Part ownership of a Ripple Wind Turbine, fancy it?

Wind turbines
John_S

Re: Part ownership of a Ripple Wind Turbine, fancy it?

Post by John_S »

If WT1 only is able to max out at 95% of its name plate rating, it would appear to me that they and/or the manufacturers mis-sold it in their offering document. Failure to perform at its name place rating was not disclosed as a risk factor.

Frankly, in my opinion as a retired Chartered Accountant and Corporate Treasurer with over 30 years experience in banking, albeit it mainly in treasury finance and accounting policy, I would be unable to sleep if I were the financial director/ chief financial officer of Ripple with their cavalier attitude to disclosure of risk. I appreciate that their requirements as a cooperative are less onerous than those of a plc but, frankly, they should aspire to better and should have been so advised by their legal advisers not withstanding get out of jail caveats.

Unfortunately I am unable to attend the AGM, but it would be interesting to ask if the turbine has ever achieved its name plate rating, for at least an hour, or if their is a realistic experience that it might.

John

PS. I am not negative about Ripple, I just would like to see the same level of professionalism as I strived for in my career.
nowty

Post by nowty »

John_S wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:31 pm If WT1 only is able to max out at 95% of its name plate rating, it would appear to me that they and/or the manufacturers mis-sold it in their offering document. Failure to perform at its name place rating was not disclosed as a risk factor.

Frankly, in my opinion as a retired Chartered Accountant and Corporate Treasurer with over 30 years experience in banking, albeit it mainly in treasury finance and accounting policy, I would be unable to sleep if I were the financial director/ chief financial officer of Ripple with their cavalier attitude to disclosure of risk. I appreciate that their requirements as a cooperative are less onerous than those of a plc but, frankly, they should aspire to better and should have been so advised by their legal advisers not withstanding get out of jail caveats.

Unfortunately I am unable to attend the AGM, but it would be interesting to ask if the turbine has ever achieved its name plate rating, for at least an hour, or if their is a realistic experience that it might.

John

PS. I am not negative about Ripple, I just would like to see the same level of professionalism as I strived for in my career.
I am fairly sure it did hit its max output in the early days on several occasions, but it did have a technical problem with the DNO sending signals to shut it down several times at high output. The July coop mtg minutes suggest this had not yet been sorted out and there was a data logger which had at that time not been analysed. It may well have done by now and the last few days has shown it operating very successfully indeed at very high output without any shutdowns albeit with a handful of percentage points down on max output.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:58 pm
John_S wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:31 pm If WT1 only is able to max out at 95% of its name plate rating, it would appear to me that they and/or the manufacturers mis-sold it in their offering document. Failure to perform at its name place rating was not disclosed as a risk factor.

John

I am fairly sure it did hit its max output in the early days on several occasions, but it did have a technical problem with the DNO sending signals to shut it down several times at high output. The July coop mtg minutes suggest this had not yet been sorted out and there was a data logger which had at that time not been analysed. It may well have done by now and the last few days has shown it operating very successfully indeed at very high output without any shutdowns albeit with a handful of percentage points down on max output.
From memory, I had a single day when I personally cracked 60kWh early in the year. Not there yet but 1 hour today produced a 2.4kWh production window. Pretty good for around 17mph winds at the time, will be hitting 20mph+ around midday from SSW today. I'd expect that to be maxing it out.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Good(?) To see the turbine take drop off as expected on the weather prediction 👍 This has been an accurate weather tracking day 😀
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

We have seen 73% of the whole of Sept WT take in the first 7 days of Oct. :shock: :o :D
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
nowty

Post by nowty »

Joeboy wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:28 am We have seen 73% of the whole of Sept WT take in the first 7 days of Oct. :shock: :o :D
The capacity factor for Oct should be on average about 32%.

So far up to midnight last night its 49.5%. :twisted:

I like looking at the jetstream forecast which gives a feel for how windy or calm its likely to be over a 2 week period. End of next week promising.
https://www.netweather.tv/charts-and-data/jetstream
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
nowty

Post by nowty »

The weatherman on the BBC said earlier, it going to be very windy at the end of the coming week. :twisted:

Looks like another several day run of high outputs coming. :mrgreen:
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
nowty

Post by nowty »

Joeboy, is this windy enough for you ? :twisted:

Update on Kirk Hill WT2
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:38 pm Joeboy, is this windy enough for you ? :twisted:

Update on Kirk Hill WT2
Nope! :twisted:
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:38 pm Joeboy, is this windy enough for you ? :twisted:

Update on Kirk Hill WT2
Nope! :twisted:

Cheers though!

42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2