ASHP & triple glazing

Air source, ground source and associated systems for heating homes
Joeboy

Re: ASHP & triple glazing

Post by Joeboy »

cojmh wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2024 10:15 pm Sounds like you have a good handle on that.

I am intending to install the windows myself with my builder, so a lot of companies are just not worth talking to (or interested in talking to me) as they want to do the install too as they make a lot of their money on the labour side of things.

But anyway - learning loads from the thread and watching with interest.
I look forward to seeing the photos. I'd suggest having a look for online suppliers and other industrial estate trade shops that will supply zero 90 frames on the units? Anything less in upvc now that I've seen it would be an unnecessary compromise. I may yet sit down and work out the sqr mtr that the framing accounts for. Just for my own mind. Certainly it will be significantly more than a single patio door set (my new unit of account) worth of area. :D
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

cojmh wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2024 10:15 pm Sounds like you have a good handle on that.

I am intending to install the windows myself with my builder, so a lot of companies are just not worth talking to (or interested in talking to me) as they want to do the install too as they make a lot of their money on the labour side of things.

But anyway - learning loads from the thread and watching with interest.
An acquaintance who was in the windows business said that he was going to replace the windows in a house he was moving into, but was going to borrow one of his old company's vans to put on the run... He explained that as companies doing it have to have FENSA membership and their certification is needed for selling a house within the 10 year guarantee period, it is the practice for firms who spot freelance jobs happening to report them to somebody to get a threatening letter sent, said they called it a "drive-by shooting!"
This may apply only in England, but I wouldn't be surprised - knowing the behaviour of conveyancing "solicitors" who make up excuses to sell insurances: my son had to take an insurance against the council declaring he didn't have the right of way from the road across the pavement to reach his property before they would complete the conveyancing!

So I wouldn't be surprised if it opens up another opportunity for selling insurance policies against unit failures in the absence of a company guarantee (which we know probably aren't worth anything anyway.) I'm going to dig deeper into this as I fitted all of ours over the last 7 years...
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Bon Accord were good. Local company of a good size. Decent gear. 0.8 Uw on their 3g product.

I am SO very glad that first stage is behind us. Next is, decision on who gets it, contract, get it fitted. :shock:

Two companies (Anglian and Advanced) have quoted about the 25k mark. I am hopeful for KSM tomorrow with their price. I did find out that the window supply company only supply the 48mm units although the brochure also quotes 56mm from the manufacturer. Worth remembering if you are going forward with a job? They say 0.7 on the 48mm unit, although the brochure says 0.77 on the 48... I can live with that, its not as precise or transparent as I'd have liked but it'll do. YOU could achieve 0.66 Uw...

42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
resybaby

Post by resybaby »

You can buy indemnity policies for less than £100 to get over the missing Fensa certificates when buying/selling houses.
Our next door neighbour is a conveyencing solicitor, does it all the time.
You can also fit your own windows if you want, nothing to stop you at all, you just have to pay the LA building inspector to come and check them out for compliance. Have fitted more than a few over the years, and seen millions more fitted by 'expert tradesmen' on the building sites over my inspecting years that look more dodgy than a £49 banknote.
4.0kw FIT PV solar Sunnyboy 4000tl & 7 x 570w JA solar panels
7.08kw JA Solar panels & Sunsynk ECCO 3.6kw.
7 x US5000 Pylontechs.
4500l RWH
Full Biomass heating system
iBoost HW divertor
Full house internal walls insulation
600min Loft insulation
cojmh

Post by cojmh »

I looked into the Fensa certificate (and it seems like a scam to justify their membership fees).

As I am doing the windows and doors at the same time as other building work that requires a building inspector - they (the building inspector) has told me that they will sign it off as part of their inspection for the other building work - as long as it is up to scratch, so I don't really need the Fensa certificate.

So I won't be bothering with the certificate - most guarantees for windows seem to be a bit worthless as companies come and go so quickly.

But it is a valid point if not doing it through a building inspector.
resybaby

Post by resybaby »

Neighbours doing exactly the same with her currently ongoing kitchen extension Cojmh, building inspector doing the sign off for the whole job. Makes life so much easier id imagine to just be dealing with the one regime.
4.0kw FIT PV solar Sunnyboy 4000tl & 7 x 570w JA solar panels
7.08kw JA Solar panels & Sunsynk ECCO 3.6kw.
7 x US5000 Pylontechs.
4500l RWH
Full Biomass heating system
iBoost HW divertor
Full house internal walls insulation
600min Loft insulation
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

resybaby wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2024 1:09 pm You can buy indemnity policies for less than £100 to get over the missing Fensa certificates when buying/selling houses.
Our next door neighbour is a conveyencing solicitor, does it all the time.
You can also fit your own windows if you want, nothing to stop you at all, you just have to pay the LA building inspector to come and check them out for compliance. Have fitted more than a few over the years, and seen millions more fitted by 'expert tradesmen' on the building sites over my inspecting years that look more dodgy than a £49 banknote.
Thanks - that's just the sort of informed opinion I was looking for - and fairly sure would be available from somebody here!
Thanks again
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Fintray wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2024 11:12 am
Joeboy wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2024 8:45 am Iain,

Heard back from energy trust.

"Grant funding for energy efficiency improvements is up to 75% of the combined cost of the improvements up to the maximum grant amount of £7,500. Grant funding for a heat pump and biomass is up to £7,500."

That's a mibbee's for both as I read it? :xx: (Hope springs eternal).

Did you get on OK at Sauchen?

If I get the grant for the ashp and go with Advanced group for the 3g and doors that would be 30k from me. I had a mental figure of 40k for both at the start of process.
You should get the grant for the ASHP no problem but dubious for the glazing.

The company ADW at Sauchen did both Rationel and Velfac doors and windows, SWMBO liked the profile of the Velfac windows so I gave them a couple of window sizes both fixed and top guided and a couple of door sizes so I can see what sort of costs they come back with.

Velfac profile:

Thanks Iain,
I think you are right. The energy trust is referring me so I can move onto stage 2 of the grant application process for the ASHP. Robbie the AASH surveyor is booked for 7th Oct at 10am.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
AGT

Post by AGT »

We have used Nordan a few times at work
Livingston manufacturer.
Your own builder fits them?
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

Joe, does your project preclude the use of your existing SH ?

While I can see the neatness of just ASHP heating, I also like the opportunity to stuff the SH on very cheap rate and also take the strain off the ASHP.

Also, do SH and WBS affect your grant application ?

From my perspective, having some form of contingency heating is desirable.

Sorry if this has been discussed in other threads :facepalm:
Last edited by Bugtownboy on Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.