Cold batteries

Stinsy

Cold batteries

Post by Stinsy »

My 5x Pylontechs are in the attic which is unheated. Well I have worked very hard to make it as unheated as possible! In the coldest conditions the batteries report a lower max charge rate and the inverter obeys this.

Yesterday I noticed the max charge rate was 50A (10A per battery), I was concerned the batteries might not fully charge in my 4hr cheap widow. However, after c. 70mins the charge-rate increased. I guess they warmed themselves up a bit.

Today they're reporting max charge rate of 95A or 19A per battery. I can only remember seeing 25A per battery or 10A per battery before, I thought there was "normal" and "cold", 19A seems a bit random, does anyone know what values are reported in what conditions?

12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Stinsy

Re: Cold batteries

Post by Stinsy »

Just had a thought. Maybe the top and bottom batteries were cold middle ones were warm. So (25x3)+(10x2)=95. That means we are back to 10A = cold, 25A = normal.

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Question is, are you tempted to make a seasonal wrap & take some measurements? (to ensure they self warm over this period, akin to a freezers proximity to a wall & waste heat)
A cold loft is very blooming cold, what are your winter & summer extreme numbers thus far?
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

The cold isn't really a problem to be solved, I'm more about understanding the behaviour. 5x batteries at 48V being charged at 10A each is 2400W, even if they carried on at that rate for the whole 4hr cheap period I'd still get most of a charge into them. However they warm up while being charged. My inverter/charger maxes at 3.5kW anyway so "coldgating" doesn't slow me down by much.

If I had a 6kW-capable inverter/charger it'd make a bigger difference. But even then I'd prefer buying more batteries over fashioning an insulated (or dare-I-say-it: heated) enclosure.

I wonder what the implications would be if someone was using the batteries without a BMS data connection between batteries and inverter/charger? They could continue to charge the stack at 6kW even though the BMS has "coldgated" them down to 2.4kW. Could the be damaged? Obviously the BMS doesn't throttle the charge-rate without good reason.

Heat is another consideration. A "universal truth" is that batteries don't like heat. The attic sure does get hot in summer. However I've never noticed either charge or discharge rate being throttled in summer. And I've seen plenty of installations of these batteries in Africa, so I'm not sure how much of a consideration this is.

Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Stinsy wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:27 am The cold isn't really a problem to be solved, I'm more about understanding the behaviour. 5x batteries at 48V being charged at 10A each is 2400W, even if they carried on at that rate for the whole 4hr cheap period I'd still get most of a charge into them. However they warm up while being charged. My inverter/charger maxes at 3.5kW anyway so "coldgating" doesn't slow me down by much.

If I had a 6kW-capable inverter/charger it'd make a bigger difference. But even then I'd prefer buying more batteries over fashioning an insulated (or dare-I-say-it: heated) enclosure.

I wonder what the implications would be if someone was using the batteries without a BMS data connection between batteries and inverter/charger? They could continue to charge the stack at 6kW even though the BMS has "coldgated" them down to 2.4kW. Could the be damaged? Obviously the BMS doesn't throttle the charge-rate without good reason.

Heat is another consideration. A "universal truth" is that batteries don't like heat. The attic sure does get hot in summer. However I've never noticed either charge or discharge rate being throttled in summer. And I've seen plenty of installations of these batteries in Africa, so I'm not sure how much of a consideration this is.
Stinsy, what is your state of health percentage? I am at 96% in year 4. Year 4 being the oldest battery in the stack. Our stack lives in a cold garage and I have my dod set at 90%.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

By that "seen in africa" do you mean..

Enclosed in africa (roofing materials taken into consideration? (In loft type conditions)

Or, used in African heat ground floor, open exposure but with a chance for breeze to blow through, & presumably shared protection from sun, set to a concrete foundation (floor) to allow for some kind of heat dissipation?
Context is 👍

Cheers
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
Tinbum

Post by Tinbum »

I have a couple of Growatts in my unheated workshop and have a small greenhouse tube heater 60w under them that I turn on as required for a short time during really cold weather.

The Pylons are going in a separate small insulated room (inside a barn) with the inverters. The heat from the inverters should keep the room warm enough in winter and the barn keep them cool enough in summer.

A BMS connection is certainly required.
85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, 8kWh Growatt storage, 22 x US3000C Pylontech, Sofar ME3000's, Brosley wood burner and 250lt DHW
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Joeboy wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:55 am Stinsy, what is your state of health percentage? I am at 96% in year 4. Year 4 being the oldest battery in the stack. Our stack lives in a cold garage and I have my dod set at 90%.
I don't have a way to read that information. I'm keen to! How do you get it? I've seen people connect raspberry pis to the "console" port of their top battery but I haven't done that.
Mr Gus wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:05 am By that "seen in africa" do you mean..

Enclosed in africa (roofing materials taken into consideration? (In loft type conditions)

Or, used in African heat ground floor, open exposure but with a chance for breeze to blow through, & presumably shared protection from sun, set to a concrete foundation (floor) to allow for some kind of heat dissipation?
Context is 👍

Cheers
The one's I've seen in Africa have been in outdoor/shaded installations. My attic might well get hot in summer (35℃ would be my guess) but I'm sure the ones in Africa (and Australia) get hotter despite them benefitting from a draught.

Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Thanks stinsy.
I can only throw my own experience of a south & north facing low pitch, low height slate roof (uk) getting into the 40's in summer heat.

Don't guess, get readings & an idea, seasonally. I left one up there to get an idea of loft hatch insulation & general area, plus also when to work up there as it is "crawl space" only ..awkward & uncomfortable through to unbearable.
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Stinsy wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:05 pm
Joeboy wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:55 am Stinsy, what is your state of health percentage? I am at 96% in year 4. Year 4 being the oldest battery in the stack. Our stack lives in a cold garage and I have my dod set at 90%.
I don't have a way to read that information. I'm keen to! How do you get it? I've seen people connect raspberry pis to the "console" port of their top battery but I haven't done that.
Mr Gus wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:05 am By that "seen in africa" do you mean..

Context is 👍

Cheers
The one's I've seen in Africa have been in outdoor/shaded installations. My attic might well get hot in summer (35℃ would be my guess) but I'm sure the ones in Africa (and Australia) get hotter despite them benefitting from a draught.
It is displayed on the sems portal (goodwe) in the one level down maintenance info. Can you maybe run rs232 and see data on hyperterminal?
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees