ASHP & triple glazing

Air source, ground source and associated systems for heating homes
AGT

Re: ASHP & triple glazing

Post by AGT »

Depends on how easy it is to move stuff about, I would recommend boxing up ornaments etc moving stuff to garage/outhouse as things can easily be damaged when using dust sheets…makes it easy to move furniture too.
Anything that makes their job easier will be benefit to you.

If you also say I might go and sleep at sons/bongo, the benefit of this is that they might not to spend an hour at night loosely putting floor boards back, water on etc.. Friday might be snagging/insulation/ final tidy up

Used to manage occupied rewire/central heating upgrades in occupied council houses 20/25 years ago so got a bit of experience in this….
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

AGT wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2024 10:41 am Depends on how easy it is to move stuff about, I would recommend boxing up ornaments etc moving stuff to garage/outhouse as things can easily be damaged when using dust sheets…makes it easy to move furniture too.
Anything that makes their job easier will be benefit to you.

If you also say I might go and sleep at sons/bongo, the benefit of this is that they might not to spend an hour at night loosely putting floor boards back, water on etc.. Friday might be snagging/insulation/ final tidy up

Used to manage occupied rewire/central heating upgrades in occupied council houses 20/25 years ago so got a bit of experience in this….
All great ideas, thank you. Just finished clearing the loft for access. 590mm between rafters where the new cylinder will be sited. Overgarage loft to be cleared tomorrow for primary pipe runs. I'll be doing some remedial insulation in loft once it's all done. Just to cover any exposed insulation cracks and rework any pipe insulation. I've asked that they check the ground floor underfloor pipes and carry out any remedial pipe insulation required while they're under there. Extra on top of quote but I won't ever be under there so might as well.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Took a bit of time to fit a Europlast 100mm Series X Model Extra dehumidistat fan today. Pig of a job as it replaced a 6" fan and there was no permenant live.

I've got it roughed in (and I do mean rough) for testing but i'm not impressed. Here's my mail to the manufacturer. It will give you an idea. :D

"Hi,

I bought a Europlast 100mm fan with dehumidistat (series X) from Amazon uk. I have wired it as per the the stamp on the plastic shroud and as per this pic.

Terminal closest to fan switched live
Centre terminal Neutral
Terminal closest to unit edge Permanant live

The back of the manual shows different wiring. Which is right? Also, the red led flashing, what does that signify?

The timing and humidistat pots i've tried them both fully anti clockwise and also clockwise. The fan keeps running and has not switched off. I can accept it may be the humidistat function but the rest of my house is under 60% humidity. Any help much appreciated.

Thanks"

I ran another dehumidifer in there and sure enough it shutdown so maybe i'll have to give it some time to adapt?
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Joeboy wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 4:34 pm Took a bit of time to fit a Europlast 100mm Series X Model Extra dehumidistat fan today. Pig of a job as it replaced a 6" fan and there was no permenant live.

I've got it roughed in (and I do mean rough) for testing but i'm not impressed. Here's my mail to the manufacturer. It will give you an idea. :D

"Hi,

I bought a Europlast 100mm fan with dehumidistat (series X) from Amazon uk. I have wired it as per the the stamp on the plastic shroud and as per this pic.

Terminal closest to fan switched live
Centre terminal Neutral
Terminal closest to unit edge Permanant live

The back of the manual shows different wiring. Which is right? Also, the red led flashing, what does that signify?

The timing and humidistat pots i've tried them both fully anti clockwise and also clockwise. The fan keeps running and has not switched off. I can accept it may be the humidistat function but the rest of my house is under 60% humidity. Any help much appreciated.

Thanks"

I ran another dehumidifer in there and sure enough it shutdown so maybe i'll have to give it some time to adapt?

With hindsight the humidistat might be messing up my id'ing the timer direction on the pot, same with the dehumidistat setting. I'll be able to mess about more tomorrow once the polyfilla is set properly.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

The shutter humidistat fan is a mere aside, although the shutter IS effective, defo a breeze blowing in there when i was working at it. If its still a bit iffy tomorrow once i'm up and at it i'll return it and buy a better quality unit (any advice in the 100mm aisle appreciated)?

The good news today is that we are grant approved for the ASHP , woohoo! :D

We also changed out an over garage incandescent flood for a LED unit and a side access solar powered pir light was installed. :ugeek:

Old crap
New hotness
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Just a quick note on the 100mm shutter extractor fan that replaced the 150mm unshuttered unit. I did not notice any excess air circulation coming into the bathroom on the back of hand at 150mm fan but the room was always 'porcelain cool' when I went in, unless the gch was on which it hasn't been for a year and a half.

I'm up at half one getting a jump on the run test so I can bin the unit and replace if not shutting down in a decent time. I have noticed though that the bathroom is noticeably warmer with the 100mm shutter unit in place as is the cloakroom with a backdraft extractor fan now fitted( also unheated).

It does make me wonder at how the 4" to 6" change in size can mask the airflow to skin feel and also that these shutter fans can have such an impact in an ambient room? Anyone else noticed this? It then leads me onto the heat loss calc for ashp. These were definitely not in the calc yet have had an impact, no doubt.

One to add to the list for anyone air tightening their home?

I'm running two cycles on the fan at the moment with the trim pots maxxed out in both directions. If i don't see a timer shutdown difference on this test, back the unit goes and i'll buy the expensive vent axia unit. I can see the benefit of a shuttered unit but also now realise I should likely pay more for the main bathroom unit! :facepalm:

I've also got a standalone dehumidifier sitting at 50% so that side of things shouldn't mess up the test. :whistle:

Edit- I've got the humidistat operating but again the booklet is rubbish. Its shows pot turn clockwise is an increase on the humidistat, although it doesn't say whether that increase is to raise or lower the humidity. Clockwise on the trim pot is marked as negative on the pot itself which increases the room humidity threshhold (doesn't kick in so fast). First try at timer side and it is set to run 30 minutes, that's with trim pot fully clockwise.

Sure enough, timer trim pot turned all the way anti clockwise and it shut off in 1 min.

To summarise
Left hand trim pot is timer, clockwise increases runtime
Right hand trim pot is humidistat, clockwise decreases humidity sensitivity (lowers run time).

Ambient humidity WILL mess with you when setting one of these up, especially if the manual is .....unclear. :D

Apart from the poor manual its a decent enough bit of kit. I've left the timer to run for about 3 minutes and humidistat set to low run. Will see how it responds to a shower later today. Away back to my bed. Happy I now know how the day will play out and don't have to speedfind a replacement before Turkey on Monday. No pressure!

At least it's self supporting now. :lol:

This fan but the 100mm version.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B1JB2V3N? ... title&th=1
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
AGT

Post by AGT »

Glad you got it sorted, that’s why people don’t like fans, fiddly to set up and sometimes the same to operate.

I have 2 fans in my bathrooms, one comes on with the light to deal with smells, the other is a fan operated by a switch prior to using the shower.

Works for me and my family.