Adding Pylontech battery ….

Lincs Robert

Re: Adding Pylontech battery ….

Post by Lincs Robert »

nowty wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:06 pm I am presuming your setting your Lux inverter to install a new battery pack, rather than just add the batter(ies) to the existing setup and confusing the inverter.

Does the LUX need a new firmware to utilise the new 'C' variants.
I shall try that next - it’s just been pointed out to me. The Lux unit software was updated fairly recently so I hope there aren’t any issues with C support.

Thanks
Lincs Robert

Post by Lincs Robert »

Stinsy wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 4:40 pm
Lincs Robert wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 4:23 pm Thing that confuses me is that it doesn’t seem to recognise it as a single battery system?
You've said that a few times now. But I don't know what you mean? How are you determining that?

When you click on the battery in the web interface what are the "BMS limit charge" and "BMS limit discharge" amounts? What is displayed as your SoC?
Hi again, I’ve got into the web interface & can report the SOC of each bank (4 x US2000) is currently about 76%, with charge & discharge both being 100 amps. That’s on the main monitoring screen, the rates come up if I click on the battery icon, but not if I do the same thing on the iPad app - which is what I use most of the time. I can’t see anywhere that tells me I have 4 batteries though. Videos I’ve seen on YouTube regarding adding another battery seem to make make no reference about informing the inverter that a new battery has been added.

I think I’ll sleep on it and have another attempt tomorrow…….

Thanks for bearing with me on this.

Cheers- Rob
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Lincs Robert wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:49 pm
Lincs Robert wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 4:23 pm Thing that confuses me is that it doesn’t seem to recognise it as a single battery system?
You've said that a few times now. But I don't know what you mean? How are you determining that?

When you click on the battery in the web interface what are the "BMS limit charge" and "BMS limit discharge" amounts? What is displayed as your SoC?
Hi again, I’ve got into the web interface & can report the SOC of each bank (4 x US2000) is currently about 76%, with charge & discharge both being 100 amps. That’s on the main monitoring screen, the rates come up if I click on the battery icon, but not if I do the same thing on the iPad app - which is what I use most of the time. I can’t see anywhere that tells me I have 4 batteries though. Videos I’ve seen on YouTube regarding adding another battery seem to make make no reference about informing the inverter that a new battery has been added.

Cheers- Rob
iPad app doesn't have that feature.

Anyway sounds like it is all working fine! 100A means you have 4x batteries acting as a single stack (it is 25A per battery in normal conditions).
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Lincs Robert

Post by Lincs Robert »

Stinsy wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:54 pm

Cheers- Rob

Anyway sounds like it is all working fine! 100A means you have 4x batteries acting as a single stack (it is 25A per battery in normal conditions).
Yes, but that’s the 4 “old” batteries- I haven’t tried it by adding the new 2000C, I think that’s a job for tomorrow- it’s getting dark now, so I’ll leave it well alone until daylight tomorrow.

Cheers
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Lincs Robert wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:04 pm
Stinsy wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:54 pm

Cheers- Rob

Yes, but that’s the 4 “old” batteries- I haven’t tried it by adding the new 2000C, I think that’s a job for tomorrow- it’s getting dark now, so I’ll leave it well alone until daylight tomorrow.

Cheers
Sorry I misunderstood. So you have 4x US2000B and 4x US2000C. In that case whack them all in a stack, sync them as described, and if it says "200A" in the web interface you have all 8 acting as a single stack!

Sorry if I'm still completely misunderstanding what you're trying to achieve. But: why isn't that what you did first of all?

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Lincs Robert

Post by Lincs Robert »

Hi,

Ok, so I had 4 x US2000 - doubled, each with a Lux ACS 3600 unit. Originally in a stack of 8, but then split in half to allow the second ACS unit to give a greater charge/discharge rate. That was all done & finished a couple of months ago & is working fine.

I’ve now bought two additional batteries, US2000C units, intending to add one to each stack for increased capacity purposes - it’s adding these that’s causing the headache.

Just plugging the C unit in as the new master to each stack (DC wiring cables added, CAN cable moved to C battery as master & new short RJ45 cable added) didn’t go as expected - with the C battery not being recognised by the Lux as being present. I tried just having the C battery connected, to master & slave, with the same result.

The DIP switch settings are confusing as the 1-4 positions on the 2000 become 4-1 on the 2000Cs.

So that’s where I am. The 2000Cs are brand new, and both Lux units had the latest software when the second one was added - so only a few months ago.

Hopefully that explains a bit further.

Cheers
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Lincs Robert wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:24 pm Hi,

Ok, so I had 4 x US2000 - doubled, each with a Lux ACS 3600 unit. Originally in a stack of 8, but then split in half to allow the second ACS unit to give a greater charge/discharge rate. That was all done & finished a couple of months ago & is working fine.

I’ve now bought two additional batteries, US2000C units, intending to add one to each stack for increased capacity purposes - it’s adding these that’s causing the headache.

Just plugging the C unit in as the new master to each stack (DC wiring cables added, CAN cable moved to C battery as master & new short RJ45 cable added) didn’t go as expected - with the C battery not being recognised by the Lux as being present. I tried just having the C battery connected, to master & slave, with the same result.

The DIP switch settings are confusing as the 1-4 positions on the 2000 become 4-1 on the 2000Cs.

So that’s where I am. The 2000Cs are brand new, and both Lux units had the latest software when the second one was added - so only a few months ago.

Cheers
Sorry for being dim! I think I understand now.

Try using the US2000C in a position other than top of the stack would be my first suggestion. Next suggestion would be to update the firmware of the US2000C and/or the Lux inverter(s).

Lincs Robert

Post by Lincs Robert »

Stinsy wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:35 pm

Cheers

Try using the US2000C in a position other than top of the stack would be my first suggestion. Next suggestion would be to update the firmware of the US2000C and/or the Lux inverter(s).
The 2000C manual specifically states that the newest battery should be the master, the 2000 units are 3 years old - but worth a try I suppose.
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Lincs Robert wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:43 pm
Stinsy wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:35 pm

Cheers

The 2000C manual specifically states that the newest battery should be the master, the 2000 units are 3 years old - but worth a try I suppose.
Sure Pylontech specify the new battery should be master. But if one way round doesn't work try the other. I'm frequently in situations where doing something how the manual tells me doesn't work, but doing it differently does work!

Another option is to connect them electrically but not electronically (if that makes sense). Basically have them connected up with the US2000C on top, but have the data cables connected as previously.

Lincs Robert

Post by Lincs Robert »

Worth a try🤞