Small things matter

Wood stoves, pellets and other bio-fuels
Joeboy

Re: Small things matter

Post by Joeboy »

Van no load

Loaded!

Van has a load cap of just under 0.7Tonnes, think we might be pushing that?

This pile to dry for a few months! :)
Before
After
Today.
Ordered a new but box open bare unit twin battery Einhell large chainsaw last night. Planning to process all the wood through solar power across the coming season. No two stroke! Also going to build a saw🐴 .

As an associated bonus my mates New to him house solar thermal kicked in yesterday. He was dead chuffed. Also did the hands on test on the external skin.of building and they couldn't believe the difference in temperature 😳
Huge solar gain at his place, you know what next?
Last edited by Joeboy on Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
nowty

Post by nowty »

I remember a few times in the past I was pushing it with my old Ford Focus, loaded up with building materials.

But I'm being a bit more gentle with the Tesla. :lol:

16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Your experiment is going well, a stripped back upcycled single oven unit would be right up your street. SWMBO gets the original oven back and you get a variable temp storage heater with built in timer?

I'll be careful with the I5 until its first ding, then it'll be brick time!
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Well its been an ok day here - lots of overcast weather again but a brighter patch of sky around 2pm has bounced the daily yield up slightly and likely to finish around 1.3kWh (70Wp at present and the light is fading)

On a plus note some more unistrut has arrived although i am still waiting for 10 meters (2x5meter sections) to turn up that was due last Thursday.

I have enough to do the frame now so maybe i will just ask for the refund.

Pictures to follow in the forthcoming days.

I liked the pictures of the van suspension BTW - reminded me of when i brought some oak home - i couldnt adjust the headlights low enough with the trim control to stop people thinking i had main beam on :shock:

Moxi
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Nowty

Is there a max load specified for your oven ? You don't want to be popping any spot welds or pop riveted, self tapped connections.

Moxi
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Moxi wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:51 pm Well its been an ok day here - lots of overcast weather again but a brighter patch of sky around 2pm has bounced the daily yield up slightly and likely to finish around 1.3kWh (70Wp at present and the light is fading)

On a plus note some more unistrut has arrived although i am still waiting for 10 meters (2x5meter sections) to turn up that was due last Thursday.

I have enough to do the frame now so maybe i will just ask for the refund.

Pictures to follow in the forthcoming days.

I liked the pictures of the van suspension BTW - reminded me of when i brought some oak home - i couldnt adjust the headlights low enough with the trim control to stop people thinking i had main beam on :shock:

Moxi
Getting much the same here Moxi, coupleafew kWh's. Happy to have them in Jan! Looking forward to seeing the build.

We are about halfway through the main woodstore.
Wanting to get a handle on how many tonnes it takes to run the house across a Winter. Foil hat on and outside with SWMBO's scales.
15kgs per log on this incidental stack and there are around 45 of them there.
Call it 0.7T for the lot and once split and stacked I'll have a rough guesstimate as to that stores capacity. I reckoned about 5T after filling it last year. Although there no scales involved then!
It'll give the new saw something to test on. :)
Front store holds about a Tonne so 3.5T from last Autumn to now is pretty good?
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Phwoar !!!!!! I've got serious log pile envy now! thats a lovely lot of fuel you have there :)

I'm almost out of logs here now so come march i will be rootling around getting whatever comes available by different sources and then in September if i am still light I will be off to the lumber yard to either buy some timber in the round or more likely some bulk logs already to go - fortunately we have a very reasonable yard about 7 miles away.

I also need to sweep the flue as there has been some soot smuts on the paving stones the last few days so either its my chimney or my Neighbours??

Moxi
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Moxi wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:28 pm Phwoar !!!!!! I've got serious log pile envy now! thats a lovely lot of fuel you have there :)

I'm almost out of logs here now so come march i will be rootling around getting whatever comes available by different sources and then in September if i am still light I will be off to the lumber yard to either buy some timber in the round or more likely some bulk logs already to go - fortunately we have a very reasonable yard about 7 miles away.

I also need to sweep the flue as there has been some soot smuts on the paving stones the last few days so either its my chimney or my Neighbours??

Moxi
Glad you mentioned sweeping. Haven't yet but we were chatting about this last night.Is there a known goto brand for DIY sweeps? The logpile is something we are proud of as is sourcing and processing ethos. Each to their own in it all. Best of fortune come Spring.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

My mate who's ear I have been bending on RE while logging has just reserved his slot on WT2. Some week for him on the back of his solar thermal kicking in too. :)
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Never swept my own flue before but thinking of getting the kit to do it on a monthly sort of basis the theory being little and often will be less mess as there’s no build up. Looking in to it the slimmer more flexible rods seem more user friendly than the traditional drain rod type which makes sense on smaller WBS where access and transition to the vertical will be tight.

First thing will be to clean down the WBS itself and purchase a new baffle and a replacement firebrick for a cracked and eroded one, then take a look up the flue to see what it looks like.

Good solar day here with 3.75kWh in the bag although next four days look being more like 800Wh.

Moxi