hello and shaking my hand. Something is being lost here.

As SWMBO says "No 25k for YOU laddie". :lol:

Love your response. Maybe send a link to this page to ensure they know why they have failed.
Remote working does not work when you can't be arsed to move yourself from behind a computer to get basic and important understanding/measurements of something which is actually worth "x" amount.
Terrible attitude from them.
3kW FIT Solar
0.8kW balcony solar.
2,372 W of turbine at Whitelaw Brae
6kw Panasonic air to air heat pump for downstairs.
2 WBS. Stovax 8kw and 5kw Morso squirrel
Rointe D series in 2 bedrooms and bathroom.
Aiming to go fully electric....
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Fueltheburn wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 12:52 pm
Joeboy wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 8:13 pm One less sales twonk to deal with. 2 calls from Anglian windows today to confirm appointment at our home tomorrow (apparently). Then this drops in this evening....

I do like that they self clear the decks for me rather than my having to suss them out. :)

Fucken teams meeting to view my home :teapot:

Why not be more direct in saying how you don't give a 🤔 ?

The beauty is for me "how to measure advice"! I'll stop now, NOT an Anglian or Everest fan. :lol:

Thistle by dint of being human basic have held first position with literally no effort beyond saying hello and shaking my hand. Something is being lost here.

As SWMBO says "No 25k for YOU laddie". :lol:

Love your response. Maybe send a link to this page to ensure they know why they have failed.
Remote working does not work when you can't be arsed to move yourself from behind a computer to get basic and important understanding/measurements of something which is actually worth "x" amount.
Terrible attitude from them.
They had spoken twice to me yesterday about the Sunday visit. Not once did they mention it was virtual, then the mail drops in late in the day as if its all great... That's slimey and nefarious and not to be tolerated in any form.

Spent a little time messing about today (during Anglian/Everests appointment time) with my tape measure and getting direct online 3g diy quotes. There's no way i'd be able to deal with the size of these 3g units on my own so i'll defo go to the pro's. Nonetheless and just for self calibration it was good to do and it looks like a couple of hundred quid for a small fixed glazing unit and about £600 or so for a big window with side opener when bought online.

On a very rough first pass
and being at the minimumn spec for 3g
and coming up against maximum size restrictions
and excluding the velux x 3 for the moment
and a very rough pass on doors we're looking at

£5,500 for windows online
£3,500 for doors online

I'm going for 22k incl veluxes and doors at a spec we are happy with :xx:

Even had a look at argon v's krypton gas filled! :shock:

You should have a look at that, mental.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Mart

Post by Mart »

Joeboy wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 1:34 pm
Even had a look at argon v's krypton gas filled! :shock:

You should have a look at that, mental.
Is that the latest Avengers film?

What are the thoughts on here about DG v's TG for south facing windows? Our house is E/W, and I've even read that maybe west side should be DG, whilst east side TG.
8.7kWp PV [2.12kWp SSW + 4.61kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV]
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
20kWh Battery storage.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

CR Smith made a comeback. Got home this morning and brochures had been.posted to us plus a follow up text this evening confirming time for gasp, shock,.... a real person coming to the house tomorrow! :o

I took a few temp readings tonight to confirm losses via dg components against a known kingspan insulated wall. Will post tomorrow.

https://sunluxroofwindows.co.uk/blog/wh ... yBY0QOL755

I had no idea how complex the series of choices could be for a window and it's fitment.

Thanks to the forum i now know to ask about how they fit 3g. So far it looks like Sigma tape on the inside to isolate errant air and low expansion expanding foam on the outside to airseal and minimise thermal bridging. Although the house will never be air tight to a high value it makes sense to have all those linear metres sealed and taped. Any further experience on this appreciated.

So far we have got

CR Smith quoting Monday (Today)
Thistle Tuesday
Bon Accord Wednesday

Advanced group in East Kilbride quoting off drawings (I gave in). At least i've now got a pdf that makes some sense.

Pinefield glass in Elgin, waiting to hear back.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Joe

We've been considering getting 3G windows to at least replace those on the North face of the house and have been following this thread with interest.
I had a look at Velfac as mentioned by Albargey and see that they have a Scottish distributor and they have a showroom at Sauchen and a couple of local approved installers, they do both Velfac and Rationel.
Thinking of heading there this afternoon.
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Fintray wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 11:22 am Joe

We've been considering getting 3G windows to at least replace those on the North face of the house and have been following this thread with interest.
I had a look at Velfac as mentioned by Albargey and see that they have a Scottish distributor and they have a showroom at Sauchen and a couple of local approved installers, they do both Velfac and Rationel.
Thinking of heading there this afternoon.
Good call, I'll be interested to hear the outcome. Currently filling in energy trust paperwork and juggling wee jobs for SWMBO so i dont get shouted at! I hope its an enlightening day for you! :xx:
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Iain

CR Smith quoting with site visit Monday (Today)
Thistle Tuesday
Pinefield glass Elgin Wednesday
Bon Accord Thursday
KSM Aberdeen to revert.

Advanced group in East Kilbride quoting off drawings (I gave in). At least i've now got a pdf that makes some sense.

As are Caledonian doors from Coatbridge. Deliberately wanting 3 quotes from outside the oil bubble.
3 Aberdeen
1 National
1 Highland
2 Glasgow

6 quotes should give me a respectable slew to compare and after that we'll refine on quality and installation style. I don't want DG installers chucking in 3g.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs