Hello

Introductions

Please introduce yourself. This lets other members know who you are, we try to be a friendly community. It also helps to keep the forum free from spam bots by proving you are human (or at least sentient).
Richard77

Hello

Post by Richard77 »

Hi everyone....

Hope you are all well.

I've been researching for a while and hoping to get 30kwh battery installed soon (still need to purchase) and solar in the future.

If anyone can recommend any installers in and around Merseyside that would be great?

DIY might be a bit too much for me!! :surrender:
Last edited by Richard77 on Thu Sep 19, 2024 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fintray

Re: Hello

Post by Fintray »

Hello Richard and welcome to the forum. :xl:
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
AGT

Post by AGT »

That’s the magic battery figure I’m looking at!

2x15.5kWh fogstar batteries

Welcome to the best place on the internet!
Richard77

Post by Richard77 »

Thanks guys :xl:

AGT wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:36 pm That’s the magic battery figure I’m looking at!

2x15.5kWh fogstar batteries

Welcome to the best place on the internet!
I was looking at something similar. I originally looked at the fogstar's, but I noticed that a few people on here had a good experience ordering from China, so I have been in contact with Colin Deng from the forums to possibly purchase 2x 15kwh and get them shipped over.

If I do go ahead with the plan, I aim to house the batteries in the garage. Unfortunately at the moment there is no electricity supply to the garage, so I have been looking into what cables I need to get fed into the garage from the house consumer unit.

Firstly I would like to take advantage of the off peak rates on octopus to charge the batteries overnight and power the house throughout the day. Would also like to future proof for any future solar panel install and also would be nice to have the ability to export any surplus electricity back to the grid.

I was looking at getting an 8.8kw SunSynk ECCO hybrid inverter and as I said the 2x 15kwh from Colin.

We use around 12000kwh a year. We have an EV and all kitchen appliances are electric. Only use gas for heating and hot water. So could also look to get a heat pump in the future to get rid of gas dependence completely.

Solar panels would be great too in the future, but don't think can afford the outlay at the moment. Might have room to stick a few on the garage, but unsure if it would be worth it.

I have been trying to research as much as I can so I don't make any rash decisions or costly mistakes! Upto my ears in kWh, dno, g99, etc... hehe

It's a shame I can't DIY it all, but in the process of trying to get some installers involved to get the ball rolling.

Apologies in advance for all the questions I can see myself asking!
AGT

Post by AGT »

Yep going for the same inverter and my garage is 30 metre run from the house consumer unit

Had the data sheets for Colin’s 15 kWh battery, afraid although it’s only been a positive experience for everyone I’m reluctant to buy direct

£6500 gets 30 kWh battery and 8 kW inverter which I can self install so thing isn’t too bad.

Just doing cabling at the moment
Richard77

Post by Richard77 »

Fortunately, my garage is only 1.6m from house. About 6m from the main supply/consumer unit.

I was thinking only needed 2x lengths of SWA 10mm² 3core. 1 to connect consumer unit from house to new consumer unit in garage. The other in case wanted to connect the inverter back to the consumer unit in case of a power cut to power the house.

Also 3 lengths of shielded cat6. 1 for CT clamp from inverter to main supply and the other 2 to not have to rely on WiFi in the garage.

I was going to try and get this installed by electrician who done our house, unfortunately he's got no experience of battery/solar/inverters, etc. He would put all the cables in, consumer unit, lights, sockets, etc.

Would then need to get the battery/solar installer to sort the batteries and inverter out. Unsure if can get MCS certified if the installer doesn't do the whole thing? Also, unsure if can go ahead with installation without getting G99 due to the inverter and battery being bigger than 3.68kw?

Do the cables seem ok from house to garage?
AGT

Post by AGT »

You might also need earth rod connection for UPS circuit
Richard77

Post by Richard77 »

AGT wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2024 11:45 pm You might also need earth rod connection for UPS circuit
Thanks... I assumed that it would use the existing house earth?

No idea really... Hehe
chris_n

Post by chris_n »

Richard77 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:56 am
AGT wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2024 11:45 pm You might also need earth rod connection for UPS circuit

No idea really... Hehe
Your house is often earthed via the neutral of the supply, if you lose your supply you may well lose your earth as well.
Living the dream in Austria.
Uk property 3.75kW PV linked to 3kW inverter.
Richard77

Post by Richard77 »

chris_n wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am
Richard77 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:56 am

No idea really... Hehe
Your house is often earthed via the neutral of the supply, if you lose your supply you may well lose your earth as well.
I see... Thanks.

Hopefully, if I can find an installer they will ensure everything that is required is put in.