Nowty Towers Vs UK Grid Storage

Stinsy

Re: Nowty Towers Vs UK Grid Storage

Post by Stinsy »

Surely it is time to disconnect from the gas grid?

Maybe you could convert your boiler to bottle gas for "emergencies" for a few years?

No standing charge on a gas bottle!

That £80 standing charge buys over 500kWh of 15p peak rate electric, or 1600kWh of 5p off-peak electric.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:17 am January is usually the worst month of the year for energy import here at Nowty Towers as its normally the lowest temperature and 2nd worst month of Solar PV generation. So here is the low down on my gas elimination and total energy reduction progress. I first compared Jan 2022 with last years figures and then looked as far back as I have consistent data for which was 2013.

My domestic gas is now less than 1% of the 2013 value and my peak rate import of leccy is less than 1% due to my own energy storage. :mrgreen:

Jan 2022 with 2 EVs.
Imported 34 kWh of gas and 2162 kWh of leccy, solar PV generation was 274 kWh.
Total kWh used was 2470 kWh. :D

Jan 2021 with 1 EV.
Imported 2395 kWh of gas and 934 kWh of leccy, solar PV generation was 232 kWh.
Total kWh used was 3329 kWh. :)

Jan 2013 with 0 EVs.
Imported 4118 kWh of gas and 458 kWh of leccy, solar PV generation was 108 kWh.
Total kWh used was 4684 kWh. :(

UK Grid must do better and match Nowty Towers performance with its gas consumption and intra day energy storage. :evil:
Excellent! :D
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
nowty

Post by nowty »

As announced in my Octopus Intelligent thread, Nowty Towers has voluntarily switched from a 5p Octopus Intelligent cheapslot to the newer 7.5p Octopus Intelligent cheapslot. Sounds nuts but it guarantees me a 7.5p cheapslot and fixes the standing charge all the way through next winter and who knows what the prices will be when my original contract runs out in September. :evil:

Folk may have remembered that my Smart Meter was approx 3.5 mins slow which has caused me some grief with the tariff and various timers had to be set with an offset to avoid being hit by peak rate. I was going to wait until the summer to complain about it as fear some sort of a forced reset may screw it up. But today, on the newer tariff, they must have done some sort of reset on the re-programming of my new rate as my smart meter is now ONLY 3 seconds slow, well I can live with that. :D

In view of my cheapslot price increase and the milder weather I have decided to switch off my storage heater boosting. I think my heatpump will now cope, especially with the increasing reliability of daytime Solar PV as we approach the March equinox. :twisted:
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Post removed
Last edited by Moxi on Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:38 pm As announced in my Octopus Intelligent thread, Nowty Towers has voluntarily switched from a 5p Octopus Intelligent cheapslot to the newer 7.5p Octopus Intelligent cheapslot. Sounds nuts but it guarantees me a 7.5p cheapslot and fixes the standing charge all the way through next winter and who knows what the prices will be when my original contract runs out in September. :evil:

Folk may have remembered that my Smart Meter was approx 3.5 mins slow which has caused me some grief with the tariff and various timers had to be set with an offset to avoid being hit by peak rate. I was going to wait until the summer to complain about it as fear some sort of a forced reset may screw it up. But today, on the newer tariff, they must have done some sort of reset on the re-programming of my new rate as my smart meter is now ONLY 3 seconds slow, well I can live with that. :D

In view of my cheapslot price increase and the milder weather I have decided to switch off my storage heater boosting. I think my heatpump will now cope, especially with the increasing reliability of daytime Solar PV as we approach the March equinox. :twisted:
A bit of a sorcerer apprentice day here. This seems early in year for this to happen!
I am slowly trimming back all the storage heater slots, switchbot on HWT is almost off. I'll slide its charging time around so it takes a bite out of the stack charge once the 5hour go faster window finishes. I am like this :o
Best bit is chucking as much PV as possible into EV to stave off any need to pull from grid. It's nice to be moving it around this way rather than the Oct inverted shuffle of shame. :)
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
nowty

Post by nowty »

Forecast here for all next week looks like 40kWh to 50kWh every day, I'm up to 40kWh today and there is still 5kW coming in from the PV. :D

And almost 3kW coming in from WT1 ! :lol: , and there will still be 2kW coming in at 7pm in the dark, yes, yes, yes. :shock:

On the Octopus turn down event last night between midnight and 2am I actually had to turn on the storage heaters for 2 hours to get the max rebate as I turned off the battery charger as I knew todays sun would charge up the home battery today. :o

Import at Nowty Towers is now falling off the cliff :mrgreen: , I note its pretty much equinox to equinox were we switch from minimal import to maximal import and vice versa.
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:22 pm
And almost 3kW coming in from WT1 ! :lol:
A mere 2.55kW from WT1 for us. How long before they (the rest of the Camelot denziens) come and 'get' us? :lol: Good point on Equinox to Equinox. I'm a few weeks off that balance.

I hope they are working on an accumulator graph to track gen per week or similar. I'm sure they are.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
nowty

Post by nowty »

Joeboy wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:30 pm
A mere 2.55kW from WT1 for us. How long before they (the rest of the Camelot denziens) come and 'get' us? :lol: Good point on Equinox to Equinox. I'm a few weeks off that balance.

I hope they are working on an accumulator graph to track gen per week or similar. I'm sure they are.
I'll be opening the bubbly once I can increment my ripple generation signature from zero to my first megawatt hour. :ugeek:
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:34 pm
Joeboy wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:30 pm

I'll be opening the bubbly once I can increment my ripple generation signature from zero to my first megawatt hour. :ugeek:
I'll see you a fortnight after!
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
nowty

Post by nowty »

7 days straight of 45+ kWh generated every day (not including WT1), normally I would be distilling water for SWMBO steam ironing by now !, but the EV tanks are large to fill and the house is still requiring heating and hot water without using the gas boiler.

We had 60 litres of ironing water by the end of last autumn but now are down to the last 10 litres.

Last couple of days have been much warmer so lots more surplus solar available to fill the EV tanks and tomorrow I think its time to start the water distiller. The distiller also has the side effect of heating the house from the recovery of latent heat so its not wasted at this time of year.

5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3