Suitable Battery Racks and what do others do

Moxi

Suitable Battery Racks and what do others do

Post by Moxi »

Amongst the forum theres quite a few people with Pylontech batteries amongst their systems, does anyone have a particular server rack system they recommend - specifically for the US3000C in my case but as a general conversation and to help other who cover this journey at a later stage we probably should cover the US2000C and other variants too ?

I haven't had any dealing with server racks before but I assume they have a standard inner frame to align with the lateral tabs on the Pylontech batteries?

I'm considering this option but would appreciate input from others in the forum with more experience:

https://www.tradesparky.com/wiring-acce ... -600x800mm

Based on sage advice from others I have taken the plunge and bought a larger than initially required system comprising:

4 x US3000C, 1 x Solis 3.0kw 5G RAI charger, 1 x Solis Data Logging Stick - WiFi, 1 x KETO Battery Disconnector with 40A Fuses, 1 x Long cable set.

Would the linked cabinet be suitable for these batteries - does it need anything else besides the base cabinet or are there better options out there?

The storage option for the batteries and Solis are either under the stairs or on the landing - both need a degree of cabling to the house distribution board and I will probably take some photos later and be asking for peoples opinions on this as well - its all happened a bit faster that expected but my wife turned around today and said "yeah sounds like a good idea, do it!" so after I regained consciousness I did! :shock:

Moxi
Joeboy

Re: Suitable Battery Racks and what do others do

Post by Joeboy »

I built my own out of timber and it hangs off the roof. Could easily be 40mm bases between batteries and connections can still be made. Its also mounted onto wall at rear. I specced it to take about 400kgs. I didnt want to narrow the garage any at kneeheight on the remote chance I used it for a car one day. It has decent paths of ventilation built in too.

19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
nowty

Post by nowty »

Moxi wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:22 pm Based on sage advice from others I have taken the plunge and bought a larger than initially required system comprising:

4 x US3000C, 1 x Solis 3.0kw 5G RAI charger, 1 x Solis Data Logging Stick - WiFi, 1 x KETO Battery Disconnector with 40A Fuses, 1 x Long cable set.
Why 40A fuses ?, you'll want about 80A ones for that inverter / charger.
Last edited by nowty on Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Hi Nowty,

That was what was in the pack description is it not right and do i need to go back to them urgently ?

Moxi
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Hi Joeboy,

Mine will be on the landing or under the stairs subject to guidance from the forum and whichever electrician i can engage to do the install for me.

Landing option would probably end with them being built into a wardrobe (call that a sweetner for SWMBO) but the under stairs hole would need something around the batteries to protect them from mice and dust.

We are going under the stairs later when the boys are asleep to access the options that lay within Or not.

I am happy to knock something up in wood but I think SWMBO is expecting something along the racking cabinet route to keep it all tidy even if its out of sight :roll:

Moxi
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Nowty for the battery fuses is the 3kWh of the inverter and the 48V giving 62.5Amps current ?

Apologies all - steep learning curve for me today

Moxi
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Joeboy

Are yours sat on individual shelves rather than held by the front flanges?

Moxi
nowty

Post by nowty »

Moxi wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:57 pm Nowty for the battery fuses is the 3kWh of the inverter and the 48V giving 62.5Amps current ?

Apologies all - steep learning curve for me today

Moxi
The inverter has a max DC battery charge / discharge of 60A, its in the specification, so I suggest 80A ones. The Keto units may well come with a standard set of fuses, not necessarily the ones you want.

The actual voltage of the batteries will vary from around 53v (full) down to about 46v (empty).
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Countrypaul

Post by Countrypaul »

Moxi wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:22 pm I'm considering this option but would appreciate input from others in the forum with more experience:

https://www.tradesparky.com/wiring-acce ... -600x800mm
As 19" rack cabinets go that one is quite deep at 800mm - suitable for servers, you should be able to get less deep ones, after all the Pylontechs are only about 450mm. Not sure how much space you have, but if anything like most on here you won't want to waste it!

Here is an example (first one I found on Ebay) https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403455805304 ... Sw0dpiARXf - have not checked how suitable it would be in detail.

I picked a similar one up on Ebay for £25 a little while back - to use for comms not Pylontechs though.
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Under the stairs? is that not going to represent a big potential fire hazard, building escape restriction toxic fumes & smoke damping down & removal if the cack hits the fan?

Whilst I haven't read the thread we've encountered this dilemma in a thread before. (in a galaxy far away)
Is there no small steel lined rack sized outdoor cludgey type building on the horizon?

H&S will be an inevitable factor of home battery when it (govt) finally catches up.. one of those will likely be exterior access fire brigade approval, especially where semi's / traditionally close built UK housing estates are concerned.

Likely a H&S £££ "inspection" never mind certification from a sparky.

What thermal runaway precautions are planned / will be legally required 6-8 years down the line, what ought be pre-empted now?

Remember the on wheels server racks of the Norwegian Nissan home battery guy? I like the idea of *possibly* being able to separate, cover, & wheel away in the event of a home fire, either occurring because of other home ignition causes or bad bloody battery luck.

(fireproof sleeved poncho, & 3m capable mask nearby naturally)
Last edited by Mr Gus on Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more