Part ownership of a Ripple Wind Turbine, fancy it?

Wind turbines
Mr Gus

Re: Part ownership of a Wind Turbine, fancy it?

Post by Mr Gus »

I get you AE, however how do you think it ties in with improving the home core in order to use less, wherever that energy is coming from?

Feel free to add your thoughts (all) but the thought of as low as 2 units of energy for the price of one is pretty blinkin well appealing & slices (not shaves) off your potential overall electricity use & modernises at the same time.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Mr Gus wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:02 pm I get you AE, however how do you think it ties in with improving the home core in order to use less, wherever that energy is coming from?
I agree with you that it is worth doing, and should be mandated by building regs. However it seems that we are a fairly extreme part of the UK population here - early adopters and all that.
Feel free to add your thoughts (all) but the thought of as low as 2 units of energy for the price of one is pretty blinkin well appealing & slices (not shaves) off your potential overall electricity use & modernises at the same time.
We shouldn't understimate Joe Public's suspicion of novelties, some of it well-justified given the snake-oil salesmen who have tried to exploit the green agenda - plus the outright fraudsters. Even with the govt. having pulled all green house-improvement funding we still get phone calls trying to talk us into stuff...
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Mr Gus wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:02 pm I get you AE, however how do you think it ties in with improving the home core in order to use less, wherever that energy is coming from?

I don't think we should ever stop the mantra, insulate, insulate, insulate. It's just so core to what we do.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Well that's it really.

Insulate up to & beyond the eyeballs = more lab type results for COP rating et al.

I wouldn't be putting the ASHP in a breezy shed, & there is always a few sheets of extra foil faced insulation to put somewhere.

I reckon that with a single head I can sort the living room whilst addressing further the bay window insulation, or with a two head unit, the front room, the dining room & the "getting there" home office hallway via an open door (wrong & crap I know, but worth trying) heat which may help my bloody cold (I refuse to heat it often) shower room.
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Post removed
Last edited by Moxi on Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Sadly infra red doesn't push moisture out as well as an active fan heater on for a short time with a window open to the conservatory.
As the temperature has been close to 13c today its not bad, however if a ASHP happened o reach the room by means of overflow, periodically, then i'd be happy.

But getting back to the gist, if I continue to use the kWh of a wind turbines prospective output on electric oil rad then that's less efficient so an investment in an ASHP is double bubble (or more)

Knocking back consumption via added efficiency should be pretty attractive right?
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Morning lads, 24hr countdown day? 8-)

5-9mph tomorrow, a challenge! Always wondered if they back feed as an electric motor to get it going then as an generator once running? Turns out they don't, another learning day!

https://www.turbinegenerator.org/wind/w ... ind-speed/
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
nowty

Post by nowty »

Wind does looks a bit light tomorrow !, but as long as there is enough wind for the blades to go around, even if not reaching the cut in speed, no one will care. The switch on event will still be a success. :mrgreen:

But if the button is pressed and nothing happens :oops: , might be better waiting till Friday.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:15 am Wind does looks a bit light tomorrow !, but as long as there is enough wind for the blades to go around, even if not reaching the cut in speed, no one will care. The switch on event will still be a success. :mrgreen:

But if the button is pressed and nothing happens :oops: , might be better waiting till Friday.
They should have stuck to their original plan and brought it online last week. Ah well, personally I wouldn't have made a live event of it as that's beholden to the weather. A quiet, filmed energise to be released to the press. The 'event' was meant to be a picnic or similar when fully operational. This is a riskier potential flat balloon in the hope of lifting profile and WT2 sales. Who, me, cynical?
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
nowty

Post by nowty »

Joeboy wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:26 pm
nowty wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:15 am Wind does looks a bit light tomorrow !, but as long as there is enough wind for the blades to go around, even if not reaching the cut in speed, no one will care. The switch on event will still be a success. :mrgreen:

They should have stuck to their original plan and brought it online last week. Ah well, personally I wouldn't have made a live event of it as that's beholden to the weather. A quiet, filmed energise to be released to the press. The 'event' was meant to be a picnic or similar when fully operational. This is a riskier potential flat balloon in the hope of lifting profile and WT2 sales. Who, me, cynical?
They might have even already done the operational filming, and its just a TV interview with Sarah doing her hysterical sales pitch pressing a fake button. Then they can splice a few bits together for a professional release. Ripple were asking if any locals who are members could turn up for TV interviews on Tues (tomorrow).
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3