Sneaked under the radar.....

All things related to vehicles - EVs, transport, fuels
Fintray

Re: Sneaked under the radar.....

Post by Fintray »

nowty wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:12 pm But if its still OK to use a 7kW dumb charging cable via a 32A commando socket, then I'm not too concerned.
Are you intending checking? :roll:
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Looks like this group are responsible for advising government on this:

https://evenergytaskforce.com/
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

My main problem with all this is: why do they always come up with such a complex solution?

Why not just put everyone on a ToU tariff? Charge 30p/kwh between 1530-2030, 5p/kWh 0030-0530, and 15p/kWh the rest of the time (pick your own prices). If someone wants to charge their BEV at 1800 when they get home from work they should be able to the government shouldn't mandate nanny-state technology to control when they do or do-not charge their car.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
nowty

Post by nowty »

Fintray wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:40 am
nowty wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:12 pm But if its still OK to use a 7kW dumb charging cable via a 32A commando socket, then I'm not too concerned.
Are you intending checking? :roll:
I think I agree with Gallahad's interpretation (post 12 from this thread). His post confused me a little because I could not see the same specific info in the document I was reading which was the Government Response to the consultation. That document is a dogs dinner and full of vagueness and some potentially scary stuff.
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... sponse.pdf

However I have now found the actual approved legislation (yes its fully approved, signed into law on the 15th Dec 2021) found here,
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2021/1467/made

And it does have more specific wording, I am not going to repeat it all, just read Gallahds post #12, https://camelot-forum.co.uk/phpBB3/view ... t=10#p6761

However the legislation does not say whether you can screw a 7kW dumb granny cable to the wall (like I have) or even whether it needs to have a plug and socket on the grid side end of it.

The legislation seems to be slightly contradictory. It says, it does not cover non smart cables but still defines them as a cable which is a charge point without smart features. So it seems you cannot buy a non smart charge point but you can still buy a dumb cable which is a charge point. I suspect the intention is to exempt standard 13A pin granny cables, but I have a 7kW granny cable screwed to the wall and plugged into a Commando socket.

If I replaced that with the same after 30th June 2022 is that an illegal charge point or a legal non smart cable ?
Last edited by nowty on Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

They probably have no idea that 32A "granny cables" exist!

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Lads, not yet read this thread, but in process of getting the car charger sorted at home beyond granny plug.

My thought was that this was coming.
SO, like I told Octopus,

1. "I live in a god-awful mobile phone reception area"
2. "unless you have an exterior antennae extension for the meter change over likely the foil faced insulation is not going to allow many / any data packets out into the wild grey yonder.

3. I consider insulation fitted within the mneter box essential to the home & any removal (north facing meter box) cannot be allowed as it will unfairly raise our already high power usage.

Their answer was that there are no meter boxes with enhanced antennae of this type, so a smets 2 will likely not work at our home / be intermittent but no worries if we do what we can.

4. I hate smart meters anyway, esp after the early stages debacle that some may say is still ongoing.

So, pre-fit your meter box with offcuts of foil faced insulation you own the box, they own the equipment, if their designs are not up to scratch, not my problem, the installer can vouch it was there to begin with.

Regular in wall meter boxes are a questionably archaic design when trying to insulate your home.

Looks like a lot of stealthy commando boxes on a timer will be order of the day shortly (as oft espoused by a forum member here)
Fecking government.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

My meter box is fitted into the garage wall so doesn't affect our insulation...

Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

That may / may not prove beneficial for you stinsy, but for many its just the outside wall of the main dwelling not, sited on a garage wall where it may well be cold / unheated anyway.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

nowty wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:19 pm However the legislation does not say whether you can screw a 7kW dumb granny cable to the wall (like I have) or even whether it needs to have a plug and socket on the grid side end of it.

The legislation seems to be slightly contradictory. It says, it does not cover non smart cables but still defines them as a cable which is a charge point without smart features. So it seems you cannot buy a non smart charge point but you can still buy a dumb cable which is a charge point. I suspect the intention is to exempt standard 13A pin granny cables, but I have a 7kW granny cable screwed to the wall and plugged into a Commando socket.

If I replaced that with the same after 30th June 2022 is that an illegal charge point or a legal non smart cable ?
I don't see that you can no longer buy a non-smart charger or cable.

3) In this regulation—

(b)“non-smart cable” means an electrical cable which is a charge point but which is not able to send and receive information;

As I read it all non-smart cables are exempt from this Regulation entirely - where "smart" simply means "able to send and receive information" via a communications network. If you have a home-brew control on the circuit up-stream of the "charger" then that is separate from the "charger".

If the control point (for determining timing and kW) is actually in the vehicle - rather than at the charger itself - then these Regulations will similarly not apply.

I think this Regulation is all about providing a framework whereby an owner can agree to a Demand Side Response contract with their supplier, and thereby handing over control of when and by what kW they can charge their vehicle. I would expect this will be at an advantageous rate compared to not agreeing to DSR.

This report (only published in April 2021) seems to be the context for where we are. How much notice have the government actually taken of it?

https://www.energy-uk.org.uk/publicatio ... ad&id=7864
But there is a split view on how to deliver this, particularly whether smart charging infrastructure
should be mandated or not, and whether it needs to sit within or outside the smart meter system.
This report presents an important contribution to the debate on the role of digital tech in easing friction
and enabling a seamless and frictionless experience for consumers, whilst ensuring the functionality
of the grid.
nowty

Post by nowty »

Ironically for the Intelligent Octopus tariff, they recommend turning off all the smart features on your charger as they may interfere with the charging sessions. :lol:
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3