ASHP & triple glazing

Air source, ground source and associated systems for heating homes
Joeboy

Re: ASHP & triple glazing

Post by Joeboy »

Andy wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 4:10 pm
Joeboy wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 4:09 pm
Andy wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 4:07 pm Any fancy gases or reflective layers on the glass?
Opti on outer and inner, one to let solar in and t'other to keep heat in. Middle being float. All Pilkington Did you go for similar?

Argon only
There wasn't really a choice. Triple glazing or double glazing with noise reduction. I was really hamstrung by a complete lack of money and went for the cheapest :P
No worries! :lol: I did the same when fitting the original DG, as I was in the middle of building the things both times I went for el cheapo arches sourced gear.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Andy

Post by Andy »

The one thing that surprised me in the process was how difficult it was to get thermal performance out of the companies. I had to ask very explicitly for it.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Andy wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 4:14 pm The one thing that surprised me in the process was how difficult it was to get thermal performance out of the companies. I had to ask very explicitly for it.
I did that too. Anything around 1.0 will do me considering the windows I have started at 2.7 or 2.8 maybe... on day 1.... 15 years in now.

Check the difference, the more i look, the more i see. I want to give to job to the Aberdeen mob but can't at £32.5k. The quality of gear is absolutely outstanding as is the vertical integration. I'll play a longer game, he who moves first loses. 8-)

42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

A quick comparison chart.if anyone needs. Just shows that the 2g has come on a lot since we last bought.

42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Andy

Post by Andy »

That’s why my new shed won’t have windows. Just really bright lights:)
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

I've got two on the go who both seem to do highend product. I then went onto trustpilot and one of them is absolutely slated.

Anyone have experience with Thistle home improvements Aberdeen or the Advanced group East Kilbride?

The price difference is £32.5k (first pass) and £25k (second refinement pass) on the quotes.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Krill

Post by Krill »

Joeboy, no comment on the individuals or companies involv,ed but as a sense check, what is the cost of going wit double glazing again? Because at those prices I wonder if it's really worth it for triple glazing (plus the general case of "is it simply more cost effective to throw up a pergola for more solar panels, sell the generation and use that to pay for heating"? I know this doesn't apply to you here, but £32 grand is alot, it's half a house in some cities).
Solar PV: 6.4kW solar PV (Eurener MEPV 400W*16)
PV Inverter: Solis 6kW inverter
Batteries: 14.4kWh LiFePO4 batteries (Pylontech US5000*3)
Battery Inverter: LuxPowertek 3600 ACS*2 battery inverter
WBS: 8kW Hunter Avalon 6 Multifuel burner (wood only)
Andy

Post by Andy »

Krill wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 8:37 pm Joeboy, no comment on the individuals or companies involv,ed but as a sense check, what is the cost of going wit double glazing again? Because at those prices I wonder if it's really worth it for triple glazing (plus the general case of "is it simply more cost effective to throw up a pergola for more solar panels, sell the generation and use that to pay for heating"? I know this doesn't apply to you here, but £32 grand is alot, it's half a house in some cities).
It's funny you say that. I worked out an hour ago that going from the double glazing to triple glazing with 10 windows in our place might save £3000 over 20 years. I looked at the same calculations when I got our first half of triple glazing. There was a long pay back, but there is the added comfort in the mean time as there are fewer draughty breezes.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Andy wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 8:39 pm
Krill wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 8:37 pm Joeboy, no comment on the individuals or companies involv,ed but as a sense check, what is the cost of going wit double glazing again? Because at those prices I wonder if it's really worth it for triple glazing (plus the general case of "is it simply more cost effective to throw up a pergola for more solar panels, sell the generation and use that to pay for heating"? I know this doesn't apply to you here, but £32 grand is alot, it's half a house in some cities).
It's funny you say that. I worked out an hour ago that going from the double glazing to triple glazing with 10 windows in our place might save £3000 over 20 years. I looked at the same calculations when I got our first half of triple glazing. There was a long pay back, but there is the added comfort in the mean time as there are fewer draughty breezes.
You both make good points. To be honest, I'm doing it fully at 3g level so I don't have to ever think about it again. We've got SO much glazing area on this house that it makes sense to me to lock in the maximum gains now which will hopefully increase qol for us as we age. It gets nippy up here!

The money side of things dare I say it doesn't really matter that much (beyond not getting ripped off for inferior gear). Simply put, I'd rather have 3g and an ashp than a 911 and a bad hip. :D

Might as well spend some of my 25% tax free pension money on something with longterm benefits?

The odds favour me doing 25k on this part of the job but that IS 14 windows and four doors at a high spec. Not Danish style high (45k) but high enough for the build fabric as is now. Mildly terrifying tbh but there we go.

The other side is that we've spent quite a lot of time and effort over the years insulating and gap chasing. Had strong progress but not quite where I'd hope to have got to. 3g should draw a line under that and send us quite a bit further down the path to many more neutral heating days . :twisted:

It is a huge amount of 💰 but as I've always said before my best and worst moments "Ah, f**k it, let's go"! :facepalm:

25sq mtrs of glazing and God knows how many linear mtrs of window frame edge...

I'll make sure all the remedial expanding foam.and taping that can be done is done at the same time as well as any insulation needed when the internal windowsills are removed.

Countrypaul kindly mentioned a tape he used internally on his renovation, I aim to follow that advice.

https://airtightnesstapes.co.uk/products/corvum-12-48

This foam seems well respected.
https://www.sealantsonline.co.uk/Produc ... rs/TRE5025

I'll keep reading and see what other info/advice I find.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Krill

Post by Krill »

Hey, sometimes it's fun to play devils advocate. :oO:

I get the future proofing point, and ultimately, when putting a cost on good health, most people always underestimate what it takes to fix it. £25 grand, £32 grand, these are nothings in so many respects so 3g makes a lot of sense, especially for Scotland with the harsher weather.

If I put 3g in my house I might die of over heating in summer, but I need to look at new windows in the next few years, all mine were put in about 25 years ago and aren't great, so I'm watching closely how things go fo you :freezing:
Solar PV: 6.4kW solar PV (Eurener MEPV 400W*16)
PV Inverter: Solis 6kW inverter
Batteries: 14.4kWh LiFePO4 batteries (Pylontech US5000*3)
Battery Inverter: LuxPowertek 3600 ACS*2 battery inverter
WBS: 8kW Hunter Avalon 6 Multifuel burner (wood only)