EV trip to France

All things related to vehicles - EVs, transport, fuels
Mr Gus

Re: EV trip to France

Post by Mr Gus »

We already have biometric passports joe & there is fraud within it for over a decade.

This is an extension on what we are told already works (how many data-points on a facial image recognition point? ...which is SO good that the police here have been dropping it onto streets to use it questionably!

Therefore what we've been told versus what they are now implementing is MORE.

To assume anyone moaning about this is a brexit duffer whinge is just horse 5h1t, & potential gaslighting as a result.

it is more data demanded, not long after proper biometric airport scanners were introduced, to be blunt, it was only in 2019/2020 that we encountered the new biometric stand passport machines being used as frequent uk fliers, this being the passport my daughter has held since its early introduction here, & now travel needs more?

Is there even room on our joint EU passport memory to put this on, is it full set, partial or what, all of which I've asked at on this thread, (it may be that there is 66kb of room for data storage total on some, no idea whether this is across the EU board or numbers advised to be taken up by individual govts & done ad hoc.

Misuse of data is rampant, considering the ramping up of russian anti western europe sentiment, yet another target for hack & release of unique info, testing of the biometric auto-gates also highlighted considerable errors in the system with misidentification between 6-8% (no idea what the error rate is for a live person) but reports are that people who have mistakenly swapped passports have been let through via miss-identification.

Our own police were issued with portable fingerprint scanners, they failed, (& also neglected to disclose the error rates)

Fraudulent issuing of false passports has been going on a long time, (France has been caught up in this, doubtful they are the only ones) with a corrupt system already in place what's the point (see the EU meeting link about this at the bottom of the page, for one of the deemed less corrupt countries within the EU fold)

(wife also has an expensive fingerprint scanner & associated software at work for hard drug access amongst other things such as hours logging of staff, it doesn't work well in that case either, the key is meant as a back up only)

The big brother watch website has some interesting data specifically on uk use of facial recognition (as part of it doesn't work info)
https://bigbrotherwatch.org.uk/2023/05/ ... tatistics/

Incidentally, due to various injuries the conduction element utilised in more modern fingerprint scans than those that merely match a few (maybe 3,5, 7 points to verify) don't necessarily work with my fingers, fingers are by nature prone to damage & change.
Scarring, wounds etc, whilst temporary can easily hold you up from your ongoing travel as it may throw a spanner in the works of verification, ...missed connections et al, with uncertainty as to liability for costs incurred.

Chemo drugs amongst others can cause change (loss) of fingerprints, as can the type of irritants found within "poison ivy" & "poison oak"

Snippet: BIG BROTHER WATCH TEAM / MAY 22, 2023

The vast majority of matches recorded by the Metropolitan Police from its deployments of live facial recognition over the years have been false.

85%, or six out of every seven matches, have been false.
15%, one in seven alerts, were a correct match.

Over here in 2022, UK Government rejected a House of Lords report calling for the introduction of regulations and mandatory training to counter the negative impact that the current deployment of surveillance technologies has on human rights and the rule of law. The evidence that the rules around face recognition need to change are there–many are just unwilling to see or do anything about it.

Even if picked up & subsequently cleared of wrongdoing imagery (in whatever form) may easily stay on the database as a flaggable digital suspect
False flagging can implicate you in crimes you did not commit & as to how the police react to you in approach & detainment.

The fingerprinting will if not already be linked up beyond passport validation data, & therein amplifying its misuse & opportunities to manipulate & mis-use.

(over here folk who were cleared of committing criminal offenses it is a lottery as to removal of the flag based on recent data requests to make good ..& all the implications that go with it).

The technology is not mature enough, & the integrity of those using it, has a long history of criminal behaviour without this added on.

When I used the tech I had to reinsert my passport 4 times only for staff to intervene & open the gates.. indicative of the flawed nature? very likely.
I don't let people take my passport out of my sight to "make a copy" for application purposes because it is a vital document.

If you have an early issue biometric passport it is very easy to clone the data as borne out by Lukas Grunwold way back in time using bog standard kit in a not dissimilar manner to taking cash from close proximity touchless enabled cards is now.

See this discussion.
https://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/ ... -passports

And anyone who can be bothered can read up reporting via https://www.eff.org/ with regards to biometrics & cross borders info, tracking devices air tile type trackers , the latest UN cybercrime convention thrashing out meeting.. etc, etc..

If you are travelling have copies of the picture page ready so that A you have a form of duplicate if yours is lost, B, so that companies who insist on a copy, don't take your passport out of sight for possible pernicious use, (then ask them about their data retention policy pertaining to their action obviously) "it's company policy" is not a clear explanation.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

:roll: Just your opinion and tbh, now more akin to a patented Gus paranoid rant (again).

I travel a lot, recently by ferry, vehicle and plane, multiple borders in and outside the EU and we have had minimal hassle. Any I have had was Covid related.

That Clockman met a jumped up.official with a chip isn't a surprise. They are out there, the more the dice are rolled? Smile, drive on and instantly forget about them. Works for me. 8-)

That you want to take it to extremes of 'what ifs' gus is entirely up to you but you seem to do that with anything you can. Me, I'll keep travelling and not care a single jot for big brother.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

Thanks, it was good fun and remarkably smooth all things considered. Haven't looked at the bill for the Liber-T Peage fees yet though, that might come as a bit of a shock - they're another thing that really does make for less stress on the Autoroutes it has to be said.

I'm back into the cosy bosom of the EU next Thursday - driving to Amsterdam for work for a medical congress. Will need to look at the route and chargers on the way/ at my destination. Will post my findings!
Joeboy wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:31 am Dan, glad it went well sounds like a good road trip. :D
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

dan_b wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:23 am Thanks, it was good fun and remarkably smooth all things considered. Haven't looked at the bill for the Liber-T Peage fees yet though, that might come as a bit of a shock - they're another thing that really does make for less stress on the Autoroutes it has to be said.

I'm back into the cosy bosom of the EU next Thursday - driving to Amsterdam for work for a medical congress. Will need to look at the route and chargers on the way/ at my destination. Will post my findings!
Joeboy wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:31 am Dan, glad it went well sounds like a good road trip. :D
Holland is absolutely hoaching with EV charge points, hoaching I say! Have a pancake and a smoke for us!
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

That's a Scots word I've not heard before - assume it means "plentiful"?!
Joeboy wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:31 am Holland is absolutely hoaching with EV charge points, hoaching I say! Have a pancake and a smoke for us!
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

dan_b wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:40 am That's a Scots word I've not heard before - assume it means "plentiful"?!
Joeboy wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:31 am Holland is absolutely hoaching with EV charge points, hoaching I say! Have a pancake and a smoke for us!
Very well extrapolated! :D
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs