UK Wind Record

Wind turbines
Mr Gus

Re: UK Wind Record

Post by Mr Gus »

On the fens edge, here it has dropped to a balmy 26 mph wind, but was battering us through the night, it was 5 am before I got to sleep.
(thank goodness for an excellent ne S.korean zombie series on Netflix yesterday "All of us are dead")

I'm guessing some of us are now "too young" (damn you) to remember the numerous visits during construction of Dinorig on blue peter!? :lol: (cbbc still film there from time to time)

So for AE, I'll link in this FULLY CHARGED ep, ;)
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

On the fens edge, here it has dropped to a balmy 26 mph wind, but was battering us through the night, it was 5 am before I got to sleep.
(thank goodness for an excellent ne S.korean zombie series on Netflix yesterday "All of us are dead")

I'm guessing some of us are now "too young" (damn you) to remember the numerous visits during construction of Dinorig on blue peter!? :lol: (cbbc still film there from time to time)

Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Mr Gus wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:30 pm On the fens edge, here it has dropped to a balmy 26 mph wind, but was battering us through the night, it was 5 am before I got to sleep.

An excellent segment, really enjoyed that! Was today a wind record?
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
nowty

Post by nowty »

Mr Gus wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:30 pm I'm guessing some of us are now "too young" (damn you) to remember the numerous visits during construction of Dinorig on blue peter!? :lol: (cbbc still film there from time to time)
I remember, and on a school trip, I even visited it, still remember those huge vertical rotating shafts. :shock:
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Dinorwig is two valleys over from us and before Covid hit we went for the tour to look around and it’s impressive, I know they were having some industrial relations problems last year but I think that’s all been resolved. I would have thought we could set up some more pumped schemes around here in north wales as we have the abandoned quarries and lagoons to take advantage of.

Moxi
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Moxi, whilst good, & a natural "kinda" battery the wiki piece states that it earns its money from standby payments, which is in part why such big engineering elsewhere has been ignored in favour of other renewables. as its an intermittent stream I guess its too slow / problematic elsewhere in the perceived grand scheme of things, especially as we get nearer to what the public see as "battery storage" compared to this on demand instant feed.

You'd need to look at the accounts to get a better idea, & tie in government ideals of the time (e.g. maggie selling off energy / telecoms etc)
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Hi Mr Gus,

Yes there would need to be a different model but if we used excess wind energy to fill the pumped schemes rather than being curtailed wouldn’t that be worthwhile?

Another argument maybe for a return to a nationalised CEGB where a common goal at least ensured that less economic schemes still got built based instead on their contribution to a stable grid.

Moxi
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Oh i'm with you there, but I'm guessing that based on the strikes of the 70's & the sell offs of the 80's onward any more schemes would likely be perceived as potential for union disruption at the very least, the decision to bet all chips of the nuclear "wonder power" etc etc..

Yes it ought be revisited & new technology matching in with it as we go, just y'know "filthy politics" & the perception of old tech, like I say accounts books are a good place to start as to plant running costs & efficiency & good green energy achieved (then likely p155ed away on powering ginormous televisions) & how many times that wind potential could amplify dinorigs use in a variety of situations.

Guess the old hands of the last 20 years there may have some ideas, via the sites PR dept.
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Moxi wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:50 pm Hi Mr Gus,
Yes there would need to be a different model but if we used excess wind energy to fill the pumped schemes rather than being curtailed wouldn’t that be worthwhile?
Another argument maybe for a return to a nationalised CEGB where a common goal at least ensured that less economic schemes still got built based instead on their contribution to a stable grid.
Moxi
Of course we need to store more electricity rather than curtailing renewables. As I said in an email to my MP:
Wind generation is curtailed ("switched off") because the grid cannot accept it, when it could otherwise play a part in reducing carbon emissions;
The electricity not produced and stored is generated later instead by the use of fossil fuel;
Consumers compensate the [wind] generators through their bills for not being able to supply - and then pay again at the current unprecedented rates for electricity generated using fossil fuels.
This is truly a lose - lose - lose situation and I would hope that the government will take urgent action to bring forward the availability of the [storage] capacity that is so clearly needed.
I had asked in a letter - which I hoped he would forward - about the fact (?) that electricity storage being charged £££ grid charges as both a user and a supplier was nonsense, and I understood that it was why several biggish storage schemes had planning permission but were permanently "on hold."
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Hmm, wonder if we should set up some sort of chain emails from here? (same subject matter different MP'S & parties)?
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS