BEV charger questions

All things related to vehicles - EVs, transport, fuels
Moxi

Re: BEV charger questions

Post by Moxi »

Jinx I’m inclined to agree with your suggestion that Zappi’s aren’t the most reliable- it’s certainly got me thinking of my options.

Moxi
Jinx

Post by Jinx »

Moxi wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2024 8:14 pm Jinx I’m inclined to agree with your suggestion that Zappi’s aren’t the most reliable- it’s certainly got me thinking of my options.

Moxi
Highly likely you would have no problem and be very happy but it is worth considering when choosing I think. Look forward to hearing what you decide.
smegal

Post by smegal »

Look at the late model hypervolt. The late model is Octopus intelligent compatible. I'm still hoping my V2 will be in the not too distant future.
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

smegal wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2024 9:16 pm Look at the late model hypervolt. The late model is Octopus intelligent compatible. I'm still hoping my V2 will be in the not too distant future.
Yes the Hypervolt 3 Pro looks like it does the job, checked it on the Octopus website along side the EV6 and its a matched pair and suitable for IOG, I put an enquiry in with my preferred local supplier last night to see if they would quite me for an install, lets see if they are up to the task of a slightly non standard install ?

Moxi
Mart

Post by Mart »

Apologies if this has been mentioned, but my skim read this morning noticed quite a few mentions of Zappi (or similar). Not in any way knocking the tech nor idea, and the same for water heater diversion switches, but ....... if anyone has a battery, or will be getting one in the future, then is the technology needed?

The diversion devices avoid export of spare PV, a great idea, but if the battery is catching that excess, then you can charge the car, water tank, or A2A unit from the battery (buffer)?

Hope that makes sense.
8.7kWp PV [2.12kWp SSW + 4.61kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV]
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
20kWh Battery storage.
Yuff

Post by Yuff »

Mart wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2024 8:45 am Apologies if this has been mentioned, but my skim read this morning noticed quite a few mentions of Zappi (or similar). Not in any way knocking the tech nor idea, and the same for water heater diversion switches, but ....... if anyone has a battery, or will be getting one in the future, then is the technology needed?

The diversion devices avoid export of spare PV, a great idea, but if the battery is catching that excess, then you can charge the car, water tank, or A2A unit from the battery (buffer)?

Hope that makes sense.
IOG currently negates that, as most on here export at 15p and charge at 7p.
So any spare solar most would want to get the export rate.
Whilst IOG is generous with off peak schedules that seems the best solution at the moment. :xx:
Mitsubishi Ecodan
ASHP 8.5kW x 2
12 x 460w Solar panels
9.5kWh GivEnergy
Batteries x 2
EVs x 4 210 kWh Batteries
Ripple 5.8 kW PV 0.547 kW Whitelaw Brae
HML

Post by HML »

The round trip efficiency of batteries is only about 80-90% so you lose a lot by going through a battery system.

Very few people will have a battery system with the capacity to charge an EV.
Mart

Post by Mart »

Yuff wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2024 9:07 am
Mart wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2024 8:45 am Apologies if this has been mentioned, but my skim read this morning noticed quite a few mentions of Zappi (or similar). Not in any way knocking the tech nor idea, and the same for water heater diversion switches, but ....... if anyone has a battery, or will be getting one in the future, then is the technology needed?

Hope that makes sense.
IOG currently negates that, as most on here export at 15p and charge at 7p.
So any spare solar most would want to get the export rate.
Whilst IOG is generous with off peak schedules that seems the best solution at the moment. :xx:
Totally agree, I was addressing the diverter switch/charger issue. For those as you describe, you'd export all excess, and charge at night on cheap rate.

Edit - Just double checked and the OP does have home batts.
Last edited by Mart on Mon Oct 14, 2024 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
20kWh Battery storage.
Mart

Post by Mart »

HML wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2024 9:09 am The round trip efficiency of batteries is only about 80-90% so you lose a lot by going through a battery system.

Very few people will have a battery system with the capacity to charge an EV.
Totally agree, I was addressing the diverter switch/charger issue. I thought the idea behind them was to only charge from excess PV. So a battery (buffering) allows for low rate charging (such as granny charging) during these excess periods, but without the need for the diverter switch. [Also, don't the BEV chargers have a minimum charge rate, so a diverter may cut off at say 1kW, and export excess, whereas a battery could buffer that excess, and be run when it has built up an adequate amount.]

The same for HW tank, rather than diverting excess, you can wait till the battery has a suitable buffer, then charge the tank at say 1kW.
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
20kWh Battery storage.
smegal

Post by smegal »

Moxi wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2024 8:09 am
smegal wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2024 9:16 pm Look at the late model hypervolt. The late model is Octopus intelligent compatible. I'm still hoping my V2 will be in the not too distant future.
Yes the Hypervolt 3 Pro looks like it does the job, checked it on the Octopus website along side the EV6 and its a matched pair and suitable for IOG, I put an enquiry in with my preferred local supplier last night to see if they would quite me for an install, lets see if they are up to the task of a slightly non standard install ?

Moxi
I've generally been critical of Hypervolt, it's irritating that my V2 isn't compatible *yet*, but we've had it since feb 22 and apart from a few software issues at the start which were resolved quickly, it's been fine.

Hypervolt are also one of the better looking units if you're into that sort of thing.

My only advice is get a longer cable than the basic 5m. The 7.5m means that you can charge a car parked in any possible configuration on our drive. a 5m would be more sensitive.