EV trip to France

All things related to vehicles - EVs, transport, fuels
dan_b

Re: EV trip to France

Post by dan_b »

I'm afraid cross-channel border checks will only get worse from next year once the full EU Entry/Exit biometric checks are implemented.

Every UK Passport holder will have to have their fingerprints checked and a facial photograph taken, along with a data entry into the database.
This is because we will be fully treated as 3rd country visitors.

it's gonna be hell for the ferries, the Tunnel and Eurostar as none of those places were ever designed for that type of inspection regimen.
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Hang on, fingerprints, I already have a biometric passport, & the machines are pretty crap at reading, or there were swathes out of action & long queues for those that did) ..so what is the fingerprint malarkey, you are joking I hope?

In the meantime (since 2016) anyone can force entry en masse through europe to go " as far as they like" (to the country they like) without proper control or restrictions placed upon them, flouting & breaking "first safe country" !?

Wonder how many of those folks are fingerprinted? (& likely a group would claim we are picking on them if we do as part of both cross border processing & general asylum claims ..way down the road from that initial safe country they landed at, and point of surrender.

So I hope ypu are joking Dan or else there is a whole chasm of hatred in a ribbon tied box ready for the far right & likes of s*** stirrers with purpose at GBNews, & life is really going to get worse as polarizing factions make another political break.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Stig

Post by Stig »

My sister has lived in France for about 9 years and has the Carte de Sejour (residency permit) but is thinking of getting a French passport just to avoid the hassle at border control.
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

https://travel-europe.europa.eu/ees/gen ... rmation_en

Well Dan is right, does your head in the ratcheting down on people using border crossings legitimately now needing to do this whilst gendarmerie & EU govts willingly ignore illegals flow within their borders.

So does this mean our EU issued old passports with biometrics are suddenly defunct? doubtful but will have to read up, regardless an extra tier of security / intrusion & free for all where biometrics are concerned not far from now with this implementation.

Wonder how the EU right to be forgotten rules stand now as this takes it to a whole new level of "ah yes, but" :shock:
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
John_S

Post by John_S »

dan_b wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:43 am I'm afraid cross-channel border checks will only get worse from next year once the full EU Entry/Exit biometric checks are implemented.

Every UK Passport holder will have to have their fingerprints checked and a facial photograph taken, along with a data entry into the database.
This is because we will be fully treated as 3rd country visitors.

it's gonna be hell for the ferries, the Tunnel and Eurostar as none of those places were ever designed for that type of inspection regimen.
It is not clear to me whether the finger printing and photograph is required to be done

a) when applying for an ETIAS
b) first journey after obtaining an ETIAS
c) every journey

Logically, it should be a or b, but a lot of the press write it up as if it were c.

If it is b, I hope that there would be separate queues for cars where all occupants have been previously processed and for cars with one or more occupants requiring processing.

Somehow, I am pessimistic.
Stig

Post by Stig »

John_S wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:11 pm
It is not clear to me whether the finger printing and photograph is required to be done

a) when applying for an ETIAS
b) first journey after obtaining an ETIAS
c) every journey

Logically, it should be a or b, but a lot of the press write it up as if it were c.

If it is b, I hope that there would be separate queues for cars where all occupants have been previously processed and for cars with one or more occupants requiring processing.

Somehow, I am pessimistic.
My understanding is that it's sort of a+b, as the rules say that it can only be done at a port. It's been pointed out that this rule is bound to cause huge delays initially whereas setting up registration facilities in, say, town centres would allow travellers to have already been registered before arriving at the port. One would hope that registration facilities would at least be in place at ports some time before the new system is mandatory but given the lack of preparation we made for the customs checks due to brexit I'm not that optimistic either. :(
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

Gus - probably best for us not to get into the laws of refugees seeking asylum on this forum - but suffice to say, the "first safe country" line that the UK Govt turns out is a complete myth in terms of international law. what the UK has done is failed to provide safe means of entry for refugees into this country - by design. That's a completely different issue to regular cross-border travel for the purposes of trade and normal economic/social activity.

Mr Gus wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:14 am Hang on, fingerprints, I already have a biometric passport, & the machines are pretty crap at reading, or there were swathes out of action & long queues for those that did) ..so what is the fingerprint malarkey, you are joking I hope?

In the meantime (since 2016) anyone can force entry en masse through europe to go " as far as they like" (to the country they like) without proper control or restrictions placed upon them, flouting & breaking "first safe country" !?

Wonder how many of those folks are fingerprinted? (& likely a group would claim we are picking on them if we do as part of both cross border processing & general asylum claims ..way down the road from that initial safe country they landed at, and point of surrender.

So I hope ypu are joking Dan or else there is a whole chasm of hatred in a ribbon tied box ready for the far right & likes of s*** stirrers with purpose at GBNews, & life is really going to get worse as polarizing factions make another political break.
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Dan, fingerprinting is going beyond the formal passport papers, it is very convenient & completely unnecessary considering how hyped up in terms of certainty the facial recognition with the accompanying document is.

More, is nigh on accusatory as to your intent as a traveller having jumped through the pre-requisite hoops.

Retention time for your data is 3 years, so many travellers are going to be forever in the system due to the nature of travel.

How we got to fingerprinting is likely part of the whole containment & prevention mess so it cannot be pussyfooted around from either side as to why it is now implemented.

The whole safe country thing is a reasonable expectation, & based on a different time not long after ww2, the exploitation has in part led us to this point of ratcheting up, it meant updated registries for another WW catayclysm, & people like the red cross working efficiently to identify without putting their own folk at risk looking for people, or so that when they did walk into a zone that suffered decimated populace they'd be more accurate logging & updating (for starters) a bit like not wasting police time by coming forward & presenting yourself to save costly resources.

Just like registering your whereabouts at an embassy of your country (if in a big city) ..or town hall, policeman, etc ...its not rocket science, ..if you don't give up your digit prints you are now to be refused entry to the EU, so they've got you by the balls for travel compliance not dissimilar to china now, & we moan about them in relation to human rights, yet seem to be doing the exact same thing, ..it is very confusing as to necessity.

Does this mean the entire EU is now to be fingerprinted & uploaded then? (serious question) biometric facial data is surely enough considering the "look straight on, no emotions shown" requirements of the passport system

NB there ARE a handful (pun intended) of eu countries which tend to do forefingers of each hand for instance, but again in terms of softening a blow that strips you of privacy even further that element is not getting out there in terms of contextual reportage, & of course fingerprinting can mean 1-10 digits .. then used in a variety of ways that could leave us all very exposed, it's not as if there are major data breaches every week right? ..once out there will 12 months "experian membership" really cut it! ?

Not much left to take after this.

& then there is the "corrections cost us money" which leads to things like this...

https://www.theguardian.com/law/2023/au ... -malkinson.
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
ClockmanFRA

Post by ClockmanFRA »

For a French Carte sejour, (permement residency carte,) and French passport, your fingerprints are indeed taken and put onto a file and in the FR Gov data base system.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Ah BREXIT, an excellent example of fools having the vote and pulling a trigger they dont understand. The downside of democracy. :roll:

Apologies, I'm a little thin of skin on brexit and its outcome(s). :twisted:

I have no problem with border crossing rules. For folk who flap about data & biometrics, simple. Don't go, let the passport lapse. You'll feel better for it. 8-)

Dan, glad it went well sounds like a good road trip. :D
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees