Sunsynk parallel connection - half on grid half off grid - possible?

richbee

Re: Sunsynk parallel connection - half on grid half off grid - possible?

Post by richbee »

Silverwings wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2024 3:59 pm Tinbum - that's a very valid point. Would the BMS not limit the charge though? I guess in the event of wanting to use the generator I could make sure the grid tied charge was turned off. It also begs the question if the grid tied inverter could still use the batteries whilst the off grid side charges?

resybaby - thanks. The only issue with the aux/load port is that it will be used for the microinverters. Plus the generator will not be synced with the hz on the grid side, hence the reason for an offgrid parallel setup.

AGT - good point, I wonder if it really matter if the inverters are matched?
For the microinverters, do you really need to connect them to the Aux port?
I have got a Hoymiles microinverter, which is AC coupled - ie. just connected to the concsmer unit separately, with no physical connection to the Sunsynk, and with the microinverter setting switched on, my Sunsynk 3.6 is quite happy to use the microinverter PV to charge the battery and / or to export - the microinverter doesn't have a CT coil, so all the export is controlled by the Sunsynk CT coil readings. Keith from Sunsynk did a video about it a while ago, which confirmed that it is possible and acceptable
Solar PV since July '22:
5.6kWp east/west facing
3.6kW Sunsynk hybrid inverter
2x 5.12kWh Sunsynk batteries
1.6kWp Hoymiles East/West facing PV on the man cave
Ripple DW 2kW
Ripple WB 200W
Silverwings

Post by Silverwings »

Hi Richbee.

I guess that's a good option, I just wanted to see what my microinverter panels were producing.

That would free up the aux/generator port, but I wouldn't be able to run a dirty generator without turning off the grid if my understanding is correct. Is the aux port not grid tied?
richbee

Post by richbee »

Silverwings wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 5:17 pm Hi Richbee.

I guess that's a good option, I just wanted to see what my microinverter panels were producing.

That would free up the aux/generator port, but I wouldn't be able to run a dirty generator without turning off the grid if my understanding is correct. Is the aux port not grid tied?
I don't actually know, but there is the option to pick charge from Grid or from Gen on the System mode screen, so it seems pointless to have a Gen charge option if it won't work when the grid is down?
Solar PV since July '22:
5.6kWp east/west facing
Ripple DW 2kW
Ripple WB 200W
richbee

Post by richbee »

richbee wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2024 9:26 am
Silverwings wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 5:17 pm Hi Richbee.

I don't actually know, but there is the option to pick charge from Grid or from Gen on the System mode screen, so it seems pointless to have a Gen charge option if it won't work when the grid is down?
In terms of finding out what my microinverter panels are producing, I installed a Ketotek power meter with wifi connection, so I can get data from the app
https://www.amazon.co.uk/KETOTEK-Electr ... C85&sr=8-9
Solar PV since July '22:
5.6kWp east/west facing
Ripple DW 2kW
Ripple WB 200W