Corner turned

Moxi

Re: Corner turned

Post by Moxi »

Finally cleared here and bright overcast skies with some pale blue sky visible here and there. Main panels giving us 395 Watts diverted sending excess to an oil fired radiator which is warm to the touch at the base.

I’m sat just trying to work out background house consumption, sensible generating period during a January day, day length etc to see what sort of battery size that would be and how long to recharge just using solar, all of this excludes big consumer items like the kettle etc

Might have to walk the dogs to help my head “wonder” it through and to escape the lovely smell of roasting beef that’s permeating the cottage!

Moxi
nowty

Post by nowty »

Sun is a bit up and down today but Nowty Towers has achieved over 4kW around midday today and that's a first for this year.

The sun is starting to noticeably accelerate its daily climb in the sky and is currently increasing by about a quarter of a degree a day.

And tomorrow looks like a certain new record for 2022 with wall to wall sunshine. :mrgreen:
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

How was the film ?

Yes tomorrow looks like being a stunner!

We look like topping out around 1.2 to 1.4 today as the cloud is building again but it’s still trickling in at 226W at present so who knows.

The dogs enjoyed the walk and in my fuddled way I have decided that I need a 3kWh battery to run the cottage through a night in January - allowing for 80% DoD. I cannot see that we would be producing excess power of that magnitude till April or May although getting the south facing 600Wp array up as soon as practicable May change that.

So a couple of months to watch production and firm up the assumptions.

Moxi
Adokforme

Post by Adokforme »

January has been brilliant for us so far, beating December already! :D
nowty

Post by nowty »

Moxi wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:34 pm How was the film ?
Dune (2021)

Pretty good, a mixture of game of thrones, lord of the rings and star wars all thrown in together. Within a few minutes of the film starting I felt we were going to see some of those sand worms. :o
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

;) glad you enjoyed the film.

Another stunning day here and I expect between 4 and 4.5kWh to be the closing score as bad light stops play later.

Moxi
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Well I straggled the target there it was 4.25kWh on the nose !

White clouds on the forecast for the rest of the week so we shall see if we are blessed with edge scatter or foiled by even layers am either way a nice way to start the week :) Moxi
CrofterMannie

Post by CrofterMannie »

7.7kwhr today which is the best of the year by a long way.
Not had considering the sun dips below the hills at 14:15 at this time of year.
8kw solar
ETA log boiler
5ha woodland
MG5EV
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

A very reasonable 3.2kWh today, very chilly North easterly wind blowing all day and a lot of intermittent cloud so very please with the results.

Sat waiting for the last 10 meters of unistrut channel to arrive as all the fittings arrived late last night and then I can build the frame for the 600W array and see how that improves matters :D

WBS is on warming the kettle for the kids hot water bottles and tomorrows spag bol is simmering next to it

Bliss.

Moxi
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

3kWh today and it was great to see the lights on for charging and not from the grid! Glad you are progressing Moxi. Will there be a build photo?

Chicken Balti I made on the WS yesterday heating for this evening, Rice will also be cooked on WS, oven for Nan breads though....
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees