Corner turned

Moxi

Re: Corner turned

Post by Moxi »

Well disappointingly the unistrut has failed to materialise tonight so i have to hope they rock up tomorrow or Friday with the goods :(

Its the first time i have dabbled with unistrut so I will keep a photolog for you all to have a laugh at when i get started on the build.

I have also taken ownership (much to the displeasure of the boss) of a 12 month old 90 litre indirect stainless steel tru-cyl (I think thats the name) how water tank immersion heater and thermostat for free.

Theres nowhere in the cottage to fit it BUT there is a potential space at the back of the cottage that could become a "plant room" and I could drill through the wall and tap in to the feed and return pipes of the radiator at the back of the room.

This is all very conceptual and i will take some photos over the weekend and probably start a new thread so that it doesn't hi jack this one but the space (as you will see) is not easily claimed by SHMBO the kids or anyone due to its inaccessibility so potentially its mine to claim as my own little RE space, if you remember i didn't have anywhere for a battery stack either 8-)

Moxi
nowty

Post by nowty »

Moxi wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:53 pm Well disappointingly the unistrut has failed to materialise tonight so i have to hope they rock up tomorrow or Friday with the goods :(

Its the first time i have dabbled with unistrut so I will keep a photolog for you all to have a laugh at when i get started on the build.
Unistrut, now that takes me back to my apprenticeship.

I did a stint in the construction and commissioning of a brand new (back in the 80's) Uranium Tetrafluoride (UF4) conversion plant and used that stuff to build structures to hold various types of instrumentation. I recall galvo spray was useful in rust proofing the cut ends.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
nowty

Post by nowty »

Corner defiantly turned here and Solar PV is heating the house via heatpump and charging the home battery in January ! :mrgreen:

Looks like going to be a record day for 2022 here. Post cold front clear sky and cold wind adding to extra Solar PV power and its not even midday.

5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Yes I have designed, specified and provided numerous load and stress calculations over the years for various unistrut configurations but this will be my first hands on use.

Galvafriod, Coldgalv and other options are essential to make good any damage to the HDG coating. I am looking forward to getting the panels mounted and some useful morning generation - i have the one panel bolted to some make shift legs that latch it at around 55 degrees to the vertical but the voltage on an overcast day such as we have here in North Wales today isn't sufficient to drive the Y&H inverter.

I see you are exporting 16W is that around the minimum you can limit to or was that an instantaneous reading at the point of the photo?

Moxi
nowty

Post by nowty »

Moxi wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:01 pm I see you are exporting 16W is that around the minimum you can limit to or was that an instantaneous reading at the point of the photo?
Its just the instantaneous reading at that point, it is usually zero but when you have fluctuating generation and loads, its a bit up and down.

But only 0.06 kWh exported to the grid so far today.
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Stan

Post by Stan »

Yes, corner turned but it’s different for all of us depending on our surroundings. I have an issue with several mature ash trees but at least they are locking up carbon. It’s that daily quarter degree rise of the sun at midday plus the longer days that are raising pv output.
Regarding solar hot water heating, the new Solic 200 is working a treat to scavenge what electricity would otherwise be exported by heating the immersion. The 40 x 47mm solar tubes can still only warm the bottom of the tank by 12C or thereabouts; probably a good combination.
Sunrisemike

Post by Sunrisemike »

Good to see 120 Ampere hours (24 v) into my batteries today, that's around 3.5 kwh, easily enough to run the house for 24 hours. Washing machine at midday.

Mike

off grid

Osborne
Off grid.
3.9 kw solar panels
6 x solar collectors
40 kWh rolls batteries
Orligno wood gasification boiler
2000 litre storage tank
Lister generator...
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Sunrisemike wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:31 pm Good to see 120 Ampere hours (24 v) into my batteries today, that's around 3.5 kwh, easily enough to run the house for 24 hours. Washing machine at midday.

Mike

off grid

Osborne
Nice one, great to hear of all the lads climbing out of Winter.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Alas another 875watt day here - got to ring the steel stockist tomorrow to see where my ten meters of unistrut has gotten to ? Should have been here last Thursday.

Moxi
Sunrisemike

Post by Sunrisemike »

Miserable here too, had to run the generator two days in a row. :|
Off grid.
3.9 kw solar panels
6 x solar collectors
40 kWh rolls batteries
Orligno wood gasification boiler
2000 litre storage tank
Lister generator...