Small things matter

Wood stoves, pellets and other bio-fuels
Joeboy

Re: Small things matter

Post by Joeboy »

Stinsy wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:27 pm I made a big batch of butter chicken the other week. There was loads of sauce leftover after I decanted into my freezer tubs so I got a bog pack of "fire pit" sausages cheap in Tesco (they were selling off all the BBQ meat) and made "sausage curry".

Sausage curry used to be a staple of my uni days!
How was it?
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Joeboy wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:28 pm
Stinsy wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:27 pm I made a big batch of butter chicken the other week. There was loads of sauce leftover after I decanted into my freezer tubs so I got a bog pack of "fire pit" sausages cheap in Tesco (they were selling off all the BBQ meat) and made "sausage curry".

How was it?
I thought it was really good. The Mrs thought it was "too sausagy".
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Stinsy wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:34 pm

How was it?
Sounds OK to me! Our batch cooking is now at the limits of the current cookware (1 gallon). I think we are up at about 12 to 16 portions. Mostly they go to The Black Hole (Son of sons). :lol: :lol:
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

Years ago I shared a workplace with a group of RN Clearance Divers. They kept a large pot on the galley stove, bubbling away for days on end, that was just topped up whenever the level got a bit low. No idea what was in it, other than it was always stuff out of ration packs. Mostly "babies heads", I suspect*. Always smelt mouthwatering, and was just the thing for a group of divers coming in from a training dive just a few tens of metres from the galley in the range building at Porthkerris Point.

* "Babies Heads" = jackspeak for tinned meatballs
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

Nah, babies heads (in the North West) are steak and kidney puddings (suet) from the chippy.

Right size, colour, appearance and a little dimple where the fontanelle should be :?
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Joeboy wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:36 pm
Stinsy wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:34 pm
How was it?
Sounds OK to me! Our batch cooking is now at the limits of the current cookware (1 gallon). I think we are up at about 12 to 16 portions. Mostly they go to The Black Hole (Son of sons). :lol: :lol:
I have a 10L beast bought in ikea many years ago:

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Oldgreybeard wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:47 pm Years ago I shared a workplace with a group of RN Clearance Divers. They kept a large pot on the galley stove, bubbling away for days on end, that was just topped up whenever the level got a bit low. No idea what was in it, other than it was always stuff out of ration packs. Mostly "babies heads", I suspect*. Always smelt mouthwatering, and was just the thing for a group of divers coming in from a training dive just a few tens of metres from the galley in the range building at Porthkerris Point.

“Perpetual stew” is the food humans evolved eating! It is amazing that few of us have even tasted it these days.

Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Stinsy wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:02 pm
Oldgreybeard wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:47 pm Years ago I shared a workplace with a group of RN Clearance Divers. They kept a large pot on the galley stove, bubbling away for days on end, that was just topped up whenever the level got a bit low. No idea what was in it, other than it was always stuff out of ration packs. Mostly "babies heads", I suspect*. Always smelt mouthwatering, and was just the thing for a group of divers coming in from a training dive just a few tens of metres from the galley in the range building at Porthkerris Point.

“Perpetual stew” is the food humans evolved eating! It is amazing that few of us have even tasted it these days.
Agreed, get it cooking, keep it cooking. Love the pot!
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

Stinsy wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:58 pm I have a 10L beast bought in ikea many years ago:
Yep, got one too - and now the Crocodile Dundee moment - we also have one about 50% bigger we use for jam making or any other big job. Trouble is, has to live in the garage as it’s too big for the cupboards.

Could definitely get a big batch of perpetual stew on the go. :lol: :lol:
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Bugtownboy wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:13 pm
Stinsy wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:58 pm I have a 10L beast bought in ikea many years ago:
Yep, got one too - and now the Crocodile Dundee moment - we also have one about 50% bigger we use for jam making or any other big job. Trouble is, has to live in the garage as it’s too big for the cupboards.

Could definitely get a big batch of perpetual stew on the go. :lol: :lol:
OK, Croc moment, was in a shop on Sunday and saw a proper old skool 2nd hand catering pot, I reckon about 25ltrs. I looked at SWMBO and she cracked up laughing and then said no Joe, just no. Fair enough! :D

It's still there...... :twisted:
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs