Corner turned

Joeboy

Re: Corner turned

Post by Joeboy »

One more corner turned, I am log splitting today and keeping an eye on the SOC of the stack, log splitter is running, chainsaws charging. It dipped to 80%soc earlier this morning and is now at 83%soc with a decent 1.2kW incoming. That's the signal for me to switch the Solar iboost back on and let it do its thing thru the day alongside the switchbot which will take care of late evening manual switching to bring the HWT up to 80 deg within the Go Faster period. Its a babystep indeed yet a first for the year and unexpected for Mid Feb. Joy! :D
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Joeboy wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:12 am One more corner turned, I am log splitting today and keeping an eye on the SOC of the stack, log splitter is running, chainsaws charging. It dipped to 80%soc earlier this morning and is now at 83%soc with a decent 1.2kW incoming. That's the signal for me to switch the Solar iboost back on and let it do its thing thru the day alongside the switchbot which will take care of late evening manual switching to bring the HWT up to 80 deg within the Go Faster period. Its a babystep indeed yet a first for the year and unexpected for Mid Feb. Joy! :D
I've produced 0.1kWh so far today and batteries are already down to 24% at 1130. I'm gonna be using peat-priced electricity today, no-doubt-about-it.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Stinsy wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:32 am
Joeboy wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:12 am One more corner turned, I am log splitting today and keeping an eye on the SOC of the stack, log splitter is running, chainsaws charging. It dipped to 80%soc earlier this morning and is now at 83%soc with a decent 1.2kW incoming. That's the signal for me to switch the Solar iboost back on and let it do its thing thru the day alongside the switchbot which will take care of late evening manual switching to bring the HWT up to 80 deg within the Go Faster period. Its a babystep indeed yet a first for the year and unexpected for Mid Feb. Joy! :D
I've produced 0.1kWh so far today and batteries are already down to 24% at 1130. I'm gonna be using peat-priced electricity today, no-doubt-about-it.
Sorry to read that pal. I am seeing 2kW incoming which is a year first and completely unexpected. Good to see that the solariboost instantly started chucking power into the HWT on fire up. It will do its thing then the wee bot is timed to bring on two of two hours manual demanded HWT charging windows thru the Go Faster window. With fortune on our side(and solar) the time needed in the second window will be reducing each day going forward.

SOC on stack continues its climb. Now at 86%. Damn pity the car is in getting its coating. I think we have a window today to actually do the three card shuffle for real. HWT, stack & EV all charging from the PV. Wouldn't have lasted long right enough. Minutes rather than hours. Ah well, tomorrow's another day! :)
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Once we get past March and your array really starts producing you'll have to manually trigger the DHW a lot! You'll want to get your batteries down to a sensible level before the sun starts filling them quicker than you can use the electric!

What are your plans to stop/limit charging from cheap-rate electric?

When we have several consecutive sunny days I set the inverter to charge the batteries to 70% in the cheap period. I have the 2030-0030 cheap slot so the batteries have a chance to use some of their power before the sun hits the panels 0900ish.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Stinsy wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:13 pm Once we get past March and your array really starts producing you'll have to manually trigger the DHW a lot! You'll want to get your batteries down to a sensible level before the sun starts filling them quicker than you can use the electric!

What are your plans to stop/limit charging from cheap-rate electric?

When we have several consecutive sunny days I set the inverter to charge the batteries to 70% in the cheap period. I have the 2030-0030 cheap slot so the batteries have a chance to use some of their power before the sun hits the panels 0900ish.
I'll keep an eye on the Octopus daily use and will adjust timers as we go. Basically I'll knock the stack charging time down first and chuck it towards the EV. Otherwise I'll very quickly be full by 10am. Today has been an eye opener, still shaded by inaccessible trees and a low sun yet. Victron array started throwing out over 1.2kW on its own. Also changed out iboost sender batteries to rechargeable freshly charged by today's epic run. 😎

42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

13.44hrs Victron throttled itself back. A quick press of the button on the switchbot app to kick in the solariboost and it's all cranking again.

Well worth it as the Victron is still outputting

No doubt this is gonna be best day yet in 22!
If the soc on stack drops too much I'll just kill the inline hive plug via app and that switches off the iboost. Power the hive plug back up and the iboost is in scavenge mode again. Slightly clunky yet I've worked it from Turkey, no hassle.
Last edited by Joeboy on Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
CrofterMannie

Post by CrofterMannie »

Grid watch is not showing much solar today so I'm guessing there's not much sun in the south.
In the north the electrons are pouring in, not quite reached max output (3.68kw) but we were at 3.4kw for a short time.
Looking likely to be the best day of the year so far.

8kw solar
ETA log boiler
5ha woodland
MG5EV
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

CrofterMannie wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:52 pm Grid watch is not showing much solar today so I'm guessing there's not much sun in the south.
In the north the electrons are pouring in, not quite reached max output (3.68kw) but we were at 3.4kw for a short time.
Looking likely to be the best day of the year so far.

Excellent, glad to read that! Nice to see what's on its way in the season?
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Test over, hailstones!

That was brilliant though! :)
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
marshman

Post by marshman »

__
Last edited by marshman on Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.