Part ownership of a Ripple Wind Turbine, fancy it?

Wind turbines
Tinbum

Re: Part ownership of a Wind Turbine, fancy it?

Post by Tinbum »

Sure it's not Covid? My 10 year old daughter tested positive a week last Thursday after feeling dizzy and having a headache during the night. She is still testing positive. She really suffered the first couple of days and now just aches. Thankfully the rest of the family are OK and I've really kept well away as I'm still suffering from long covid 2 years after infection.

Just replaced the pendulum spring and trying to get the timing right which is an art. The spring is 0.0037" thick.

85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, 8kWh Growatt storage, 22 x US3000C Pylontech, Sofar ME3000's, Brosley wood burner and 250lt DHW
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Very nice indeed. Both testing negative, apparently this is known to be going about. :(

Sorry to hear the family got it especially the wee yin. :(

I've restocked WS, had a cuppa. Away back up to stare at ceiling for a couple of hours, see ye ramorra.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

I use a well known generic anti-hayfever / itch pill (well 2 or 3) to get sleep a few times per week around £18 for 400 via your local chemist.
"may induce sleepiness" ...great!
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
nowty

Post by nowty »

Joeboy wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:47 am Where's Nowty? :)
Drove to central London and back on a Friday !!!!!
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:06 pm
AE-NMidlands wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:43 pm
Wales weather: Heavy rain, 60mph wind yellow warning
A yellow weather warning for wind has been issued for parts of south and west Wales on Saturday.

Heavy rain and gusts of 60 mph are possible in more exposed coastal areas, the Met Office said.
Did someone say they shut down abovw 55mph? Hopefuully it won't be quite as bad as forecast...
From what I have read, a gust needs to be nearer 80mph to shut one down. The 55mph shutdown is only if its sustained for a period of time.

Forecast looks like a nice sustained 30 to 40 mph wind in exposed places, couldn't be better, bring it on. :mrgreen:

https://www.nationalgrideso.com/documen ... %20between
The precise conditions required for a turbine to trip on HWSS vary between manufacturers, but are typically wind speeds of 25 m/s (56 mph) sustained for a preset period or for gusts of 35 m/s (79 mph).
55mph is info of ageneric nature gleaned from the net on a single Google search. We will I'm sure develop our own awareness of the limits as we go!
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Joeboy wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:03 am 55mph is info of a generic nature gleaned from the net on a single Google search. We will I'm sure develop our own awareness of the limits as we go!
How much info do we think might be shared with us? It's not as though they are competing against another supplier (as in retail) so secrecy isn't particularly necessary.
Congleton Hydro share some stuff now
With each newsletter, we try to show the key data from the system. A snapshot of the end of the month is shown above.
[below] and have plans for doing better:
Archie is monitored and controlled using a PLC (industrial Programmable Logic Controller). This, together with the appropriate software, monitors a host of variable parameters relevant to the weir and control equipment to ensure that we get the best possible performance and can safely generate the maximum possible amount of power from the water available to us. Our aim is to have some of this data available on the website so that you can view, for example, the actual water level, screw speed and amount of electrical energy currently being produced.
Which will definitely keep the community interest up...

Last edited by AE-NMidlands on Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Having put £3k into this one, I'm wondering about sticking another £1084 in either as a lump sum or over the 12 months which would take us up to 2144 watts, or invest the same money in a heat pump & hopefully reduce further against seasonal oil heater use. (we were OIL heated & stopped buying when that was 19p per litre, it was nasty & innefective)

What say you lads? (I feel bad every damn time I write "lads", but it is heavily male orientated here) ;)

Been waiting for a green initiative which I don't think is going to happen now.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Mr Gus wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:20 am Having put £3k into this one, I'm wondering about sticking another £1084 in either as a lump sum or over the 12 months which would take us up to 2144 watts, or invest the same money in a heat pump & hopefully reduce further against oil heater useage.

What say you lads? (I feel bad every damn time I write "lads", but it is heavily male orientated here) ;)
My view on this Gus is that inflation will erode the today value of the investment and it will become forgotten in a few years whereas the Watts bought remain will keep increasing in value if power costs return to a more normal yet consistently upward trend.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Joeboy wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:23 am
Mr Gus wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:20 am Having put £3k into this one, I'm wondering about sticking another £1084 in either as a lump sum or over the 12 months which would take us up to 2144 watts, or invest the same money in a heat pump & hopefully reduce further against oil heater useage.

My view on this Gus is that inflation will erode the today value of the investment and it will become forgotten in a few years whereas the Watts bought remain will keep increasing in value if power costs return to a more normal yet consistently upward trend.
and 25 years is a long time: the return on the money in Ripple can move with you and also it can be inherited when you no longer need it. The heat pump is tied to your house, and might or might not be a selling point.
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

AE-NMidlands wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:29 am
Joeboy wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:23 am

and 25 years is a long time: the return on the money in Ripple can move with you and also it can be inherited when you no longer need it. The heat pump is tied to your house, and might or might not be a selling point.
You also have the luxury of the next couple of weeks active running of WT1 to see how it goes. From that standpoint I do hope they are already in place with the app as its 2 years almost since it was spoken about. That way we can share live gauge info with you on WT1. :D

I will likely top up my investment in WT2 but only by a couple of hundred quid and it depends on the $ to £ coversion rate of BP & Shell for their dividends this month. Pantomime boo hiss notwithstanding, I am well tickled by the idea of Oil companies funding my Wind Turbine investments.
Last edited by Joeboy on Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs