Where am I ?

If there is a foul wind a blowin' then drop by for a chat - about coconuts of anything else off topic.
AE-NMidlands

Re: Where am I ?

Post by AE-NMidlands »

I hope you are far enough north to avoid the flooding, https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c5yjjqyv84eo says (in the forecast video) watch out for the water draining north too...
Good luck!
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
nowty

Post by nowty »

Today had an action packed day. ;)

SWMBO wanted to go to Sobibor as she read about the large escape from it in a book as a teenager. I did say to her, “Are you sure as it’s a bit close to the Ukrainian border”, but she insisted much to her daughter's great objection. There is no concentration camp there as it was all destroyed by the retreating Nazis, but there is a museum so I agreed and as I’m game for adventures I noticed the Poland / Ukraine / Belarus border tri point was close to it. So this has been the target location for the whole EV trip. We are staying in Okuninka by Lake Jezioro Biale about 5km from the tri point which is also separated by the Bug River. :twisted:

The Sobibor museum is closed on Mondays so we asked the hotel manager about any particular restrictions from visiting the tri point. He was a bit vague on latest rules but said you just park there and walk the last 2km on a hiking trail. We got to the tri point on the Polish side of the Bug River and were immediately detained by two heavily armed border Polish border guards shouting at us in Polish. Apparently you need to register with the border guards, take your passports with you, there is a load of rules and I think the tri point is a definite no no. :fight:

After about half an hour the military police turned up, also heavily armed, then there were a lot of questions, a lot of paperwork, a lot of telephone calls, followed by being taken back to our hotel to retrieve our passports, then taken to the police station in Wlodawa to verify our passports. We then had to sign that we understood all the immigration rules and not attempt to visit the tri point again. After about 3 hours in all we were taken back to our car.

No pictures I’m afraid, apart from a red squirrel earlier in the day, but Poland / Belarus / Ukraine Tri point done. :xx:
Last edited by nowty on Mon Sep 16, 2024 6:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
nowty

Post by nowty »

AE-NMidlands wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 6:22 pm I hope you are far enough north to avoid the flooding, https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c5yjjqyv84eo says (in the forecast video) watch out for the water draining north too...
Good luck!
A
When we left from near Krakow yesterday all we could hear was sirens south of us, we were getting emergency flood warnings on our mobiles and several rivers we drove over were very swollen. It’s fine were we are now, even the Bug River looked like you could almost walk across it.

Edit- Budapest is next on our list in a few days time but just read the water levels are rising there a metre every 24 hours so we may have to alter our travel plans.
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
chris_n

Post by chris_n »

nowty wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 6:46 pm
AE-NMidlands wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 6:22 pm I hope you are far enough north to avoid the flooding, https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c5yjjqyv84eo says (in the forecast video) watch out for the water draining north too...
Good luck!
A
When we left from near Krakow yesterday all we could hear was sirens south of us, we were getting emergency flood warnings on our mobiles and several rivers we drove over were very swollen. It’s fine were we are now, even the Bug River looked like you could almost walk across it.

Edit- Budapest is next on our list in a few days time but just read the water levels are rising there a metre every 24 hours so we may have to alter our travel plans.
Once the rain stops tomorrow the temperature in Austria rises significantly which will trigger a lot of snowmelt just to keep the levels in the Danube topped up ;)
Living the dream in Austria.
Uk property 3.75kW PV linked to 3kW inverter.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 6:40 pm Today had an action packed day. ;)

SWMBO wanted to go to Sobibor as she read about the large escape from it in a book as a teenager. I did say to her, “Are you sure as it’s a bit close to the Ukrainian border”, but she insisted much to her daughter's great objection. There is no concentration camp there as it was all destroyed by the retreating Nazis, but there is a museum so I agreed and as I’m game for adventures I noticed the Poland / Ukraine / Belarus border tri point was close to it. So this has been the target location for the whole EV trip. We are staying in Okuninka by Lake Jezioro Biale about 5km from the tri point which is also separated by the Bug River. :twisted:

The Sobibor museum is closed on Mondays so we asked the hotel manager about any particular restrictions from visiting the tri point. He was a bit vague on latest rules but said you just park there and walk the last 2km on a hiking trail. We got to the tri point on the Polish side of the Bug River and were immediately detained by two heavily armed border Polish border guards shouting at us in Polish. Apparently you need to register with the border guards, take your passports with you, there is a load of rules and I think the tri point is a definite no no. :fight:

After about half an hour the military police turned up, also heavily armed, then there were a lot of questions, a lot of paperwork, a lot of telephone calls, followed by being taken back to our hotel to retrieve our passports, then taken to the police station in Wlodawa to verify our passports. We then had to sign that we understood all the immigration rules and not attempt to visit the tri point again. After about 3 hours in all we were taken back to our car.

No pictures I’m afraid, apart from a red squirrel earlier in the day, but Poland / Belarus / Ukraine Tri point done. :xx:
Mentalist! Well done. :twisted: We are off over next Monday. I hope my own tri point tween Holland, Germany & France goes a little easier.

Glad you're OK though!

P.S that's not a red squirrel, that's a rat in drag. :lol:
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

"P.S that's not a red squirrel, that's a rat in drag. :lol:"

OR maybe it was a Polish border guard in disguise, keeping tabs on suspicious holidaymakers asking about the tri point ?????????? :on-patrol:

:whistle:

:hysteria:

Moxi
nowty

Post by nowty »

End of the line at Sobibor today, thats about as far east as my EV is ever likely to go.

Loverly new museum but not many venture this way east anymore.

Now we have a dilemma, we need to return to daughter in Lugano (southern tip of Switzerland) on 25th Sept and the original plan was to head south through Slovakia, Hungary, etc, but every way I’ve looked we risk the central euro flood, especially the Danube which is still rising. Now thinking of heading back west into Germany. Warsaw, then Berlin, then south to Dresden if the flood risk there is past, then Stuttgart.
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Yuff

Post by Yuff »

Have to say it’s an impressive road trip :mrgreen:
Mitsubishi Ecodan
ASHP 8.5kW x 2
12 x 460w Solar panels
9.5kWh GivEnergy
Batteries x 2
EVs x 4 210 kWh Batteries
Ripple 5.8 kW PV 0.547 kW Whitelaw Brae
nowty

Post by nowty »

Charge No 15 at Lublin again before moving on to Warsaw.
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2024 1:32 pm Charge No 15 at Lublin again before moving on to Warsaw.
We'll be in Rotterdam Tuesday afternoon?
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees